“A weekend getaway”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I went for the weekend, not knowing what to expect. The hotel was recommended to us by a friend. The location was right across the street from the beach. The room had a balcony and faced the ocean so the sunrise was great every morning. Hotel was great, nice room (we had a room on the 10th floor a no kids floor). We were traveling without our kids. The service was great and the staff very friendly. Location was perfect and gave us a reason to want to head back that way again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling without kids and do not want the noise of kids running around pick the 10th flo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SanLuisGM, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

It's great to hear you enjoyed everything about your stay with us and we look forward to having you return again soon!

There are newer reviews for The San Luis Resort

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Wish I could have enjoyed my room and view. The hotel looked lovely walking in. I was excited to stay the 2 nights...however....We were placed next to a room that was under construction.(There were several rooms on that floor that were begin renovated). I asked the front desk clerks twice if there was construction at night or early morning and was promised "NO". Even though we were assured they wouldn't start until "late morning"....we were awoken with the sounds of smashing bathroom tiles, air guns and saws at 7:05 AM. The room and bathroom next door and the area they were working was against our headboard. I thought I was going to be killed by a stray air gun nail.

Then when I went to shower......the shower did not work. Their solution.....head down stairs through the lobby to use the spa showers (which meant I would have to drag all my stuff down stairs JUST to shower) or they offered to change rooms. OH.....here is the kicker.....they did not have a room to switch to until the afternoon. We checked out even though we were supposed to be there another night. So sad. I wish I could have enjoyed my stay.

The other thing that I found bothersome was the rooms that were bing renovated still have the beds and furniture in them. Maning all the dusk dn chemicals they were using were covering the beds etc. Sure there was a plastic sheet hung up....but with HOLES and tears in them. I would NOT want to sleep on a bed that was full of dust and chemicals like that.

3  Thank RaynesGame

Thank you for your review and we do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We are currently renovating our Guest bathrooms and are sorry you were placed next to a room that is being renovated. If I can be of further assistance, please email ehimes@ldry.com.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for one night prior to our cruise in Oct 2012. We booked the room a couple of months in advance. I kept checking the website & found the rates dropped at least twice before our stay. So, I called the hotel each time & had them honor the rate! We stayed in a Club Ten room for $209! I guess as the time nears, if the hotel isn't sold out, they will lower thier rates to fill it up! We originally had booked a Premier King for $349! We talked to a gal that was staying at the Holiday Inn Resort, next door, (they are owned by the same person..he also owns the Hitlon there too and guests can share the facilities at all three).... her room at the Holiday Inn was higher in price than our Club Ten room! So, I guess the old saying is true...Buyer Beware!

Valet parking was free as well (with the Club Ten room). We also were allowed to leave our car (for free) for the whole time we were gone on our cruise. They had a shuttle to take us to/from the pier...but it only ran at a certain time & we didn't want to wait.... so we got a cab to the pier on sail day.

When we arrived Saturday (noon) our room wasn't ready. We were told it wouldn't be ready until 4:00. So, we got our swim suits, left our car with the Valet & headed to the BEAUTIFUL "H2 0 Bar & Pool". I decided I'd check out the spa to see if I could get a pedicure. The gals there were awesome! They were able to get me in right away & I had the best pedicure I have ever had! It took almost 2 hours & by the time I made it back to the pool....they called my cell # to say our room was ready! They offered us a glass of champagne, yummmm. :-) Our room was the last one on the floor to the right of the elevators.... it's a LONG way from the eleveators. # 1048 if I remember right. It was beautiful! A bottle of champagne on ice was waiting for us! All the rooms have balcony's & face the Gulf. In the hallway, there are windows that face the other side of the island... so you can see the cruise ships! The bathroom was incredible, not huge, but big enough. Ours had a shower/tub combo...I'd have preferred just a nice sized shower.... but it was ok. The coolest part about the bathroom was the TV in the mirror!

We had our breakfast (complementary) delivered to our room the next morning.... this was the only "hitch" in our stay. The menu for the breakfast is pretty cut & dry...you have to choose bacon OR sausage, but since I can't eat the breads (Gluten intollerant), I wrote bacon & sausage...no breads. I got what I'd asked for, but was charge $9.95 for two slices of sausage! I called them & complained... the guy on the other end was curt & I told him to just come get the sausage & remove it from my bill. There was some confusion as they "charged" us a tip amount, even tho my husband had tipped in cash. Anyway ..... within a few minutes...there he was to get the plate of sausage! OMG!! REALLY? He also wanted to make sure that we had indeed tipped the original person who delivered our breakfast before he was satisified to remove the tip charge. AMAZING!

Also, we had four drinks, (two beers & two margarita's) and one appitizer (lump crab, quacamole & a "few" chips) the night we arrived at the H2 0 Bar.... our bill was $86! It's a beautiful hotel & the staff is great (all except the room service dude)... but it's very expensive.

However, my pedicure was priced competively at $66.

The Valet guys are great & call you by name everytime they see ya.

When it was time to check out & head to the ship (Sunday) ... we asked where to park our car... they told us "in the back lot by the Tennis Courts". So, the hubs parked our car right under a lightpole, right by the Tennis Courts as directed. When we returned the following Sunday morning... they had roped off most of the parking lot & there were "show cars" parking within the roped off area.... our car & one other was the only ones left in there that weren't part of that event. There was a large note on our car saying that they had an event scheduled for that day in this lot & that if our car was not moved, they would have it towed! REALLY????? All I can say is THANK GOODNESS they didn't tow it, cuz they would have had one VERY unhappy lady on thier hands if they had. It wouldn't have been pretty. But they didn't & our cab driver found a way into the roped off area & took us to our car & we were off the property in a matter of minutes.

This is an awesome property & I was so glad I got to stay there. Had I stayed there at the original rate we had booked for a Premium King ($349)..... I don't think I'd have been as happy with it, but getting a Club Ten room at the rate we did ($209)...it was worth every penny. Would I stay here again??? Only if I can get a great rate again!

1  Thank SRVFAN4EVR

We're pleased you chose to stay with us prior to your cruise from Galveston. We do offer complimentary parking while you are cruising as well as complimentary shuttle transfers to and from the cruise terminal. The next time you are in Galveston we look forward to having you back!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The San Luis offers all the things one needs for several days stay, and is well located on the island. However, rooms are pretty basic to be calling this a resort. Plus, the entire property could use some refreshing. We had to call maintenance to manually switch from a/c to heat, then again a couple days later to switch back to a/c. The level of quality service from housekeeping is abysmal. Including one of my pet peeves of only rinsing glasses and cups in bathroom sink before returning them to service. If this were not the host hotel for our event, we'd have stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: All rooms have great gulf views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

We appreciate your feedback about your stay and hope your conference was a success. Housekeeping removes all glassware from our Guest rooms and sanitizes them before returning the glasses to another Guest room, rather than rinse them in the sink. We hope you were able to enjoy the 32-acre Resort during your stay.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We initally went to the Stockman for dinner and it was SOOOOO good, we decided to spend the night. Our water was just the best and even checked to see if there were rooms available. There were and we jumped at the chance to stay. It was perfect. Would stay time and time again! Breakfast in our room was as good as dinner the night before and our roomservice attendent was helpful and worth the extra tipping.

Room Tip: All the rooms over look the Gulf. We stayed on the 10th floor and it was awesome! The balcony was...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Happy Birthday! We're glad you enjoyed our award-winning The Steakhouse for dinner and took the opportunity to stay the night with us! We look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

She was still in the room getting dressed when we got there, so I went to see her. I was surprised at the room. While it did have a balcony with an ocean view, it was still very basic with two beds, and a small bathroom. Seems to me that a hotel as expensive as this one is, it would have a more fancy room. I didn't see anything special about the room. She got married under the gazebo; the hotel's sound system wasn't working, so no microphone to hear the ceremony. Then we returned to the inside of the hotel, near the bar area for the reception. The pasta buffet was actually pretty good - two types of pasta/sauces with the option of sausage, chicken, shrimp or veggies to put on top, as well as a salad and breadsticks. The bar was right next to the buffet, so the option to purchase a drink was available. The dance floor was tiny to say the least, no more than 4 or 5 couples could dance at a time. Overall it was a nice wedding, but I think the hotel itself was overpriced. We looked at staying here, but opted to stay somewhere more affordable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

It sounds like your friends wedding was wonderful and we're glad you were able to visit our property. We are currently remodeling our bathrooms- adding a sliding door, additional shelving, glass shower door and other enhancements for our Guests. We hope you'll choose to stay with us the next time you're in Galveston.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I were married at this hotel 27 years ago last Friday. When we arrived they poured us a glass of champagne and were excited for us. The concierge sent a bottle up to our room with chocolate covered strawberries that night. Sweet! Everyone as super friendly. Both the steakhouse and the cafe had great food and ambience. The h2o bar is awesome with heaters and a fire pit which we needed when the cold front blew thru. The hot tub was great but needed to be hotter the second night. Our bed was comfortable and everything was super clean. A refrigerator in the room would be nice but you can get one but you have to pay extra. Galveston has made a lot of improvements and is more friendly to men. Not just ladies shopping. We will be back.

Room Tip: Use your AARP card if you have one
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on celebrating your 27th wedding anniversary- and we're delighted you chose to stay with us! We're so pleased to hear that it was a fabulous weekend and we look forward to having you return for your 28th anniversary, if not sooner!