“THE hotel to stay at if you're hotel-ing it. Top floor is awesome!”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Frequent Traveler
“THE hotel to stay at if you're hotel-ing it. Top floor is awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights on a "girls trip" after a work trip nearby. Went over to Galveston without any hotel reservations, thinking being that in "off season" surely I could find a place to stay. I've been to Galveston before and know that some of the hotels are a little scary, and that many condos on the beach require a minimum number of nights stay (drove by the condos which looked uninhabited). I had seen this hotel before when there during the summer but it was completely booked and couldn't get a room. Hotel had quite a few people staying there even in the "off season". The hotel is gorgeous, definitely looks like a resort, I have pictures and will upload instead of describing the visual. Staff at registration and inside hotel was beyond courteous at all times. At registration, I told the person that I was there on a whim for a girls trip and wanted to have a nice peaceful time. The room rate quoted seemed somewhat high for the season and I asked about a rate that I had seen online. I was offered an outstanding rate for the weekday night, and a pretty decent rate for the weekend night, so instead of staying just one night I stayed two. Even better, I was offered a room on the penthouse/top floor accessible by room key only. The room was nice, not anything overly crazy, but it had a nice big king size bed with comfortable bedding, a lounge chair, a work desk, and a flat screen tv, relaxing decor. I had seen reviews that the rooms at this hotel were small, but the room I had was not small, it was decent sized and comfortable. Best of all, it had a balcony (I think all the rooms did) looking out to the ocean that had outside chairs and the most awesome view. This is one hotel that really is as close as you can get other than the condos, it's on the seawall right across the street, located about midways down the boulevard and in the middle of all the action. You can't leave the doors open all the time because of the moisture from the humidity, but the ocean and pool sounds from down below are as good as relaxing at a spa. The room was very clean and smelled clean, which is important to me. I thoroughly enjoyed this room and next time when in Galveston I will book on that top floor no matter what the cost. A bonus on the top floor, pretty much an unlimited supply of candy (chocolate, the good stuff) and bottled water in the main lounge area. Turn down service with chocolate candies at night, nice touch. Also they leave a card with the projected weather. They also had a continental breakfast in the morning out in the lounge area; nothing too great but awesome to tide you over if you're not ready to get dressed and go out to breakfast yet. The only down side was with the air pressure if you let go of the room doors the doors slam shut fairly loud - we had sevearl kids in the big suite just down the way and they constantly were letting their door slam. The bathroom was pretty small but who goes to Galveston to spend time in the bathroom, it did have an extra vanity with sink and electrical plugs immediately outside the bathroom which made up for the bathroom being small. I also had an idiot next door smoking, smoke was coming through the adjoining doorway and strongly in my room...called the front desk and I wasn't really sure what they did...I had to call again an hour or so later...but it did stop. The hotel does not allow smoking they told me even on the balcony which is perfect for me - I don't smoke and breathing somebody else's smoke bothers me greatly. Great snack service like room service (giant cookies kinda stuff). Ate in the hotel restraunt once, excellent food, excellent drinks, excellent service, kinda pricey but not anything unexpected most hotel restraunts are pricey. They also have a restraunt/bar with live music but the line to be seated was too long and didn't want to wait. Ihop within walking distance, famous steak place next to that (totally jam packed at night). Didn't have time to enjoy the pool/bar/lounge area outside and weather was a little cool, but the entire area is inviting and beautiful, have a swim up bar. I was recently there for a a large event and had the opportunity to view other hotels along the seawall, and also up in the bay. If you like a really nice hotel with a great atmosphere, THIS is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Top floor!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
We were delighted to have you stay with us for your weekend trip to Galveston and look forward to having you back on our VIP floors soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

My family and I have stayed here a couple of times. The rooms are quite large and we had two sinks, which was convenient. I believe all rooms have a nice view of the ocean, but you have to pay more to be on the top floors. We did not and the view was still lovely. The room and hotel were very clean and modern. Only the lobby furniture is showing signs of wear. The grounds are beautiful and give plenty of opportunities for photos against the gorgeous flowers, grass and trees. The best part of the hotel is the fabulous pool area. The pool was large and heated, with a swim-up bar and lounge area for adults. There is plenty of room for kids to play as well. There is also a hot tub and a grotto hot tub and slide. It was great for swimming under the stars. The pool service was a bit slow and they did not have a great variety of food, but what was available was good. The breakfast buffet was good, but a little on the bland side. The bar was lovely and cozy. They have a small, adequate gym in the basement (no views). Don't forget to visit the resident parrot. Apparently if you don't talk to him he shouts at you after you leave!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ReneeInt
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
We are delighted you and your family chose to stay with us again! Soon, we will be renovating our lobby area and have just over the past month added new lobby furniture; you must return in the coming months to see our completed renovations! We are glad you and your family were able to enjoy our heated pool, waterslide and hot tub. We do offer a limited version of our Cafe menu poolside; if you ask one of our servers they will be glad to assist with a wider variety of food. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to having you back soon!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

A later than planned check-in resulted in an upgrade to a room on the “penthouse” floor – and the view was outstanding. The hotel, pool and grounds appeared well taken care of but unfortunately I was in town for a business conference... which means that I really needed a comfortable place to sleep and to do a little work.

The view was inspirational at sunset, but the internet connection was crap – my assumption is that they throttled the download speed but regardless of what they did it made it impossible to work online through a vpn. Instead of being able to work from the “comfort” of my room I just stayed later than I wanted to at the office.

Regarding comfort… if only the AC had been able to overcome the excess humidity in the room and the slight eye-watering essence of airborne mold that made my allergies twitch… and if only the bed had been more comfortable than some 2x4s spread across pair of sawhorses. Thankfully I compensated for both issues by purchasing some over the counter nighttime sniffling sneezing coughing aching stuffy head fever so you can rest medicine the next day from a Kroger down the street and got some sleep for the remainder of my stay.

If I was coming back to Galveston for personal reasons I might come here for the pool… but I would be more likely to go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Derek C
Thesanluisresort, Manager at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
I am sorry to hear that our Internet speed was not compatible for your needs. We are in the middle of a 2-part upgrade to our Internet services at the property. We recently increased the number of WiFi access points for our guest rooms. The second part of our upgrade will take place over the next few weeks as we upgrade our circuit to 45MB's per second. This new system should fix all Internet issues regarding accessibility and speed. I also apologize for your AC not cooling the room to your desired temperature and have shared your review with our Engineering Department to further inspect. We are pleased you enjoyed our Penthouse floor and all of its amenities and would love the opportunity to correct our mistakes from your visit last week. If I can be of further assistance, please email me at ehimes@ldry.com

Regards,
Elizabeth Himes
Brand Manager
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed at the San Luis a few times and I still believe that it is the best place to stay in Galveston! This past trip was for business; however it still lived up to my expectations. I have also stayed here for a bachelorette weekend and it was perfect for that too. If you are bringing children, I would recommend Moody Gardens because of all of the activities and attractions. But, there is much more of a beach resort feel at the San Luis. The pool and view of the beach is fabulous. The hotel has a hip/ modern but classic feel to it. The H20 pool bar is a fun place to hang out day or night. The steakhouse/seafood restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday, so be aware of that. They also have an awesome talking parrot in the lobby during the day. I stayed on one of the top two floors of the hotel and the view is great- I believe that these are the VIP rooms and cost a little more. But, they come with free bottled water, snacks, and continental breakfast in the hallway. The customer service is great here too. The carpet in my room was damp from a previous guest and the maintence staff brought me truffles for the inconvenience. Great hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
We are pleased to hear that you have returned to our property many times. Thank you for your continue patronage and we look forward to your next visit with us!
Pasadena, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I just go married over the weekend two weeks ago and was very excited to spend a night at this hotel. Looking at the website I really thought I was going to get what I was paying for. What would you expect to get for $367 a night? Well I expected to get exactly what I was looking at when I booked online. From my point of view it was false advertisement. The room was not worth even half of what I paid. I was told by everyone I know not to go because it was too expensive and not as nice as a cheaper hotel. They were right. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Micehlle M
Congratulations on your recent marriage! And I am so sorry to hear that our property did not meet your expectations. If you can share the issues you encountered during your visit with us, I'd like to rectify the situation. Please email me at ehimes@ldry.com and I welcome any feedback as well as what you were disappointed in with your stay.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We flew into Houston from Chicago for our Spring Break, spent the night grabbed a rent a car and were driving down to Galveston when we received a phone call from the Hotel informing us our reservation had been cancelled due to over-booking. No help to find another hotel, no offer of compensation for all of our trouble, no manager even on duty to speak with us during the call. Overbooked on Spring Break? who is running this place? Even worse who Owns it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Travelercomet
Greetings from Galveston! We are disappointed to hear that you had a poor experience at our property. It is our policy to never call a guest and cancel their reservation, even if we are in an oversold situation. The only time we will reach out to our guests before they arrive is if the credit card they provided is declined. If our hotel is in an oversold situation, when our guests check in, it is our policy to find alternate accommodations for them, which we pay for.
Additionally, each of our employees is empowered to enhance the experience we provide for our guests. We have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, should an issue arise that needs attention from Management, so someone should have been able to speak with you.
If you can provide your name and scheduled arrival date, I would love to investigate your issue further and provide follow-up. I can be reached at ehimes@ldry.com and look forward to your email.

Regards,
Elizabeth Himes
Brand Manager
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great get-away spot with your family or friends! It's a beautiful property and the hotel is AWESOME! The tiki bar is is super cool too. Stayed here with my family when I was younger and several times with friends. Family orientated kind of place, so you're guaranteed a good night's sleep. Right across from the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
We are thrilled you always enjoy staying at The San Luis! We look forward to having you stay again soon!