Like most resorts during high season, the San Luis can get very crowded and rowdy. If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, then book a room during late fall, winter, or early spring. DONT even think about Galveston at the San Luis or anywhere on the island during spring break or summer months.
As other reviews have mentioned, employees are very courteous and service is good. You can isolate yourself somewhat with a Club 10 Room. But when people come to Galveston to party and get drunk, hotel staff can't really control that, unless of course you've got JLO's money to rent a suite at the top of the building (see recent Houston Chronicle Sunday review of her stay in Galveston).
For the rest of us mere mortals, you can have a fantastic romantic getaway in a regular room during the seasons when students are in school. After Labor Day, the crowds thin out, and you won't likely run into a drunken party of idiots. And the weather still is great for the beach and the pool.
San Luis Resort has been in Galveston for quite a long time since it was one of the flagship properties of George Mitchell. After he sold it, the biggest rennovation was to the poolside decor, which encourages folks to endulge at the swim-up pool bar. The rooms are standard size. The bathrooms are on the small size, compared even to business chains such as Marriott's Courtyard or Hilton's Hampton Inns. The rooms could use some updating, and none of them will ever compare with the all-inclusive five-star resorts in countries outside the US, such as Costa Rica or Mexico.
Food is average, compared to all the other nearby restaurants in the city.
Bottom LIne: The San Luis is the largest hotel resort in Galveston with the largest pool and the most services under one roof, including a spa and exercise room on the basement level (and a tennis court behind the building). Spending the majority of time at the pool makes the property feel like an exotic resort. It's definitely worth a long weekend away from the big, nasty city for a relaxing and/or romantic getaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The San Luis Resort, Spa & Conference Center is one of the Gulf Coast's finest beachfront properties offering a variety of luxury options. From Spa San Luis and the heated pool to its 40,000 sq. Ft. IACC conference center and magnificent gulf views, it's an ideal destination for vacationers, business travel and corporate meetings. Our AAA Four Diamond rated resort offers the finest in award-winning dining, overnight accommodations and first-class personalized and professional service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your The San Luis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Luis Resort Galveston Texas
- San Luis Hotel Galveston
- San Louis Hotel Galveston