“Excellent!”

The San Luis Resort
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Excellent service!
3 kids loved the pool and AWESOME water slide!
Swim up bar!!!! Music!!!! Lights!!!! Fun!!!! :)

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tdvTomball
Thesanluisresort, Director of Marketing at The San Luis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Dear "Excellent",

Thank you so kindly for your tripadvisor.com post. I am so glad that our resort facility and staff met your family’s expectations. We are thrilled that the kiddos enjoyed the pool and waterslide and that the swim-up pool bar offered options for the adults.

Please let me know next time you come for a visit so we can make sure to offer you that VIP experience you deserve as a "thank you" for being a repeat guest.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed in late July for three nights. Have been several times and always had a decent stay. We booked under a promotion code, through the hotel, which gave us a $75 credit. Three times we had to remind the front desk staff about the credit, at check-in, and two separate times on date of check out. At check out the front desk clerk seemed like she could not care less about it. Sure enough, we got our credit card bill and no credit. After two weeks and several phone calls our card was credited, resolving the situation. All of this could have been avoided if the front desk staff would make an effort to do the job correctly.

Sent an e-mail to the manager prior to stay requesting a higher room if at all possible, above the tenth floor. Requested again at check-in and was given the 7th floor. Fifteen minutes into our stay we got a call stating the manager advised a room on the 11th floor was available if we wanted it (we did). Very nice of the manager to check on us. We appreciated that.

The valets/ bellmen were very helpful as was the maid service. The hotel lobby was nice as always. The rooms are okay, could use some updating. The grounds are immaculate. Kids loved the pool. The location is the best on the seawall and has great views.

Overall the stay was okay. The San Luis is nice but could be great if the front desk staff service improved and the rooms are updated (queen-size beds, not full-size!). Will probably return at least once more and see what happens.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank Matt_B_travels

Dear Kelkay66,

Thank you for your tripadvisor.com posting. I am sorry that our team let you down during your recent stay with us. The special "stay three consecutive nights and receive a $75 resort credit" promotion has been in place for sometime so enviably we need to reintroduce the program and do some training with our front desk agents. This should have been a seamless process.

I was the one who received your email request to be upgraded if available.
However, I was out of the office and immediately upon return I contacted the front desk and you had just checked in. I asked that they call you and offer a higher floor to enhance your view and create a memorable stay. I am so glad we had availability to accommodate this request.

We are thrilled that the valet/bellmen and housekeeping services were helpful and that you enjoyed the pool, location and view.

The guestrooms have all recently been remodeled and unfortunately the double beds will be a standard with us for sometime until future enhancements are made. But I have noted yours and others request for queen beds as an upgraded addition. However our sister properties The Hilton Galveston Island Resort and Holiday Inn Resort on Beach both offer queen beds, if that would assist with your future stay.

If your travel plans ever bring you back to the island I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make up for our initial short comings. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed there for a quick 3 day get away. It's supposed to be the nicest resort on the beach. The grounds are very nice. Pool is nice and the location is ideal for the beach. The rooms - although supposedly updated - need help. Air conditioning leaked, bathrooms didn't seem very clean and beds were uncomfortable. The TV wasn't working properly and I was told to just keep pressing the remote buttons until something happened. Um, that didn't work. When the TV did work many of the channels didn't work. Front staff was very friendly and helpful and so were the valets.

Room Tip: Ocean view on upper levels floor had nice view of pool and beach.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear BeachGal3,

Thank you for your recent tripadvisor.com posting. We appreciate your honesty about your getaway experience and apologize that it was less then satisfactory. Kind kudos to your comments on the pool, ideal location and the properties groomed grounds.

I have no reason or excuse for your leaky air conditioning, lack of bathroom cleanliness, uncomfortable bed and continuous television issues. I would hope that being here for three days you would have reached out and reported the issues so we could have tried to resolve the problems to improve your experience; however all your concerns were reported to the maintenance & housekeeping teams immediately upon your post.

We appreciate your thoughtful comments on the helpful and friendly valet, they are the first and the last impression one sees so we are thrilled that they met your expectations.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Bad experience! Room was not ready till 8:35 pm ! Lost the entire evening waiting on our room. Restaurant food was horrible! Our waiter could not get our order right. The food was cold. The manager was very apologetic. And said he would comp us on the bill. But we were billed for the meal at check-outout!

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank Randell54

Dear Randell54,

Thank you for posting your constructive comments on tripadvisor.com.

Why I ask did you incur the extreme delay on your hotel check-in as 4pm is when the check-in process can begin. The month of July was extremely busy and my only conclusion is that the housekeeping team was overwhelmed, no excuses, however probably reality.

And then we dig even deeper when our Café server could not get your order right and top it off with COLD food on delivery. Shame on us and shame on the manager for offering to comp your dinner bill and then failing on his follow thru.

We apologize that your experience with us here at The San Luis Resort failed in comparison and that your memories of us will be held in a negative light.

However, if your travel plans ever bring you back to Galveston Island I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make up for our short comings and offer amends. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

The "kids" running the front desk are rude and could definitely use some customer service training. We stayed in a Club 10 Suite room and unfortunately found a bag of cigarettes & ashes before it was too late, half the bag spilled onto our personal items. When we brought this to the front desk's attention, they said, "Oh, well at least it wasn't a dead animal, like a rat." For $400/night, is that a proper response?! Also, I would not recommend this hotel for families; there were some guests smoking weed in their balcony. Club 10 level is awesome for couples or adults. Do not spend the extra $$ for the suite because the suite is truly not larger, you are paying for a walkthrough hallway that includes 2 huge plants and bookshelf. There are no refrigerators they cost you an extra $15/night. :(

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank funtraveler_7

Dear Funtravel,

Your tripadvisor.com post was less than comforting. Please accept my deepest apologizes for your recent experience with us. Wow, I am speechless that one of our desk agents would respond with such a flippant and off the wall comment to one of our guests; it was truly inappropriate. And yes, some reprimand and redirection took place post-haste.

We do have 24 hour security roaming the property; however I certainly apologize for “guest” partaking in illegal smoking of marijuana on their balcony and that we did not witness it to take the appropriate steps to evict them from the property.

Club Ten is a non-family floor as no children are allowed and all the beds are king. The floor is also has key card access only so these are a few options that couples traveling tend to like. And certainly we could have waived the $15 fee for a refrigerator with the rate you paid to stay with us, that was just poor judgment on someone’s behalf. All in all we failed miserably.

If your travel plans ever bring you back to Galveston Island I truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make up for our short comings and offer amends. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

---------------

Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was the vacation from hell. Worst stay of my life. I've stayed here many times and they have gotten worse. Let me start by saying upon booking I requested and paid for the remodeled rooms. After weeks of planning we check in and the weird broken robot front desk guy gives us a room on the 5th floor motel 6 broken down old smelly roach room. I am quoted over $300 and this is the surprise I get. All he says is this is all they can give me or I can go somewhere else. How would I find a hotel last minute at another place? This is a scam they give u high prices for a newly remodeled room but when u arrive u pay that price for there disgusting old rooms because u have no choice. When asked to speak to a manager the robot keeps taking and ignoring u. I will never stay here. U pay to enjoy not to be disgusted and regretful. nobody cares about the complaints.

Room Tip: Only the location is good
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank schiling

Dear Guests from Valley Village California,

Thank you for the constructive comments that you posted on tripadvisor.com.

I was alarmed to see that our front desk agent showed such lack of compassion and ignorance in trying to resolve your guest needs. There is always a Manager on Duty that should be contacted if a complaint or guest need should arise that the associate is not capable of handling.

We may have been in a sold out situation and the 5th floor may have been the only room left available depending on your check-in time; however the accommodations should not have had an odor and the room should not be substandard for $300. There are actually 5 rooms on that floor not yet renovated with the enhanced new color scheme. They do however have to double vanity but the soft goods have not been incorporated as of yet.

I am sorry that your experience with us did not even come close to meeting your expectations and that your memories of the resort are unpleasant ones.

If your travel plans ever bring you back to Galveston Island I truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to offer amends. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

------------

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Gorgeous hotel, nice rooms, pretty beach but not for kids !! ALOT of adults drinking and getting drunk by the pool. Both nights we were awakened by people on both sides of us by drunk girls on bacherlotte parties n wedding parties. When we were by the pool in the afternoon we witnessed a couple on the balcony having relations, my sons saw a butt! Of course the staff was very nice and tried to help us but I told them this is not a family hotel.
Slept better at the La Quinta for 60.00 a night than here for 400.00 a night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lja9799

Dear “Good for couples, not for families”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent comments about The San Luis Resort on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate our guest feedback both positive and negative.

The resort caters to a wide array of travelers from romantic couple’s getaways to family vacationers and all things in between. During the summer months we tend to weigh heavy on a family destination and unfortunately those that like to cut lose and get a little crazy. It’s a hard juggle and you definitely did get the shorter end.

I apologize that you and your family had to contend not once but twice with loud noises from your neighboring guestrooms and that your young son had to be exposed to adult behavior that should be kept private.

I am glad the staff was nice and tried to assist but I do understand that the situation must have been awkward.

If your travel plans ever bring you back to Galveston Island I truly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to make amends. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

----------