“Nice hotel but there's room for improvement still” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The San Luis Resort

and 1 more site!
The San Luis Resort
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
“Nice hotel but there's room for improvement still”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was skeptical about staying at this hotel after reading reviews but went ahead and made reservation. I do have to agree that it is the best hotel on seawall. Location is perfect and hotel grounds are beautiful. Rainforest cafe and its activities that included a live band one night and a dj and magic show are right next door. Self parking is the most convenient i have ever encountered at a hotel. Parking garage right behind hotel. No street to cross or anything. One huge FLAW about the hotel is the pool. Way too much chemicals! Water was burning everyones eyes!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Iluvvacations615
Thesanluisresort, Director of Marketing at The San Luis Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear “Nice hotel but there’s room for improvement still”,

We appreciate your taking the time to post your experience with us on tripadvisor.com and want you to know that comments both positive and negative are taken to heart by the management and staff of the property,

Kudos on your kind comments about the hotels location, resort grounds and self parking with ease. It really is an ideal location and convenient to the beach and area attractions.

Your one HUGE flaw concerns me. I know we are literally freaks when it comes to abiding by the American Hotel & Lodging Associations swimming pool guidelines to make certain that we are protecting our guests from bacteria and other water related health issues. My only thought since I do not have your exact date of stay is that we changed chemicals, had shocked the pool the night prior or our maintenance team needed to get the pool back to its appropriate levels quickly for our guests safety.

I am so sorry that this experience put such a damper on your Galveston getaway and that your eyes and ever one else’s sustained burning pain. Please accept our sincere apologizes for this inconvenience.

We do hope that one day you will allow us another opportunity to not only meet but to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to personally contact me so I can assist with your arrangements.

lvogel@ldry.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We took our yearly family trip to Galveston and stayed like always. Great place for the family - great pool and beach is right across the street. Rainforest Cafe just outside the hotel grounds. San Luis has the best breakfast buffet around.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SuperDave1967
Dear SuperDave1967,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a nice and thoughtful comment about The San Luis Resort on the site tripadvisor.com.

We truly strive to create a memorable getaway that allure families to return and again and again. We are thrilled that we have such a loyal patron in you and look forward to your return visit again soon.

Please let me know next time you plan to head our way so we can make sure to offer you that VIP experience you deserve as a special "thank you" in return.

Hockley, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

After checking in we were sent to the elevator without the security code we neeeded to access our floor, fortunately the bellman was accompanying us to our room & punched in the code. We were staying in a part of the hotel that were "condos" which we were not told when we made the reservations back in March. Each & every time we returned to the hotel we had to ask for access to the "condo side." This was extremely frustrating because you had to ask somebody at the front desk to buzz the doors open & those 2 people were often with other guests, so you had wait for them to finish up & then acknowledge that you were even standing there. Had one employee walk away from my son as he asked her to buzz us through. Never received any of the "amenities" that were part of our daily resort fee charge (ie. bottled water, newspaper). Put our room service breakfast selections card on the outside of the door by 9:30pm one night expecting our breakfast by 9:45am...opened the door @ 10:00am & the tag was still hanging on the door...it was never picked up. When I called to complain to the front desk manager about this & everything else we had experienced (or hadn't experienced as the case was) he was apologetic of course, & then told me I could pick-up a card key that would allow us access to the condo side without having to ask the front desk every time we returned. This set me off because we asked if there was a card key (since our room keys didn't work) to allow us access at the beginning of our stay & were told no they had to buzz us in at the front desk. When our breakfast finally arrived around 11:00am we were told that the 2 bottled waters & hot chocolate would be complimenary for "our trouble." Excuse me, but the water was already suppose to be put in our room everyday without charging us since that was part of the "resort fee." So for $799/night + taxes & other charges we were sent to the condo side & basically forgotten about. The only birght spot at this hotel is the bellman staff & the valet staff. They knew us by name & couldn't have been more kind & helpful!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here whatever you do
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bmarcisz
Dear “Won’t return”,

I was glad to see your posted comments on tripadvisor.com and appreciate your honesty.

We have two penthouses at The San Luis Resort that rent from $800 per night on the hotel side and two – two bedroom condominium suites that rent from $699 per night. Unfortunately we do not guarantee room types within our booking system, although we try to accommodate all our guests request.

Your stay with us was definitely amiss and I certainly understand your frustrations.

We dropped the ball in not reaching to fulfill your expectations. It was certainly not our intention to send you to the condo side and forget about you, but that’s exactly what occurred.

I can not begin to make excuses or apologize enough about this unmemorable experience with us and I too would be upset if I were in your shoes.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

I have stayed here 7 times over the years. When you stay, make sure you know if your room is Tier 1,2,3. Tier 3 is lower than the seventh floor so you are over a black top roof with no view! The hotel amenities have worn out over the years! The only thing they have maintained well is the pool!

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Rallydrv
texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is a nice hotel but a bit overpriced in my opinion. The one big advantage of this hotel is it has a nice pool. However one big problem is they don't know how to maintain the chemicals properly. We have stayed here 2 years in a row and both times the water would sting everone's eyes. My kids 5 and 7 did not want to swim that long because of it. I asked other kids if it was bothering them as well and they all said yes. I even talked to the engineer in charge of maintaining the pool and he admitted that the pool was out of balance and his boss likes to err on the side of having too much chlorine than too little. I have a pool my self and it is amazing to me they can't get the chemicals balanced properly when this is a selling point of the resort.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank easygo
Kountze
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Every year I go to this Hotel for school (work). It's only 2 nights that I stay I have never had any problems or complaint it's beautiful,very,very clean,Everyone that works there that I had met was so friendly & helpful.The pool is always clean.I have stayed at many hotel in Galveston but none was this perfect.I always park in the back & walk right up to the doors,no problem with anyone messing with you from the outside.If you want to feel like a Queen or King then you picked the right hotel.I plan on getting a room next month & bring my daughter & grandaughter & niece just for the night to enjoy the beach !! If you pick this hotel you have no worries,I will say I wished it was alittle cheaper on the price but that is proably why it's so Great & stress free. Barbara Malone

Room Tip: I have never ask for a certain room because everytime I have stayed here it all been good.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank barbi_no2
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

You can not get a better view of the Gulf than in one of these rooms.
Overall I really enjoye the stay of just one night. The Pool gets very, very busy as it is a major meeting area for the younger people in the area.
The room itself, King was pretty nice but it is showing it's age. The decor was nice.
Easy check in & out. The lobby area and entrance very nice, all the staff was very courteous.
I will be staying with them again.
Easy acess to the beach.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple