“Avoid the smell”

Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
maxe1lab
“Avoid the smell”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Wte reserved a room with 1 king bed and a sleeper sofa on the phone, when we got there the room only had a king bed. They had only 1 other room which was a room with 2 king beds on the third floor. They gave us this room for the same price as the other one. When we walked in the room the musty smell almost knocked us out. We had to run the A/C on high to circulate the air and avoid the smell. The room had been repaired shabbily, patched walls painted poorly. Black grout in the bathroom that should have been white. Mosquitoes attacked you in the halls and elevators, because they did not run the A/C in the halls and they were hot and steamy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank maxe1lab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
City, State
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed two nights. Second floor, Gulf view. Our late check in was quick and easy. Parking was full by the time we got there so we parked in the back first night. No problems. Pool was good size. Room was clean. Did not smell like cigarette, pets, etc. Had microwave and small fridge. There is a Denny's in the shared parking lot. Also a Saltgrass Steak house right across the street. We were a few minutes from the Stand. We paid 89 per night. There were a few pets that we saw but not an issue. So over all not a bad deal. We are planning on going back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AngieSal
South Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Made reservations in advance, by phone with the hotels front desk staff, for a king room. Specifically asked about a room with a balcony to sit and watch the gulf. When we got there we were given a room with 2 "full size" beds. There was no balcony to sit on just the walkway. The table and chairs were on the other side of the room so we couldn't even sit inside and watch out the window, which is a shame because it did have a nice view. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I slept like a log even though my spouse and I are used to a bigger bed. The desk clerk did give us a good discount on the room since we were downgraded.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeekendTraveler2010
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I had never stayed in a La Quinta before and knew they allowed pets, but didn't really consider what that would mean. When we walked into our room, the first thing we heard was a really large dog barking in the room behind us. I thought it would be okay and started to unload our luggage from the cart. However, the barking did not stop. I called the front desk and told them about the barking. I hate to complain, but I really needed a good night's sleep. The manager immediately said she would move us as far away as she could from this room. She brought up keys to the new room right away. I didn't hear a barking dog for the rest of the stay.

The room was very clean and the beds and pillows were unbelievably comfortable. It was the best night's sleep I had in the 3 different hotels we stayed at during our trip to Texas.

The bathroom appeared clean but smelled like urine. I think the flooring might need to be replaced.

The breakfast was good - hard boiled eggs, cereal, make your own waffles, bagels, yogurt, bread, muffins, coffee and juice.

There were a lot of families here and appeared to be a safe hotel. The rooms are open to the outside.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Hotel room was newly decorated and clean. Gulf of Mexico was across the street and many restaurants were within walking distance. Beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was good but no meat or eggs...just boiled eggs. Staff was very friendly and check in was quick and easy. Will definately return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I stayed at this newly decorated La Quinta simply to get away for my birthday weekend. Gulf of Mexico was across the street and many restaurants were within walking distance. Beds were very comfortable. Did not eat the breakfast there because there is a Denny's in the same parking lot as the hotel. Staff was very friendly and check in and check out with quick and easy. Will definately return there soon for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We were in Galveston for my daughter's beach wedding. Since the beach house was holding the bridal party, my son & daughter-in-law and I stayed at La Quinta Inn. We booked at least 4 weeks in advance. The beds were the best I have ever slept in, the room was wonderfully cool, we had a microwave, fridge, blow dryer, table & chairs and our tv had great reception. The shower worked terrific, we had extra towels and the maid service was outstanding. On Friday we had awful weather, and Saturday the manager (who knew we were in for the wedding) came to talk to me about Saturday's weather predictions (way above the call of duty!). Even though we booked a back room, all I had to do was look around the corner to see the Gulf. Easy access to anything and everything. I will definately go back and would 100% recommend this as a top choice for a motel!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family