“Fine Choice”

Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Plano, TX
“Fine Choice”
Reviewed March 27, 2005

One previous review gave me pause, but this is a fine choice. Our room was very clean, not at all tired and I thought well appointed for its class, with a microwave and fridge. Ours had a view of the gulf, though across the parking lot of a Denny's. The pool is medium-sized and well maintained. A decent beach is right across the road, much superior to the La Quinta's further west that has only rocks. Downtown G'ton is within easy reach by car.

A plus for us: they accept dogs at no charge.

A minus: the room did have minor maintenance concerns I reported on checkout: Non-working deadbolt, electric sockets/hair dryer by the sink not working, and a relatively noisy A/C unit.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank ckdalz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed March 20, 2005

My spouse and I were in town to attend a wedding at the Galvez, down the street. This was the cheap option for the "less affluent" guests. I think I may have gotten the better deal, to tell you the truth. It's a La Quinta -- I'm not going to try to sell this place as any more than it is -- but it has a Denny's right on the property and it's across the street -- literally -- from the ocean. We were treated well.

5 Thank KazariKid
Reviewed May 10, 2004

I stayed at La Quinta with my daughter and son. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly. Our room and the rest of the hotel was very clean. My son especially enjoed the Belgium waffles for breakfast.

The only thing missing is it would have been nice if they had a shuttle to the cruise line dock.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 17, 2003

Yes, its accross the street from the beach, but do not expect any star (not even one!). The hotel was old and rundown. The sheets were stained with who knows what. The floors were dirty. There was rust/mold/mildew on the wall behind the bedside table. The smell was like an old house that hadn't been aired out in years. After driving for over four hours, my husband and I were disappointed to find that we were both terrified to even walk around the room barefoot. The only good thing about this hotel was the television. If you want to live like a beachbum, stay here.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2003

I made a reservation at this hotel and paied $137.99 for the room. I came back later on that day to cancel my reservation, and the woman behind the desk had a person go check the room to make sure it was in order. She told me it was clean and that my reservation had been cancelled and that I WOULD NOT BE BILLED FOR IT. I was adamant in making sure that my reservation had been cancelled and that I would not be billed. Se assured me that I would not. So I left thinking everything was fine, and I made a reservation at the Comfort Inn & Suites, where by the way I could have gotten a suite for the same price of the La Quinta's rooms, where I paied $150 for a suite with a king-sized bed, a couch, a safe, a refrigerator, a microwave, a jacuzzi, and stand-in shower--thinking all that time that I would not be billed from the La Quinta. Well, guess what, I get home the next day and find out that I had been billed the $137.99 by the La Quinta Inn. I called the hotel to see what was going on, and the woman I talked to was very rude. She said that it was their policy not to cancel reservations after six, however, the woman behind the desk told me of no such policy. She said that there was nothing she could do for me, and I--as calmly as I could--said thank you, and she abruptly hung up without saying a word--no thank you, no anything. I will never stay in another La Quinta as long as I live, and furthermore, I will do everything in my power to expose the poor management that the La Quinta in Galveston has. Whoever sees this e-mail me and tell me what you think.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2003

Our room was really clean and the staff was very helpful. They mentioned to us a room with an ocean view, which we took. We had a wonderful time. We got what we expected. However rather than the 35-50 dollars price range, we paid around 80$ for our room. (Check price before making reservation).

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member