“Ask for a written confirmation for dates!”

La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked two rooms five weeks before our cruise was to leave Galveston. I went over the dates several times, I asked about the shuttle to the boat on Sunday and was told one could be provided, no problem. I called two days prior to arrival, tried to check the dates and confirmation information, told them we would be arriving late on Sat. No problem the man told me, if you have a confirmation number you have a room, doesn't matter when you get here. He never checked the information and when we arrived on Sat night, they told us we were arriving on Sunday according to our confirmation numbers... After becoming very upset, they did find us a family room, no ocean view as promised, one room had a window and the view was the wall of the building behind! I will never stay in a LaQuinta again...not a good experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 22, 2008

My family booked two rooms at La Quinta Inn in Galveston because it overlooked the gulf. We weren't expecting anything fancy, but we have some standards. First off, when we checked in, we opened our room only to find that it already contained luggage. Assuming this was not complimentary with the room, we contacted the front desk. By contacted, I mean my mother had to walk down there and talk to someone. By the time she returned, the inhibitants had come back to the room, looking bewildered. I was surprised to discover that this wasn't the first time it had happened to them! Apparently room mix-ups were common at La Quinta.

So, we moved on to a different room. However this room did not face the ocean, but instead had a lovely view of the dumpster and the construction going on next door. Not only that, but it was a good jaunt from the other room my family was staying in. We come to find there is an extreme lack of towels. So, I call the front desk expecting them to have some towels delivered to our room. No--I had to go get them myself.

Luckily we didn't have much trouble after that, but in general the place wasn't worth staying in. There was garbage left in the stairwells, the elevators were extremely slow, the balconies smelled of garbage, and the service was terrible. I would suggest renting a condo instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank IowagirlinHouston
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We appreciated the remodel and updates. The pictures on tripadvisor are not accurate. New linens, pillows and fresh paint We visited Independance Day weekend and liked the location, pool, breakfast. Not enough parking. At least 10% of parking was taken up by hotel's own temporary storage buildings. Would probably stay here again, if the price is right.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2008

My husband and I had booked here through our travel agent. We are from Canada and were on a motorcycle tour through Texas, so had experienced many hotels on our trip. Although the hotel does look a little run down, the room was clean, although beds are small. We at first were a little set back as we arrived at 5:00pm on a Friday of spring break and were told that we would have to wait a half hour as our room wasn't ready. The place does look like it has years of salt water damage. The pool is not heated and although it said it was closed at 10:00pm, the gate is not locked and people were allowed to sit around it and chat all night. So in the morning there was garbage all around, yet it was cleaned up eairly. We found it a great location for walking down the sea wall to find a place to eat or a lounge. The breakfast was great as waffles were available to make yourself. We found it a pretty good place to stay. Just be prepared that it is more like a motel. The view of sunrise in the morning is spectaculare.

Reviewed February 20, 2008

Checked in for a two night weekend stay. They are in the process of renovating the whole hotel. It appeared the lobby had already been done. We were assigned a non smoking room, and were pleasantly surprised to see it was renovated, with new carpet, flooring and fabrics. We were missing the new refrigerators/microwaves that were to be in the new rooms, but they sent them up immediately. Everyone we spoke to at the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. Free Wireless internet worked great. Had a nice view of the ocean.

The exterior looks pretty rough, I suspect they have let some maintenace issues go since the manager told me they are supposed to have the exterior redone in a couple of months.

Breakfast was standard laQuinta fare, waffels always great with fruit and yogurt.

Overall, we had no problems and can totally recomend this for someone who wants to be on the Seawall but doesn't want to pay higher prices. We booked a special rate for State Employees and received a $73/night rate. This is not a 4 star hotel, just clean hotel rooms, wireless internet, and free breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Would recommend this particular La Quinta only if you are traveling with a pet which you will need to leave in the room at times while eating out or sightseeing (which you cannot do at the other hotels on the island that allow pets). When you walk into the lobby, it and the breakfast area are beautiful and very clean, great first impression. They supposedly are in the process of remodeling, which needs to be done badly. On the positive side; we found the staff to all be very nice, and the beds were comfortable. Our room was large enough for a double and air conditioner worked fine for September. But as for the room itself, the carpet was worn to the concrete in places, the first night I discovered there was no stopper in the bathtub (but called the lobby and one was brought in and worked fine). The first day the room was cleaned, a 6-year-old could have made the beds better, the carpet was never vacuumed, tile floors were
never swept and mopped and bathtub was not cleaned until the 2nd or 3rd day. The room itself had a very musty smell at all times. It took
2 days for them to bring enough towels and wash cloths for 2 people without asking for extra. As far as the free wireless internet; we were on the 3rd floor and that never worked. This was my first time to travel with a laptop and when I called the lobby to ask if there was something I needed to do to connect; I was told very rudely that another lady on the same floor was having the same problem and was hung up on. When we pulled out the table between the beds to plug in the lights, it didn't appear that they had dusted there in quite sometime. Also, in the bathroom in the corner between the floor and bathtub was a small pile of sand. We did have a room with a gulf view, which we received, and it was very nice. Once again, if you are
traveling with a pet, and want to visit places where pets are not allowed, this is the place to stay. We were traveling with a very small terrier, which we would leave in his crate, plus place the do not disturb sign out and no one entered the room.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ftwnana
Reviewed September 11, 2007

DON'T STAY HERE! You'll regret it. We ignored the reviews and did it anyway; what a terrible waste of our money!

I've always trusted that we could get a decent room at any La Quinta, but no more. We booked here because they allow small dogs. The beds were horrible--old and saggy. The bathtub didn't drain and when we requested that they fix it, they brought a plunger and a bottle of drain cleaner and left them with us. There were roaches in the bathroom and the air conditioner. The pool was dirty. We washed clothes in the laundry room, and the dryer kept tripping the breaker and shutting off.

If all that weren't bad enough, we were paying $120 a night (that was supposedly WITH the corporate discount), which was ridiculous; for that price, I certainly expected a clean and comfortable room.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family