“Traveling with pets”

La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We chose a suite at this hotel for us and our two Weims. Overall the hotel was decent. The suite we reserved had been remodeled and was plenty large for our us and our four legged "kiddos". The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. This LaQuinta still offers smoking rooms which were obvious as we walked down the breezeway to the stairs. The dog area was a 2x10' strip of grass without pet waste bags; but we did bring our own. We would stay here again if traveling with pets but would stay elsewhere if not.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I checked in 9-28-13 the staff was quick to let me know that 4.00pm was check in time and not 3pm as noted on my hotwire account, but they did get me in a room by 3:15 and were friendly enough. We checked into room 307 and I always check mattresses for bed bugs, 1st I noticed that neither bed had a mattress pad, just a sheet over the mattress which is a health violation, then along the seam in the mattress on the end of the headboard on both beds were alive and dead bed bugs, I took 5 of them down on a peice of paper to the lobby and ask for another room, the on duty manger when ask if the hotel had bed bugs told me they did not, when I ask if they had in the past she said they had but not at present...so I was given keys to room 310 just down the hall, again I inspected room and found the same thing, no mattress pads and bugs in bed, same location. I went down and ask for a refund. Hotwire moved me to another hotel which was in tx city 15 mins away but was clean nice and very pleasant. I called health inspector following week, and he returned a call to me later saying the rooms were both clean with pad on bed on no bugs, he said he was sure they knew he was coming, and had cleaned both rooms well...Just remember to check for bugs in this hotel and if you dont know how or what to look for there area many sites on here to check out, also after I checked several sites about this hotel, it has bed bugs reported very often so be aware before you stay here, you might be bringing home more than you paid for...

Room Tip: avoid the 300 rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank scdm100
Reviewed October 2, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank freddierocky
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed just for two nights to get away. Service was good. Breakfast had many selections. Stayed in a suite and it was fairly priced and was very clean and had a great view. Bathroom was a bit small. No balcony but still very nice. Pool and pool area was clean and there was a nice deck with chairs. Several places to eat were nearby. When we requested towels the front desk responded in a timely manner. All in all it was a failry nice hotel for just a small getaway.

Room Tip: our suite was directly above the hotel lobby. 3rd floor. Very quiet with a great view, no balacony...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was our 1st trip to the beach/Galveston. I took my 10 yr old son and his friend for 3 days/nights with our Catahoula (dog). So well worth the $105 per night in August (peak season). The lady in the office put us on a 1st floor, corner room so that the sidewalk to our room led right up to the beach across the street. It was very clean, no bugs, A/C was very cold, and the fridge had a lot of space and a place for ice. If you need to leave your pet in the room for a while, you can put him in a crate. Per the front desk, if your pet barks, etc, it's ok. But if someone calls and complains, they will simply give you a phone call so that you can come get him. I requested that our room not be serviced during our stay in case our dog was in his crate in the room. I did not want a stranger to frighten him. They had no problem with that. They offered a free breakfast each morning with all-u-can-eat eggs, waffles, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, muffins, coffee, milk, juice. They made our first visit such a wonderful experience that we didn't want to leave. We plan to go again very soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The good: The location on the far Eastern part of the island is a great place to stay the night before a cruise. Several good restaurants are very close, even walking distance. Right across from the ocean, so good places to take a walk.

The bad: This is an old hotel that is in bad need of an update and makeover. The carpets, the beds, the bathrooms... all need replaced. The rates are much too high for what you get. If you are planning on staying more than one night, I would suggest something else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Is this a makeover from another chain? Not like most LQ. Small room, 2 full beds, 3 pillows; desk with camp chair style desk chair + padded upright. Nice TV..32 channels, microwave and frig. Bath amenities = soap. shampoo and hair dryer. No grab bar to step into tub. tub & commode in separate compartment from vanity & sink. Black hairs in soap dish. Noise level from outside very bad. Rowdy guests outside until 2 am. Beds v. soft. Bkfst OK--Hard boiled eggs, waffles, toast, cereals, fruit, and assorted breads/rolls but in v cramped, dingey space for so many guests. Some tables out in the hall.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo