“Great if you are traveling with a pet”

La Quinta Inn Galveston East Beach
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, TX
“Great if you are traveling with a pet”
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Would recommend this particular La Quinta only if you are traveling with a pet which you will need to leave in the room at times while eating out or sightseeing (which you cannot do at the other hotels on the island that allow pets). When you walk into the lobby, it and the breakfast area are beautiful and very clean, great first impression. They supposedly are in the process of remodeling, which needs to be done badly. On the positive side; we found the staff to all be very nice, and the beds were comfortable. Our room was large enough for a double and air conditioner worked fine for September. But as for the room itself, the carpet was worn to the concrete in places, the first night I discovered there was no stopper in the bathtub (but called the lobby and one was brought in and worked fine). The first day the room was cleaned, a 6-year-old could have made the beds better, the carpet was never vacuumed, tile floors were
never swept and mopped and bathtub was not cleaned until the 2nd or 3rd day. The room itself had a very musty smell at all times. It took
2 days for them to bring enough towels and wash cloths for 2 people without asking for extra. As far as the free wireless internet; we were on the 3rd floor and that never worked. This was my first time to travel with a laptop and when I called the lobby to ask if there was something I needed to do to connect; I was told very rudely that another lady on the same floor was having the same problem and was hung up on. When we pulled out the table between the beds to plug in the lights, it didn't appear that they had dusted there in quite sometime. Also, in the bathroom in the corner between the floor and bathtub was a small pile of sand. We did have a room with a gulf view, which we received, and it was very nice. Once again, if you are
traveling with a pet, and want to visit places where pets are not allowed, this is the place to stay. We were traveling with a very small terrier, which we would leave in his crate, plus place the do not disturb sign out and no one entered the room.

• Liked — The ability to leave pet in room while dining out or sightseeing and knowing he was safe.
  • Disliked — Condition of the room and overall rundown condition of hotel.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ftwnana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2007

DON'T STAY HERE! You'll regret it. We ignored the reviews and did it anyway; what a terrible waste of our money!

I've always trusted that we could get a decent room at any La Quinta, but no more. We booked here because they allow small dogs. The beds were horrible--old and saggy. The bathtub didn't drain and when we requested that they fix it, they brought a plunger and a bottle of drain cleaner and left them with us. There were roaches in the bathroom and the air conditioner. The pool was dirty. We washed clothes in the laundry room, and the dryer kept tripping the breaker and shutting off.

If all that weren't bad enough, we were paying $120 a night (that was supposedly WITH the corporate discount), which was ridiculous; for that price, I certainly expected a clean and comfortable room.

• Liked — The view of the Gulf
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Micki3313
Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We just returned from a weekend trip to Galveston, TX for a end of the summer excursion. We have stayed at many La Quinta's before and were satisfied, but not this time. The carpet in the room was dirty. We found a beer bottle cap on the table, hair in the bathtub, dirt on the bathroom floor, moldy grout and a dirty towel hanging on the bathroom door. The guest dryer was broken, but the staff was kind enough to dry our towels in the facilty dryer. When we asked for extra pillows and blankets, we had to go to the desk to get them and then had to settle for a comforter because they didn't have extra blankets. The elevator smelled and the carpet was coming up. The property in general needed a full scale remodel. However, the staff was courteous and when we complained we were offered a free night stay to use at any location as compensation. Needless to say, we will not stay at the Galveston location again.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank fin2
tyler
Reviewed August 2, 2007

It was terrilbe.... when you went in the room, it had a bad odor. The hotel is old and showed signs of rust in the bathtub, air conditioner leaking out on the outside. The drain was so slow in the bathtub, that by the end of your shower you were standing in water. No queen size beds and hair in the sink not cleaned out when the maids came in. THe sheets DID seem clean although there was an unidentifiable stain on the bedspread/blanket. I always thought that Laquinta Inns were pretty nice.... I guess I was wrong and will not go back to a Laquinta.

• Liked — across street from beach
  • Disliked — dirty rooms and small beds
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank teacher54
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 5, 2007

I booked my trip online based on the star rating this hotel had. We got there and the desk clerk was pretty rude, throwing the keys at us. Though the hotel description emphasized the "oceanside view", the only thing we had a view of was of the Coke machine. The pool had floating garbage and didn't look very appealing. The carpet in the room was peeling, there were hairs in the bathtub and the bedsheets were stained. The minifridge made an annoying noise when the compressor. We asked to be moved to another room, but the clerk told us it was "sold out". Since we were only going to be there for three days we decided to suck it up.

At night, our neighbors (a bunch of drunken college kids) were making a racket by the pool. We called the front desk and they told us they'd deal with it. They didn't.

Next morning, room service came in at around 8:30. We told the lady to come back later, because we were not ready to leave the room. She must have interpreted our request to mean that we didn't want her to come at all, because she didn't show up for the remainder of our trip, despite my calls to the front desk and their promise to send someone.

Emails sent to La Quinta met with form replies. I'm never staying at any La Quinta again.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank Jurassic_7
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed December 9, 2006

I have never been in a hotel this terrible. It was a good thing we only booked it for one day. Where do I begin....first the pool was locked up within an old rusty decayed iron gate that was eaten away and eroded. We wouldn't have wanted to go in the pool anyway because there was garbage floating in the pool and cats were drinking from it. To get to our room we had to cross in front of a door that posted a warning "High Voltage", and underneath that door water was seeping out that ran across the sidewalk, underneath the gate to the pool, into the gutter that surrounded the pool. Yuk! We passed rooms where there were no door knobs, just holes, and when we reached our room we just cringed in expectation. When you open the door the first thing you see is the toilet about 10 feet from the door. At first glance the room looked alright, we were expecting the worst. The only thing was it felt dirty - there were dirty black fingerprints on the white doors, and ants on the sheets, the phone was dirty, etc. IMy brother had reserved the rooms and had to keep it as economical as possible, so I thought well may be we got a really cheap rate - but I found out later that each room was over $70 per night. I don't consider that a bargain rate for what we got. Other members of our group had worse problems. One room had such a bad smell - which the front desk said it was because of the ocean - but why didn't all the rooms have that smell. Also, the toilet didn't work in one room and ants were found in the bed there too. It was so dirty. One of us complained the next morning and all they said is that there was nothing they could do and we should contact Travelocity with our complaints - which is stupid because for one thing we didn't use Travelocity to reserve these rooms and also what would Travelocity have anything to do with this. I have never written a review but felt I had to for this - it was that bad.

• Liked — Front desk clerk was nice
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Tips/Secrets — There are other great hotels down this same street that are better
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Sherryinminnesota
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I booked our trip to Galveston on-line and chose LaQuinta because we have always been pleased with them on other trips. This LQ is NOT like the others! We were told we had a view of the ocean--nope, we had a few of the delapidated houses that were behind the motel. By the time I had almost topped the third level of stairs (elevator on the complete other side) with armfull of luggage, my husband had already opened the door and I smelled the stale stench of smoke--already--in our NON-SMOKING room. The bathtub had what I thought were black stains on the floor--which came up when I took a shower. As it turns out, that's what the sand from the beach looks like when it is left in the tub. There were two predominate white stains on the carpet that my husband assured me were paint, and there were little trails of ants that would come and go in the bathroom. We spend three nights and housekeeping never mopped the floors of the BR. OH--and don't count on the continental breakfast unless you consider that poptarts and cheap juice. No fresh fruit, no yogurt, and nothing resembling danishes or the sort. They did have muffins for two mornings. YES--the location is good--but so are the multitudes of other hotels that are on the seawall. Spend just a little extra and get a LOT more. There is a LaQuinta "Inn and Suites" that is on the other end of the seawall that I would be curious to know if it were more of what we've been accustomed to.

Stayed June 2006