“Great hotel!”

Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
tle05
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I decided to say in Galveston one night and just pick this hotel because it was right on the beach. The rate was really good. Our room was on the 6th floor and you could tell it had recently been redone. We had a balcony that looked right out to the ocean. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 7, 2017
Always great to hear that our guests will be returning. We appreciate your business as there are no spare guests. Thank you once again and we look forward to you returning in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We decided to stay another night in Galveston and found this hotel. We got the last room in the place and I see why they don't give it until last. I almost gagged at the disgusting smell when we entered the room. We brought a can of air freshener with us. We turned the air conditioner as low as it would go, which eventually helped the smell somewhat, but it never got very cool, set at 60. The pool is pretty nice and fairly large for a hotel. By the time we went driving, to dinner and spent most of the day at the pool, we didn't spend much time in the room, so it ended being an OK day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank funinthesummer
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2017
I apologize that you did not have a great stay at our hotel. We strive hard to offer a great product with exceptional service. Thank you for letting us know where we need to correct issue and make this hotel better for all of our guests.
Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2009

everything about our 5 night stay including the one meal we ate in the hotel restaurant was very good to excellent. There were some minor renovations going on in some conference rooms, but this was shielded very well from the guests.

All the rooms have small balconies that overlook the beach and our rooms were very up to date and nice, the housekeeping each day was flawless and transparent to us.

Nicely done!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Always great to hear words like flawless and transparent. We strive hard to offer a consistent product with exceptional service. Thank you once again and we look forward to you returning.
Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Room smelled like old storage, could not get room serv. due to "Not Enough Help", several broken light fixtures and burnt out lights in rear,felt unsafe due to lack of key controlled access to building, lounge smokey, very unsafe to cross road to go to beach. Have stayed at Sunspree location in Galveston and have never encountered such issues. Really felt uncomfortable that neighbor could get onto my balcony from theirs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meerkat777
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2017
Thank you for letting us know how we can improve our product and service. I do realize it has been a while since you visited and wanted to reassure you that we have made significant changes to enhance the property. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to you returning.
Minnesota
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was traveling with my 2 girls 12 and 7 and my sister and her daughter 7 also, we checked in early the staff were very accomdating at that point. When we went to use the restroom the lock on one of the stalls was broken and stayed that way for 4 days even after we brought it to the attention of the staff the first day, then we noticed the back door were everyone from staff to customers can just walk in , no electronic key lock nothing, this door leads right into the hotel were anyone can just walk in!When brought to the attention of staff no one seemed to be concerned that as a woman traveling with children I shouldn't be concerned even after there had been alot more homeless people do to the hurricane. Iwas not impressed with their security building or the response at all I would stay at the other Holiday Inn down the road!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
I am so sorry that this was not attended to immediately. Safety and security of our guests is our highest mission and this was not accomplished. We have gone through significant changes in the hotel and in management and we wanted to assure you that this will not occur again. Thank you for your business, comments, and time in this matter.
Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We arrived on February 13th for Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston from Toronto, Canada. When we arrived at 8:00 pm (arranged late check in) the Holiday Inn at 5002 Seawall Blvd sheepishly told myself, my son and my mother that even though we had confirmed our room the night before that they had record of us and our reservation but did not have a room for us.
I had read previous January reviews for this hotel and others had said the same thing and that they were told they were being upgraded to the San Luis Resort next door but were given a room over looking the parking lot. The manager started to say exactly that to me that they would upgrade me to the San Luis Resort next door.
I told the Manager about these reviews on line and said if you plan on upgrading me somewhere else I want an Ocean Veiw just as I had booked with the Holiday Inn. After alot of them whispering (they knew I was angry) they upgrade us to the Hilton two doors down at the same rate with an ocean view (no balcony). When we arrived at the Hilton it was a very nice stay and we did get what we demanded. Other wise I think we may have been viewing the parking lot. Make sure if this happens to you that you let them know their strategy.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank sandisavon
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2017
Wow, I am taken back on what was done in this situation, and for that I sincerely apologize. I do want to let you know that we have gone through some management changes for the better and encourage you on returning to see these first hand. Thank you for your time and we look forward on turning this around.
Conroe, TX
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Around10pm we started hearing very loud music, I contacted the front desk, they stated music was coming from "their bar" and that know one else had complained. She also stated they would be playing until 1:30am, and she'd let them know that we had complained...music continued and even got louder! We were in touch with other guests who were also very upset about noise and made several calls to the front desk. I would not stay their again.....ever!

• Liked — room service; breakfast
  • Disliked — loud band played until 1:30am in bar, several people smoking on balconies and elevators, no washcloths!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We wanted to reassure our past guests we are listening and we have made changes to better our property. I do realize it has been some time since your visit, however we were hoping you would have a change of heart and see the changes first hand. Thank you again and we look forward to you returning.