“Very disappointing stay at hotel”

Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Texas
“Very disappointing stay at hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

Room smelled like old storage, could not get room serv. due to "Not Enough Help", several broken light fixtures and burnt out lights in rear,felt unsafe due to lack of key controlled access to building, lounge smokey, very unsafe to cross road to go to beach. Have stayed at Sunspree location in Galveston and have never encountered such issues. Really felt uncomfortable that neighbor could get onto my balcony from theirs.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meerkat777
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2017
Thank you for letting us know how we can improve our product and service. I do realize it has been a while since you visited and wanted to reassure you that we have made significant changes to enhance the property. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to you returning.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was traveling with my 2 girls 12 and 7 and my sister and her daughter 7 also, we checked in early the staff were very accomdating at that point. When we went to use the restroom the lock on one of the stalls was broken and stayed that way for 4 days even after we brought it to the attention of the staff the first day, then we noticed the back door were everyone from staff to customers can just walk in , no electronic key lock nothing, this door leads right into the hotel were anyone can just walk in!When brought to the attention of staff no one seemed to be concerned that as a woman traveling with children I shouldn't be concerned even after there had been alot more homeless people do to the hurricane. Iwas not impressed with their security building or the response at all I would stay at the other Holiday Inn down the road!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2017
I am so sorry that this was not attended to immediately. Safety and security of our guests is our highest mission and this was not accomplished. We have gone through significant changes in the hotel and in management and we wanted to assure you that this will not occur again. Thank you for your business, comments, and time in this matter.
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

We arrived on February 13th for Mardi Gras weekend in Galveston from Toronto, Canada. When we arrived at 8:00 pm (arranged late check in) the Holiday Inn at 5002 Seawall Blvd sheepishly told myself, my son and my mother that even though we had confirmed our room the night before that they had record of us and our reservation but did not have a room for us.
I had read previous January reviews for this hotel and others had said the same thing and that they were told they were being upgraded to the San Luis Resort next door but were given a room over looking the parking lot. The manager started to say exactly that to me that they would upgrade me to the San Luis Resort next door.
I told the Manager about these reviews on line and said if you plan on upgrading me somewhere else I want an Ocean Veiw just as I had booked with the Holiday Inn. After alot of them whispering (they knew I was angry) they upgrade us to the Hilton two doors down at the same rate with an ocean view (no balcony). When we arrived at the Hilton it was a very nice stay and we did get what we demanded. Other wise I think we may have been viewing the parking lot. Make sure if this happens to you that you let them know their strategy.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank sandisavon
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2017
Wow, I am taken back on what was done in this situation, and for that I sincerely apologize. I do want to let you know that we have gone through some management changes for the better and encourage you on returning to see these first hand. Thank you for your time and we look forward on turning this around.
Conroe, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

Around10pm we started hearing very loud music, I contacted the front desk, they stated music was coming from "their bar" and that know one else had complained. She also stated they would be playing until 1:30am, and she'd let them know that we had complained...music continued and even got louder! We were in touch with other guests who were also very upset about noise and made several calls to the front desk. I would not stay their again.....ever!

• Liked — room service; breakfast
  • Disliked — loud band played until 1:30am in bar, several people smoking on balconies and elevators, no washcloths!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We wanted to reassure our past guests we are listening and we have made changes to better our property. I do realize it has been some time since your visit, however we were hoping you would have a change of heart and see the changes first hand. Thank you again and we look forward to you returning.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

While most of the rooms look like they have pretty good views, try and request floor 3 or higher when you reserve. We booked only about a week in advance, and were initially given a first floor room, which had no balcony and had windows right on the noisy pool. Front desk tried to tell us we had a balcony, since we had a door out to the pool area, but there was no table or chairs, and absolutely no privacy. We were given another room, which they said was the only other one in the hotel that night, and it was on the second floor right behind the front office building. It had a balcony, but looked over the air conditioners for the building, and was very noisy. No ocean view at all.

The room itself was fairly nice. It was very clean, and had an empty fridge (not a minibar) which was a nice touch. Beds were comfortable. We put a breakfast order on the door-hanger thing they give you, and while it was gone in the morning, no breakfast ever came. A call to the room service area and they said they never got the order. They took my order, and about 20 minutes later we got it...and inconvenience, but the food was good and reasonably priced (for room service).

As far as the beach goes, the hotel's location is pretty good right on Seawall Blvd. You do have to cross the street to get to the beach, and there are no crosswalks anywhere near the hotel, so be prepared to dart through traffic to get to the beach. This isn't too bad, but might not be so fun if you have small kids.

Overall, I think this would be a decent hotel if you were on one of the higher levels, but be aware there are some really bad rooms in this hotel.

• Liked — Decent rooms, pricing decent but not great
  • Disliked — Wound up in a bad room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
We wanted to let our past guests know that we have completed a renovation of all the rooms so this situation as the one you spoke of does not occur again. I do realize it has been some time since you have stayed however we wanted to reassure you that we have completed changes and encourage all our guests on returning. Thank you again for you time and comments.
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2008

We are a family of five who have been going to Galveston for the last few years. We originally were booked at the Hilton for the week of 7/21, but due to the threat of hurricane had to postpone our trip a week. When booking at the last minute we couldn't find a good rate anywhere but the Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. After reading reviews here and other sites, I was concerned. I was sooooooooo pleasantly surprised! We had requested two connecting room (one king and one double), but I wasn't holding out hope we would actually get them connecting. Not only did they have them, but they were on the end (quiet) of the third floor (nice view). The rooms were not on one of the remodeled floors (I think just 7 and 8 are remodeled), but the furnishings were not worn. The comforters were clean and not worn. I really am a nut about cleanliness, and I honestly couldn't find one thing wrong. The pool area was great. There is a shaded arbor nearest to the road. Pool towels were actually brand new (not even laundered yet - could tell by the tags). They seemed to be on a customer service "kick". The same manager was there all four days - walking through the pool area (making sure things were picked up), handling issues - seemed very professional. I will say that by the time we left on Friday, things were getting a little crazier (parking full, people everywhere, elevator speed issues), but it has been our experience that is the case at any of the hotels on the Seawall during weekends in the summer. The location was great - all rooms face the water and have balconies. Overall, it was a great experience!!!!

• Liked — Location, view, cleanliness
  • Disliked — housekeeping a little slow
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wrtlcarver
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 11, 2017
Overall great experience is awesome to hear. We strive hard to offer a great product with exceptional service and it looks like we hit that mark. Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.
queen city tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

clean. towels thick. beds comfortable. ocen view.safe. wonderful pool and bar area.no bugs. very helpful and nice staff. only bad points were housekeeping only spoke spanish and pool closed at 10pm even when full of guest. will stay here every trip to galveston

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — busy hwy to cross to beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
qbussey, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, March 7, 2017
I am glad to hear that you had a great stay even though the minor issues with pool being closed at 10pm and HSKP speaking Spanish. We have changed a few things regarding your comments and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised when you return. Thank you for your comments as we look forward to you returning.