“Beautiful, comfy, relaxing room”

Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Cypress, Texas
“Beautiful, comfy, relaxing room”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights (Oct, 2-Oct. 4) at this property. We have stayed here many times before, but have not been there since before Hurricane Ike. I had read some reviews both pro and con about the renovations, etc. but decided to go ahead and stay there again. I made the reservations on line and got the slightly cheaper rate for paying ahead of time. When we arrived we were immediately welcomed by the front desk clerk. I do not know his name but he was very friendly and helpful. He said we were upgraded to the 7th floor with a beautiful gulf view. When we got to the room we saw that the young man was correct- the view was stunning. The room had been beautifully renovated. The colors were rust and brown. There were even three artificial potted plants. I've stayed in a lot of moderately priced hotels and I don't remember many having plants. I was impressed. They are a little pricier than most of the hotel rooms Galveston has to offer, but as the saying goes - you get what you paid for. I haven't even mentioned the bed. We had a king executive suite and the bed and pillows were so comfy. They had both soft and firm pillows and you could call for more or different ones if you didn't like those. We did not have to make such a call. If I had to complain about one thing it would be the squeaky door going onto the balcony. I should have called the front desk but it was rather loud and annoying. I would definitely stay there again and would tell friends and family about this hotel and their comfy beds.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie G
Michelle F, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with our entire team. We look forward to your return in the near future, and please feel free to contact me directly to assist in making your reservations. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this property on my way to a cruise to Cozumel. I'm a morning person and love my coffee as I rise....the only sweetner provided was in a pink package. The "coffee", was actually coffee flavored water....this is a major no, no with me. While our room faced the gulf, our view included all of the mechanics of the hotel it appeared....for $148+ a night; please at least provide a "good" cup of coffee with "real" sugar (which is my choice)....I'm sure I would not visit this property again.

Room Tip: No "real" coffee on property
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank granny55_12
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear granny55_12,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room with a view.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the coffee that was provided. We will address these. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
texas
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We wanted to take a quick trip for my "fix" to the ocean. They upgraded us to the top (eighth) floor and the view was great. Hotel was very clean, everyone was very nice except for the night clerk, (dark hair glasses) she was very rude, no eye contact ect..My Husband's brother arrived late and I was embarrased by the way she treated him because we had told him it was very nice there. If you are below the fourth floor there is no view at all. He was on the 2nd floor and moved, there were a pile of filthy chairs stacked right outside his patio.The night clerk treated him like he was bothering her magazine reading, funny how one person can ruin a review. Other than this "evil" girl we had no complaints. We will go back there for sure.Clean, clean, clean!!!!!, Eat at the "SPOT" it has a great view and a fun atmosphere. The beer is ice cold there and the service is great. Landry's has gone downhill, it used to have great food but it was terrible,the Strand is still 50% closed so don't waste your time there, Moody Gardens is awesome, loved it....If it wasn't for the clerk that needs to be fired I would give this place the highest rating....she was there the 25th. 26th and 27th in the evening...

Room Tip: Always book a room above the 4th floor, our room was 816 and it was in the middle on the top, very n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pup4
Thank you for your response of Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to guide us as we move forward. Please know that we take your report seriously and will be speaking with the night clerk you mentioned to ensure that she is consitently providding top of the line service. We look forward to having you return in the near future! Thank you!
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was really impressed with our room! We had a wonderful view of the ocean, and the decor was very cute. I really liked the location and would definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't like was the hotel's restaurant; the breakfast was over priced and subpar.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Murtle087
Michelle F, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review of Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your feedback, and will definitely use it as we continue to make improvements throughout the property. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Thank you again!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stay at this hotel every year on our annual visit to Galveston. It is an older hotel but has had a furniture update and other cosmetic detailing. It is clean and offers enough space for our family of 3.

Room Tip: Travel during the week for best rates and off-peak season if possible. The breakfast at the restaua...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MG2000
Michelle F, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your continued patronage, and look forward to seeing you on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to return. Thank you again, and we will see you very soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We are used to staying in higher-end hotels so this was a change for us but still an enjoyable experience. We used my husband's Holiday Inn "points" from work trips for a getaway with our 21 month old to experience the beach. We arrived at 10am on Thursday AM and the lady at the desk was very friendly and also upgraded us to the 8th floor AND allowed us to check in right when we arrived!! Worked out wonderully for us since my husband was showing up after us (my mom and daughter and me) and we were ready to change into beach-wear and go play on the beach! It was so great that we could get to our room early and do that! Plus they gave us a goodie bag for being a priority member - water and snacks - a great touch after a trip from Houston in the car! They also brought up the crib I had requested almost as quickly as we got to the room. Room was nice, clean (except for a left-over pretzel under the AC unit) and well appointed. We did have to put a torn up ottoman out in the hallway since my toddler wanted to continue tearing off the fabric that was already loose on it. They picked it up the next day from outside our room. Loved the large fridge and microwave which was perfect for cooling and heating meals for our toddler! Both worked great and we were able to store sandwiches and drinks as well for the 2 days we were there! Pool was clean and very nice...even had balls and floaties available for free for the kids! They also had poolside flavored drinking water and towels...nice amenities you don't usually see at a mid-priced hotel! Bar was friendly and drinks were good (Happy hour was great!) Saw lots of "cleaning" going on around the hotel which is good! Another surprise was the room service....ordering was a little tough b/c of the accent but we managed. It was delivered on time and was suprisingly delicious!! We had gumbo, grilled shrimp and ceasar salad with salmon filet - very tasty!! Housekeeper for the room did a wonderful job...so nice to come home from the beach to a nice, clean room with made beds and all fresh towels...like being a higher priced hotel! The beach near the hotel is quiet and nice (for Galveston) and it was SO great having Landry's and the San Luis right next door to take advantage of their offerings. The hotel also showed an outdoor video at night by the pool which was very cool. The music at the bar that night (all rooms have oceans views and patios) was a bit loud (although the rednecks on the 2nd floor were MUCH louder) but the AC unit drowned out any annoying noise.I would recommend that the hotel redo the guard rails on the patios though....they are flimsy and my 21 month old could easily fit right through the vertical rails...scary!! Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for top floors to avoid music at night....take advantage of happy hour!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank waparker1968
Michelle F, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to pass along the note about the patio railings - safety of our guests is definitely high on our priority list - as well as your kind words for all departments. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you in making your next reservation. Thank you again, and we will see you soon!
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our check in was a breeze as was check out. We were heading out for a cruise and came into Galveston a couple of days early to start our vacation. They have great free parking for those cruising out of Galveston.
I believe every room has a view of the gulf. The rooms are a little dated, but clean and comfortable. We had three rooms for our group and all were very good although not fancy for the price. Galveston is fairly overpriced during the summer anyway.
Nice to sit and look our window or from our balcony at the rolling waves and watch the wave runners. We were here while a storm was rolling in and the waves were higher than normal in the gulf. The hotel has a nice pool area and showed a movie for kids at the pool on Friday night. They have inside movies for families as well.
Kids eat at the hotel for free which is great for families with kids. The food was decent. Morning buffet made it easy to get done with breakfast and get going for the day.
We would definitely stay here again if in Galveston for a cruise.
We usually travel with a pet and this in not a pet friendly hotel so would not stay on general travel, but only for that reason.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sassykay
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Please contact me directly for assistance in setting up your future booking. Thank you again, and we will see you very soon!