Commodore on the Beach
$187
$176
  • Pool
Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21(Galveston)(Great Value!)
$116
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Inn & Suites Beachfront(Galveston)(Great Value!)
$179
$135
$140
  • Beachfront
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront(Galveston)(Great Value!)
$135
$161
Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center(Galveston)(Great Value!)
$249
$183
$179
  • Restaurant
Hilton Galveston Island Resort(Galveston)(Great Value!)
$120
$104
Hilton.com
All reviewsan older hotelacross the streetgumbo dinerevery room has a balconypleasure pierview of the oceancrosswalkport
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I travel for work. I am not to concerned about the swimming pool or other activities. I do care about having an iron and hair dryer. Unfortunately, this hotel had neither.
Also, the rooms are filthy, there's spider webs on the windows, the bathroom faucet looks like there calcium deposits on them. I stayed in a double bed room and both beds need to be replaced, they both seem to lean to the side.
The good thing is the staff, they are very friendly. And the location, the place is right across from the beach.
Also, the price is extremely high for what you get.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Newbie-sd
Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the commodore for the lone star bike rally in galveston from 10/30/09-11/1/09. We were on the first floor so our patio door went right out to the pool area. It was great to come back from a long day on the strand, go outside and watch the bikes and waves go by. The room was very clean and spacious. I loved the brick wall in the room. It gave it so much character. The hotel is older than some, but it was clean and you can't beat the views. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive. In my opinion you can't find a better spot on the seawall. There were several restaurants nearby and a convenience store was in walking distance. The hotel will provide you a refrigerator in your room if you request it free of charge. This is a great place for the price!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmgray77
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My kids are ready to go again and stay in the same hotel, even if it was somewhat run down. But the location of the hotel right across from the beach was so convenient and with us being gone most of the day, it worked out. and having the camera at the pool allowed the kids to call their dad back home and wave at him on his computer...they thought that was pretty cool. If I had not been deployed this past August we would have made the trip again, but plans are being made to return this summer.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank rka1160
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I don't know what some of the other reviewers wanted for the price, but I thought the Commodore was fine. Of course I didn't go expecting the Hotel Galvez...and I didn't pay the $400 a night price for it either!

My friend and I have come to Galveston in late summer as an annual thing for several years now. We stayed in the Flagship before because it was the only hotel over the water. Now that it is standing unused, we had to look for another spot. We are NOT chi-chi women who run at the site of a bug or complain about every little thing. We are laid back, and don't spend lots of time in our hotel room.

After reading the reviews of pretty much all the reasonably priced (for my budget) hotels on Seawall, I was afraid to stay ANYWHERE in Galveston. Finally I chose the Commodore because it was across from an accessible area of the beach, had an ocean view in every room, had balconies and was in our price range. Plus it looked kind of cool and funky.

Our room was ready when we arrived, around 3:30, the woman at the front desk was efficient and business-like, friendly enough, and offered to have a porter help us with our bags, which we declined. We we told where to park, shown on a "map" where our room and the elevator was, instructed there is no smoking ANYWHERE at the hotel and given a form to sign saying if we smoked we'd be charged an extra $150 per night (ACK!) Bummer. But still, they were clear and up front about it.

When we asked for a refrigerator ($15 for our entire stay...not bad!), it was delivered within about 5-10 minutes. Awesome service!

We walked in to a clean, funky room with cute orange curtains and bright flamingo print bedspreads. Sheets and bedspreads were very clean (and I saw them removing bedspreads to wash in the mornings, which impressed me). Decent quality sheets. Standard hotel towels...just like you get at LaQuinta, Hotel 6, or any of the Quality Inn/Best American hotels. Nice, clear TV...all channels worked, as did the remote. There was a clock/radio/alarm, but we didn't use it. No ironing board, blow dryer or coffee maker, but really, who gives a **** - I'm on VACATION!

The room was quite cool, bordering on cold, when we arrived. Thermostat was on 70 and it felt it. Of course, it was mid-September, and temps ran between 75-90, so it wasn't as hard to cool the room. We did notice one night that it got a bit warmer. I thought maybe we'd frozen the system up, so turned off the cooling and turned just the fan on for a few hours, and it got better. Coincidence? yeah, probably. Still, we were comfortable all weekend long.

The elevator was old and kind of slow, but so what? It beat hauling my butt up four flights of stairs at the end of the day. I can see that it was probably pretty warm in the hotter months, but you can always take the stairs, as we did on the way down most of the time.

The food at the Dutch Kettle restaurant was simply, well-cooked and cheap. Definitely recommend it for breakfasts if you want more than continental or don't feel like getting up before 10.

Location was pretty darn good. Across from the beach, next door to Gaidos, near lots of good restaurants...and did I mention the beach?

So if you are looking for a clean, satisfactory room near the beach at a decent rate, this is the place. I especially recommend it to fans of the Flagship. Those people can hang!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mergrrl
Reviewed August 19, 2009

OUr room had the overwelming odor of Pee. We ask for housekeeping who said "We don't smell anything, we clean room nice for you just now". Wrong. there was mold in the bath room and tub. I realize that it was a family hotel but noone was paying any attention to the dozen kids outside all the rooms in the pool diving off the waterfall eating in the pool (bologna sandwich floated by) and just being down right irritating. Parking was first come first serve (not enough). The one elevator had obviously been though a hurricane and never serviced afterwards. It barely moved and it was nearly 100 degrees. There was a nice view of the Gulf.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple