“Don't stay here....”

Ranked #35 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Don't stay here....”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night because we were exhausted. Clean enough to pull back the sheets and take a shower but I wanted to leave ASAP. The outsides were dirty trash cans etc. Old hotel with good views but I wanted to get out of there. They did offer a coffee juice and free Sara Lee muffin but I didn't want to be there. The tea was excellent. That tea and view was the only good thing.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Annie848

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This hotel is located directly along the Seawall in Galveston. It's centrally located next to Gaido's restaurant and Joe's Crab Shack. The rooms are brick, and each room has a view of the ocean. I love it because it's very quiet, and you can't hear noise from other rooms. My husband and I go there for date nights in Galveston.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Rooms up above the first floor have the best view. I try to stay on the third...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shafa66
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is by far the worst hotel experience I have ever encountered. I hope anyone who gets to read this takes to heart this review and saves there hard earned money and go elsewhere. The view was outstanding the pool incredible. However everything else was horrible and left me wishing I had read reviews more closely before booking this hotel.

The room was in deplorable condition, I did not have high expectations but this place made my skin crawl. The bathrooms had hair on the floor, broken faucets and uncomfortable beds. But this was just the beginning... repeatedly we were woken by voices shouting in the outside corridor in the wee hours of morning. Which explained all the warnings and extra locks on doors when strangers tried to get in room while we were sleeping (could hear there drunken brawl from our beds). Breakfast was a choice of muffins or cereal. We were floored by th e rudeness of the manager when we asked for milk that was not soured. His answer was " I've been doing this job for twenty years and no one is going to tell me how to run my job"!

We were so disturbed by the rudeness of staff and felt unsafe we decided to check out early. We booked through a popular website that took good care of us and got our money refunded for t he second night gratefully. But once again we were treated rudely at front desk and manager argued with us on check I my us out. So beware of this hotel and know ahead of time exactly what you getting into before staying even with the view it not worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Hayvnsmommy
Galveston
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a great hotel for the price and convenient for cruise parking. The front desk clerk the night we checked in should have been at home in bed. She was very sick, ie. coughing, sneezing, bad mood, flu like. I felt sorry for her, but was tired myself and was hoping for better customer service greeting. She should not have been at work that night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Mary Melody G
Borger, Texas
Reviewed April 24, 2014

First room had only lite warm water and maintenance treated me as if I was stupid. Having finally decided I was right he recommended for us to move. Second room, door does not seal well so noise is allowed into room from walkway and elevator. Also under room was the pool gate that slammed throughout our stay. Water was hot but pressure was poor and tub drained slow leaving you standing in your dirty water. Toilet plumbing is about to come apart from wall when you flush it. Trash under beds & dressers. Beds, you sleep in a hole all night. A spiderman tooth brush showed up out of the blue on my husbands folded clothes one afternoon. Heard many excuses from staff. The next day a cleaning rag was left on bathroom counter by our tooth brushes. Staff in general I got the feeling they hated their jobs. Building outside of our room had big crack in brick wall structure. Yes this hotel is old, but still.............So not worth the price! Time to take it down and build a new.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We chose this hotel after driving up and down the sea front.The rooms are a little dated but the sea view balcony easily outweighs this.Absolutely stunning sunsets and sunrises.Rooms are clean and large.And parking is great.The pool is a lovely suntrap with a great little waterfall.The hotel is situated next to bars and restaurants so all together a lovely little hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank russ h
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We just went on a one night Galveston getaway and this hotel was perfect. We looked at many hotels / inn's in the area and could not find any ocean view rooms for anywhere near what it cost us at the Commodore. Check in was very easy. All staff that we dealt with was very nice and courteous. Parking was very convenient and free right behind the hotel where the stairs and the elevator is. Yes, the rooms are outdated but so what. If you are staying there 1 or 2 nights who cares? There were no issues with the room itself. They had flat screen TV's, lots of chairs and unlike some reviews the bathroom was actually newly remodeled and looked to be like the newest and most modern part of the room. Again, all we needed the room for is to sleep, use the bathroom, and store our stuff. We don't need a luxury penthouse. Some people need to be more realistic. The fact that all the rooms at this hotel all have ocean view, pool, and low price - will make me consider this place first the next time we decide to stay in Galveston. Also, on the other side of the hotel, as you walk out the door is the view of harbor side. On Sunday you can clearly see the cruise ships at the port.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Better views are on the higher floors. There are 4 floors at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank JetRocket11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#24 of 52 in Galveston Island
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Days Inn & Suites Galveston West/Seawall

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!