“Good view of the beach.”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hotel is on a superb location. All room's balcony open to the sea, panorama is too good. I've paid $90/night for king size room.
My choice was room on 4rth floor, room was superb but Heater was not working. Later we shift to 3rd floor. Hotel service is OK. We have to bring water from front office to our room.
Overall it was good experience to stay.

Room Tip: Try to find room on 4rth floor to have a good view of sea.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 1, 2013

If you are looking for a fancy place to celebrate, you may want to save up your shekels for a nicer place. if this is all you can afford, then the view of the beach and gulf is just as nice as it would be down the road for a lot more money. I stayed one night this past weekend. Since I was going alone to get away from all the Black Friday crazies, I just wanted some place cheap. The property is definitely old and dated, but you know that going in. It is in a great location and within walking distance to several restaurants. The one next door is called The Gumbo Diner (I think). They have really good food, and great staff. I would stay at this place again for a no frills weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the third of fourth floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place was so awful that we left the city early and went to Houston. The room was old and dirty. The front desk employees were lazy! On top of the terrible condition and poor service, I left my textbooks for class and felt as though I was lied to on the phone. They told me to call back when the maids were in the next day and when I did the lady at the front desk said she "Didn't have no books." I continued to be polite and I called back that night. I was told again that the maids would be in the next morning and to call back for them to check lost and found. After calling for 4 days in a row one of their employees told me she saw my books but had no idea where they put it. This was extremely frustrating. I gave up on ever seeing my books again because of their rude and lazy attitudes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We attend the Lone Star Motorcycle Rally in Galveston every year. This was the first time to stay at the Commodore...and it will be the last. We paid $250 a night and couldn't find a place to park our two Harley touring bikes because management allowed pickup trucks with flatbed trailers to parallel park across multiple parking spaces. When we booked our reservation, we verified there was parking allocated for each room. There is one elevator & a long wait for it. Once the doors opened, there were beer bottles rolling around inside...and they stayed there all day. The room...where to begin...is tiny with old furniture and bedspreads straight out of the '80's. Brick walls, low ceiling, and only one plug across the room from the bed. Mattresses & pillows were soft and very comfortable. The problem was the floor (both carpeted and tiled) plus the bath tub were filthy! Lots of hair & debris like old wrappers, etc. We checked in on Friday. Saturday morning my husband told the 3 ladies handling housekeeping that he would tip them extremely well if they would scrub our room. If possible, it was actually worse. They didn't touch the floors and their long black hair hung off the clean towels they placed in the bathroom. (We have light colored hair). My final complaint is the size of the bathroom. It's minuscule! So tiny they angle the toilet from a corner so the door can open & close and the bath tub is the size you would find in a travel trailer....half size. Yes, we realize there were at least 200,000 people on the island for the rally and all room prices are drastically inflated. We don't complain about the rates as long as we have secure parking and a clean room!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

It is an older building but very clean and kept up. Rooms were nice, decent size, and the employees were wonderful! We had a room in the second floor and when we arrived they offered us a room on the top (4th) floor if we wanted it. Even told is which one had the best view!
It is by no means fancy so I that's what your looking for this place isn't for you, but the location is perfect !! Walking distance to a lot of eating places!
In the middle of sea wall blvd so everything is easy to access!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed November 1, 2013

needs a tidy up and clean behind the scenes but, having said that, the room was clean and reasonable size with a real bath although many items like doors and windows need updating. we had a great sea and pier view from the top floor (but with a gale and regular squalls) and were treated to the most amazing storm around midnight where the rain was so heavy it cut the satellite tv! for a quarter of an hour. back to check in where the room was ready when we arrived around 11am which was nice and the staff very helpful, pointing out that there was 24 hour coffee etc at reception, the following morning's breakfast was ok but a bit "plastic" with everything in cellophane! no real complaints about the stay (apart from the weather) considering the price we paid

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I thought so much of this place over the years. I have always wanted to stay it is so appealing from the outside. But it stops there. The place is a mess. Everything is so old and outdated. The bathtub looks like it belongs in a prison. Not to mention is if the size of a tub that belongs in barbies house. Never again. On a side note the water pressure is good. So disappointed!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple