“Across the street from the beach, good location, not great hotel”

Commodore on the Beach
Ranked #36 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Muskogee, Oklahoma
“Across the street from the beach, good location, not great hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Room was ok, doesn't seem like the best/safest area, but the balcony was awesome. Nice to be able to sit out there at night & watch the ocean. Also, the hotel is easy access to walk to restaurants & the pier. A worker said Monday-Thursday, rooms are $70 which is fitting, but Memorial Day weekend, they charged us $182! Didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Also didn't eat the breakfast so don't know about it.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our room was small but we only slept their , we had fun the room was cold , bathroom room was small but we were gone all day , the pool was nice , breakfast was cereal , oatmeal, muffins ,juices , milk , coffee , & cookies w/ milk at 5 pm in lobby everyday it was walking distance to beach , ect they have us more towels & the only bad thing is my kids were cold we didn't bring extra blantes & wished they would of told us about the extras in the drawers in room ! We didn't look until that morning double checking we didn't leave anything :) we stayed may 18 in room 306 I would stay again

• Stayed May 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you want luxury, don't stay here. This hotel is old and out-dated, but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the employees were friendly and very accommodating. The pool area has just been redone and is a great addition. The location on the strip is perfect. We walked to restaurants, shopping and Pleasure Pier. Be sure to ride the Port Bolivar Ferry while you are there. You can feed the seagulls and watch the dolphins as you ride.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Karen G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The negative, snobby reviews this hotel have received are quite humorous . It is quite apparent this place is not the lap of luxury and anyone who books this hotel would be able to figure this out, so the "it is not what I thought it would be and want my money back" reviews are laughable.

What this hotel is: a retro 60's throwback close to the beach with a nice pool, decent customer service and within walking distance to the Pleasure Pier and quite a few restaurants. The breakfast was nothing fancy but at least it is something to fill your stomach until you can get to a restaurant, if you wanted to. I happened to like the coffee, also. I have had much, much worse so no complaints there. :)

While it was clean enough, yes it needs a little TLC. It was built in the 60's and is NOT some resort hotel but I found it to be charming and exactly what we were looking for on a Mother's Day weekend getaway from Houston that we needed.

I also had a reservation that WAS honored and I got the room I wanted on the day I wanted it. I suggest checking in before 4:00pm, as is requested by the hotel. The older gray haired gentleman was very friendly and helpful, as well, which was much appreciated.

Last but not least, the view was awesome. Waking up to that made my Mother's Day even more special.

Room Tip: Confirm reservation. Make sure you check in before 4pm
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie9001
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Some friends and I decided to take a spur of the moment motorcycle trip to Galveston, TX. After calling around, checking Hotel.com, Expedia etc.. it was becoming apparent we were not going to get a room. Commodore came up on the sights but we needed 2 rooms or acommodations for 5 adults. I called Commodore directly and spoke to Nancy (awsome), she asked to call me back and did about 15 minutes later. She offered us the Family suite above the lobby (sleeps 8) it was perfect. Beds were soft and she made sure we had plenty of towels. The air conditioning was out which would have been a problem later in the year, but temps outside were cool. We parked bikes out front and had 24hr security, continental breakfast and hot coffee (not the best I've ever had but hot). This place made our trip a success.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I gave all terrible scores and we didnt evven stay here. I made a reservation online at this hotel for Sat night april 27., 2013. I put my credit card info, wrote a note under comments saying, "we will be in very late as we will be at an event in Houston and will be extremely tired when we arrive after midnight! Please please please do not give this room away.!" I got a confirmation number. I printed it out. At midnight when we arrive extremely tired and ready for bed, they had ignored our reservation and goven the room away. No rooms available! No rooms anywhere available at all on the Island. What good is a damn confirmation number?. And this hotel looks like a true dump from the outside. I can just imagine the crap it is on the inside. Dont date book here. They will trash your reservation. They are greedy as hell and take anyone with cash ignoring the people who relied on their ridiculous hoax of on line booking. Trust me! Book somewhere else!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank EKD416
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galveston
Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Gaido's Seaside Inn
Gaido's Seaside Inn
#23 of 53 in Galveston Island
Holiday Inn Resort Galveston-On The Beach
Days Inn & Suites Galveston West/Seawall

Been to Commodore on the Beach? Share your experiences!