“Different and tasty homestyle food!”
Review of Courtyard Cafe

Courtyard Cafe
Ranked #167 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Description: Eastern European food at a reasonable price, gluten free options are listed on our menu, fresh vegetables from local farmers, and vegetarian meals are available if called ahead to prepare.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were in town for a few months so we had a chance to visit the place several times. The food was very tasty. The times we were there the places was not busy so we had all the attention from our waiter. They have a board with the dishes they have for the day so there are not many options but the few available were always great. I would recommend this place and will definitely go back when I am in Galveston

1  Thank Charlie1777

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I found this adorable restaurant by looking online for authentic Hungarian food in the greater Houston area. My family is from Galveston County & we were vacationing in Galveston, so this was perfect !! My sister recently adopted siblings from Hungary & we wanted to give the kids a "taste of home". My 6 y/o nephew had once stated his most favorite food was weiner schnitzel. Courtyard Cafe didn't disappoint !!! It was delicious mouthwatering buttery.....thinly pounded out pork tenderloin, lightly breaded & pan fried...HUGE serving. A spicy mustard on the side complemented it beautifully. The sides we had to choose from were potato salad (YES !!!!!!!) cucumber salad, dinner salad ( a terrific house made dressing) carrots, sauer kraut, and sauteed cabbage. The other entrees to choose from were cabbage rolls, a type of rueben style layered "lasagna" dish, and a pork chop stuffed served over potatoes. We all ordered the weiner schnitzel and potato salad & dinner salads ( one had cucumber salad). The kids shared a portion after we saw the size delivered to fellow diners. The two dining rooms were quite eclectic in decor, but the shining star was the courtyard. I wish it had been cooler outside, we'd have loved to dine out there. I look forward to returning in the fall. Dinner was cooked to order, so service was not as fast as some places, but worth the wait. The waiter was quite nice, and the owners wife checked on us several times. We had spoken with her the night before when we called to confirm that weiner schnitzel was on the menu. The owner is the cook, and also stopped by our table once. None of us had room for dessert, which was fine because all I saw was a bundt cake described as pistachio cake. It looks exactly like one I make from the Cake Mix cook book.
We thoroughly enjoyed dinner, the kids liked it too even though no one spoke Hungarian that evening in the dining room.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Odd little place open 5:30 to 9:30 Wednesday thru Saturday but get there early. Small kitchen means they only make a handful of dishes - like 4 different entrees and about 5 sides BUT EVERY SINGLE ONE IS AMAZING! The staff is nice and atmosphere is great. I tell everyone who gets a chance to go. You will be looking for times you can get back! Try the red cabbage and get the dessert!

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Colorful owner! The food was excellent! They had my favorite wine which is not normal in any resturant and my husband found a great Czech Beer - Czechvar - that is normally not found in the US. Inside/outside dining a real plus! Cannot say enough of how good the food was! I had the Telopia with rice and vegetables and Hubby had the Wienersnitchal which was also excellent!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Probably the only real Czech restaurant in Texas. Limited menu which changes day-to-day, but what they offer is very good. Atmosphere is of a neighborhood cafe, not a pretentious big time restaurant. With Czech beer, what could be better! Open Wednesday through Saturday evenings only. Very reasonable and good. Owner is a Slovak, same as a Czech. Try it!