“One of the Best Restaurant Experiences Ever”

Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks
Ranked #30 of 324 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Jones Road
Description: Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is one of only 11 Houston/Galveston area restaurants to receive AAA’s Four Diamond Award of Excellence and has done so each year since 2004. Located on the ninth floor, Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is Galveston's finest restaurant unsurpassed both in cuisine and service with an upscale ambiance. Local Galvestonians flock to this Island oasis (link to Activities & Attractions page) to enjoy the signature dishes of Urs Schmid including his Shrimp Dejong and Lobster Bisque. Open Tuesday through Saturday for Dinner. Dressy Casual attire required. No jeans, shorts, swimwear, cutoffs, tank tops or hats allowed in the dining area. Collared shirts and sandals are acceptable.Shearn's Lounge is the perfect setting for afternoon and evening cocktails surrounded by truly spectacular views of the stunning Pyramids of Moody Gardens and the sunsets over Galveston Bay. Open Tuesday through Saturday in the afternoons. Dressy Casual Attire.
Reviewed August 5, 2018

If you want great food, fantastic food and amazing views, this is where you need to eat. Located on the top of the Moody Gardens Hotel, this place is worth every cent. It's not much more expensive than the restaurant downstairs in my opinion. While everything is a la carte, you get a filet, the sides are extra, one side will feed a table of four to six, trust me! Get the macaroni and cheese...it is the best! I ate there twice while at Moody Gardens Hotel, my last two nights, wish I had done it more, however, it is closed Sundays and Mondays. I had the Shrimp Cocktail...a work of art visually and gastronomically! Ice cold beer both nights, the filet the second night that I could cut through with my fork it was so tender! Splurge and go, the view from the lounge is better than from the dining room (I'd rather see the bay than Schlitterbahn).

Reviewed July 31, 2018

This is one of the top two restaurants in the city--the other is Rudy and Pacos. You will not go wrong on either of the two, but they are very different from each other. Shearns is set apart by the magnificent views from the 9th floor of the hotel (Moody Gardens). You can see the Gulf and the bay from the windows. The opulent decorations of the hotel "carry over" into Shearns and make it much more visually appealing than Rudy's. However the food and presentation of both is excellent.

When you look at the attached menu for the special event you will have a sense as to the ability of the chef and his staff to make a "world class" presentation. Even though it was served in a buffet fashion (and, I do not think a meal like this could really be done any other way because it allows the foodie to select the dishes he/she really wants and allows you to stretch yourself on some items you are not certain you are going to like or dislike) it really provided a more festive atmosphere and allowed time for conversations in line.

This was only the second time we have ever been here; however, the staff completely changed the rooms for the function we attended. Fortunately, the attention to detail was still readily apparent. We were impressed with everything served--except for the risotto, which is a favorite dish of mine. I have come to the conclusion that it should never be served to large groups. It is a dish that has to be "individually" prepared--for no more than 6 to 8 people. The prep work is to labor intensive to make it right--too much so for large group! If a class act like this can't do it, no one can! From now on, I am always going to make certain my risotto is not sitting in warming station!!!

I really hate to make the previous statement (but it makes an important point) because the menu was a real tour de force--special in every way. The ice sculptures and the the carved melons were spectacular. The wine selections were decent. The event was wonderful--memorable!

We really like this restaurant, and are going to visit it more often!

Reviewed July 21, 2018

We celebrated my birthday in this lovely restaurant. As a resident of Galveston County, I was amazed I had never heard of this place. I love good food and Shearn's exceeded my expectations. The lobster bisque was the best I've had since the Ritz Carleton in Tampa, FL. The Chateaubriand was cooked to perfection, but the highlight for me was my favorite dessert, Grand Marnier Soufflé which you must order when you first arrive. It took 17 years of living in the area to discover this place. If you appreciate fine dining & excellent service (ours was rendered by Mark) plan a visit to Shearn's!

1  Thank Suzanne l
Reviewed June 22, 2018

Amazing that this place is not often mentioned in lists of "Best Restaurants". Guess not enough tourists go here. It seems to cater to locals who want a very special occasion kind of place and the convention trade at the hotel. This restaurant is truly first class, food is very well prepared, service is attentive but not bothersome, and the views are magnificent. Had our 40th anniversary dinner here last week and it was outstanding. Gave us a huge piece of triple chocolate cake for dessert which was complimentary. We have been here several times and it is always wonderful. They have a dress code but they should - you don't want some yahoo in a t-shirt sitting next to you in this establishment. Overall probably the nicest and best restaurant on the island, and we have been to just about all of them.

Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

I was a little apprehensive since I was by myself. I was warmly greeted by the woman working at the front desk. The restaurant is beautiful with wonderful view of the Gulf of Mexico .I found the service to be courteous, professional and prompt. Fortunately the food was not served immediately after I ordered . It was cooked after I ordered it ! Spinach salad was great. Red snapper was perfect. Hope to return soon !