“Anniversary completed with a perfect meal”

Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 316 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Jones Road
Description: Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is one of only 11 Houston/Galveston area restaurants to receive AAA’s Four Diamond Award of Excellence and has done so each year since 2004. Located on the ninth floor, Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is Galveston's finest restaurant unsurpassed both in cuisine and service with an upscale ambiance. Local Galvestonians flock to this Island oasis (link to Activities & Attractions page) to enjoy the signature dishes of Urs Schmid including his Shrimp Dejong and Lobster Bisque. Open Tuesday through Saturday for Dinner. Dressy Casual attire required. No jeans, shorts, swimwear, cutoffs, tank tops or hats allowed in the dining area. Collared shirts and sandals are acceptable.Shearn's Lounge is the perfect setting for afternoon and evening cocktails surrounded by truly spectacular views of the stunning Pyramids of Moody Gardens and the sunsets over Galveston Bay. Open Tuesday through Saturday in the afternoons. Dressy Casual Attire.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We celebrated our anniversary on Saturday at The Shearn and enjoyed every bit of it from the greeting to the view to the meal. The view is spectacular and the service was spot on. Had the Shrimp DeJong for an app and my husband wanted the recipe (of course didn't get it) the sauce was so awesome he sopped up the last of the sauce with the bread. I had the special encrusted sea bass and he had the grilled grouper. I usually don't finish my fish entrees because they are either too much or not flavored enough - the sea bass was so good I ate all of it. Also had the dessert sampler (cheesecake, bread pudding, creme brulee and the mint ice cream cookie sandwich) and they were awesome also. Just can't say enough about the overall service. The manager Byron also helped make it a perfect evening.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

The service was very poor. Many times we had to ask the busboy to get the attention of the waiter. i asked for a second glass of wine and a second cup of coffer - both of which took about 30 minutes to arrive. We waited for a long time to order and a very long time to get the bill. We were about to get up and leave when the waiter showed up with the bill and said that a 17% gratuity had been automatically added! We declined to pay it.

Some of the food was quite good, but other dishes were unimpressive. The escargot and the lump crab meat were quite good, but the house salad was uninspiring and my husband's $60 lobster tails were mainly tasteless - but with a lot of herbs added. While this may be fine dining for Galveston, it had the feel of fine dining from the 70s - three sets of knives and forks and a small dish of shebert between meals.

Not the experience I was hoping for.

3  Thank Christine M
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I first found Shearn's when we were staying at the Moody Gardens Hotel for an event at Moody Gardens. We didn't want to drive to the Seawall to find a restaurant, so we splurged and went up to the Shear's on the top floor of the hotel.
The view is breathtaking; the service outstanding and the menu selection sparked interest.
My wife and I started with the stuffed mushrooms and followed it with a shared chateaubriand that just melted in our mouths.

The following month we were staying at a hotel on the seawall, but went to Shearn's for our anniversary. I asked for something special to help us celebrate and left it up to them to decide what.
We had the Filet Oscar, which was outstanding. At the conclusion of the meal they came out with a dessert of Petit Fours that were delightful.
We will go again.

1  Thank LARRY77571
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed at the Moody Gardens resort and thought we would try this place since at the hotel. It's on the 9th floor. We had a 30 minute wait so we had a glass of wine in the lounge and got to watch the best sunset from up there while listening to a great singer/piano player. The view is spectacular!! Then we got seated and had a delicious meal. The filet was the best I ever had! Service was wonderful. A little pricey but well worth it. Only weird thing I thought was automatic gratuity added at 17% but did not bother me. Gave 20+ % on top of that.

2  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed May 13, 2014

A very fine restaurant, with one of the better views of Galveston.
Interior is elegant, up-scale. Very classy.
Service this night was first-rate: Attentive, without being intrusive. Pleasant, helpful servers who got blind-sided when the kitchen didn't tell them they were out of an item.
Food was well-presented, very good, except the filet was cooked without imagination.

Problem came, as it often does with hotel restaurants, with Handicapped access. NO handicapped parking for restaurant patrons! Valet parking may be free for restaurant, but couldn't confirm it. Still, free valet parking means you should tip, which means you have to pay for disabled parking (unless you're a totally cheap jerk) while healthy folks can walk right in. Fortunately the parking lot out back led into a wet, dank parking structure and an elevator. So, three stars instead of five.

1  Thank danny w