“Okay... but Not Great”

Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
San Marcos, Texas
“Okay... but Not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Staff was nice and greeted me when I entered. First impression of the room (Rm 128) was it looked great. After settling in my wife got in the bed and said, this comforter smells like BO. Sure enough it did... I requested another one and we went out for dinner. When we got back they brought a new one and just put it on the bed all folded up. No big deal... I can unfold the king sized comforter and put it over the bed. After watching some TV there were some weird buzzing noises coming from the walls, low tone so I could push it out. We decided we would go to the hot tub and in the bathroom it says to get a towel from the front desk - don't if you want an actual towel. The towel we received was tiny and I'm a 6' 190 lbs man - not large. This thing could barely go around me much less dry me since it had been washed a billion times. Oh almost forgot that the gate for the pool didn't actually work and had to be opened from the inside. After that, we wanted some ice cream, so we bought the $3 pint. After eating some in the room, we then find that the fridge does not work... Breakfast was good. It has shower tubs btw.

After telling the front desk about all this the next morning he just states "sorry about that, we will tell the proper department".

How about giving me a coupon or offering me a partial refund. Something that actually is worth my time then a passive regret that might not get passed on after I leave...

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gbsmith002
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Although it sounds like we had a couple of items that deserved our attention (and better communication to you)...We appreciate that you stayed with us, gave us positive things as well and have given us the chance to correct these items thanks to your feedback!
I have no idea as to what caused the odor you say was on (in) the bedspread. You may have noticed how wrinkled they tend to look...that is because we wash them constantly. It mishapens and wrinkles the insert. I apologize for this having happened and will add that an entirely new bedding package will be installed at the first of the year. I would also like to add that the bedspread should have been placed properly on your bed, not just sat in the room and we will be addressing that with the Staff.
Yes our pool towels are smaller than the towels we place in the room. While some of that may be due to washing, I can tell you that they are already small to begin with. We will look at this situation and see if we can do something about that.
As for the fridge in your room not working...sadly that is something I could not account for or have foreseen. Less than 48 hours prior to your occupying the room the fridge was indeed working. I know this to be true because the guest prior to you left a small birthday cake in there and I retrieved it for them. The fridge was nice and cool at that time. I am sorry it stopped working and while it doesn't take away from the fact that it didn't work for you, we have since replaced the unit.
We have no knowledge of a low buzzing sound in the room, but I promise you we will look into it. We have never had that mentioned to us before.
The pool gate should never "not work". We are investigating that issue as I type this response. Thank you for mentioning this as it is a possible lefe & safety issue!

On behalf of the Ownership and the Staff I would like to again extend my apologies for the disruption in service you incurred. We always aim to get it 100% right...sometimes we come up short. It is feedback like this that allows us to recognize when we have failed to produce and that allows us to get better. I would appreciate if you would consider our property again in the future and allow us to show you that we are better than what you witnessed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had looked at many hotels in the area. This one for the money was a great value. The staff was very polite and accomodating! I requested arrangements to have roses in the room upon our arrival. Mangement went above and beyond and made sure everything was perfect for the getaway! Nice Job!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are nice for viewing the Gulf of Mexico.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph022
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind feedback! We had a great time assisting you and little requests like that make our job so much fun! Thank you for letting us be apart of your special evening and we hope we will see you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here on the 18th ,cruise ship for a week left the car. We were on the 3rd floor with a view of the parking lot. Walmart is around the corner so that was nice and convenient. For the price I would stay somewhere else next time. This CS is not up to most for a choice hotel, shuttle driver(Dennis) was nice enough, and is great at his job. Hotel is about 20minutes away from port.....with no traffic.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank OKtraveling
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the feedback. We appreciate your comments and will use them to not only encourage and commend the Staff, but to also see how we can improve on things. On behalf of the entire Team...thank you and I hope you will consider perhaps giving us another look the next time you are in Galveston.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Galveston over Memorial Day Weekend. Everything was wonderful. We were on the third floor in a room facing the ocean, and the balcony was breezy and great for relaxing. Our room had comfortable beds after long days at the beach and walking around Galveston. The room was cleaned so well, and the staff was friendly. The free breakfast and free Wifi were great too! Everything was wonderful.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the ocean side. The view is beautiful! Also, walk next door to Kites Unlimited...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katherine O
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you so very much for the kind words. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay! Your feedback will be shared with the Staff. I hope we will see you again the next time you are in Galveston!
El Campo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We decided to celebrate our 7th anniversary in Galveston at this hotel in their jacuzzi suite room... we are so glad we did. Room was very nice, people were very friendly, The hotel sits a bout 1000 feet further back from the shore than most but it makes it very quite as there is little street noise to contend with. The view was still remarkable and we had a great time. there were many restaurants available nearby. highly recommend!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bro-chrisj
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! We are thrilled that you spent your Anniversary with us. I hope that we will see you for your next Anniversary (or maybe sooner)!
Granbury, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here because we could park our car for free all week while cruising. They also provide a shuttle to and from the terminal. That alone made it totally worth our stay. The beds were comfortable. The free breakfast was hot and good. the staff was very attentive. It wasn't the cleanest place I've stayed but it worked beautifully for us for the night (this is my only reason for 4 stars). We rented a room on the top floor, facing the Gulf. It really wasn't that big of a deal though because you aren't right across the street from the boardwalk, you're almost half a block so your view also contains a lot of telephone poles, etc... We will definitely stay here again when cruising as it saved us a bunch of parking fees and the convenience was well worth it.

Room Tip: If you do want a Gulf view, ask for a room on the top two floors with a Gulf view. Otherwise, you a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lacey C
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Your feedback has been shared with our Staff and Ownership! We are happy to serve you and I hope we will see you again in the future.
Hutchinson, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We found pluses and minuses with this hotel on our 1 night stay July 24, 2013. I like the hotel, it was clean had awesome view of the gulf from our balcony. Did have some issues with the beds, they are against the wall. The person sleeping on the outside has to crawl over the bed to get in or out. Quite inconvienent, they should give the staff a huge bonus for even getting the beds made. Wonderful breakfast and pleasant breakfast staff. I went to the front desk to request a late check out and waited quite awhile. The front desk lady was reading her magazine in the other room. I told her I had been waiting awhile and then she told me I was wrong that she had continued to peek out and had not seen anyone. The lady reading the paper to my left was the one that realized she was back there and hollered for her. It kind of put a bad feeling on staying there. Being accused of lieing is not something I encounter since it is not something I do. I should have gotten her name. I am sorry I did not.

Room Tip: Balconies on south side have a view of the gulf on 2nd and 3rd floors. Northside does not have balco...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sandra c
gm_tx885, General Manager at Comfort Suites Galveston, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Sandra C.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate the kind words and compliments.
You are correct about the beds. In some of the rooms it is a tight squeeze. We have looked at ways to minimize the situation and while we haven't hit on a good alternative yet...we're still trying! It is indeed quite the challenge for the staff to make the beds up each day in the rooms with this dilemma.
It is disappointing to hear that after an enjoyable stay, that one of the last impressions you had of us came from inexcusable behavior from a member of our desk staff. I hope you will allow me to offer a sincere apology and to say that this aberration of usual standards is not acceptable. It will be addressed.
We value the feedback. I hope the positives of our property and other staff members you encountered will outweigh the negative of one individual and that you will visit us again in the future.