“Great staff, but noisy.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Galveston Island

SpringHill Suites Galveston Island
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Great staff, but noisy.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights before a cruise. We stayed on points, so that might explain why we got the worst room, even as gold members. The decor is current which is nice, and the staff was very nice. They even gave us free stamps for our postcards. Breakfast was great for what is expected. Unfortunately, the hotel was built cheap. Leaks in the shower, sloppy construction, cheap windows that let all the highway noise in all night. Makes it hard to sleep. Also has outdated TVs and the air conditioning rattles. TV is in a bad spot so you can't sit in bed and watch very easily. Not a bad place, but feels more like Marriott's Fairfield Inn brand than the Springhill Suites.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kc5cbt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

We must have hit it at the right time because we had a lovely time in this hotel.
We were impressed with Galveston and The Strand has absolutely lovely houses.
But....the hotel. We did not have any problems with this at all. Breakfast was set out very nicely. Bed was clean and comfortable.
Do need a car though as it is an easy 5 minute drive to the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flsurg
san antonio tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

The remote for the tv didn't work at all. My husband went down twice and still didn't work. When he went to the front desk with my little girl and the girl there was very rude. Sadly my little one had to see someone being nasty to her dad...UNCALLED FOR! Our girls did not get to watch tv at all. The comforter was nasty and dirty. The beds are terrible. I talked to the hotel manager and when I saw (Indian or pakistan man) I knew I wouldn't even get a penny back. SHAME ON YOU for stealing my good money! SHAME ON YOU running a property that is dirty.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Cruising_familyof5
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

When we first checked in, we had problems gettting the rooms we wanted. We had reserved 2 connecting rooms, but there had been a miscommunication and we were given rooms across the hall--not an option as we were travelling with small children. The rooms were fine and clean (although both with double beds--why do hotels do that?). In fact there was no black residue on the bottom of our white socks as you often find in hotels. After dinner on teh first night we came back to find one of the rooms stinking of something rotten-like cooked cabbage or something dead. The manager said-let the air conditioner run, it will go away. Are you kidding me? The smell did not go away and it was quickly approaching bedtime for our children. We insisted on changing rooms and were given the ones directly below. The rooms were just as clean (one little bug in the bathroom--never saw anything else -and I was looking!). The rooms were also roomy with plenty of space to play.

As for the noise, it was much worse in the 3rd floor rooms. We finally discovered that one room had missing weather-stripping around the "balcony" door and the other room had a working window that did not slide closed well enough for the locks to click into place.

The hotel does not have any highchairs!!!!! (Why would you have cribs on hand but no highchairs???)

Location is off the highway as others have said. It only took us about 10 minutes to get to Moody Gardens or the Seawall and a little longer to get to the Strand area.

I would recommend this hotel for a short-inexpensive stay, but if you're looking for something fabulous, this is not it.

As for Galveston itself--we nwere there in the off-season but during a huge teachers conference. I cannot tell you how shocked we were by the paltry selection of restaurants for a supposedly hot tourist location. We ended up eating in the same restaurants for several of the meals. Service was iffy everywhere.

BEST PART OF OUR TRIP----The donuts at Homecuts are absolutely amazing. I don't know why, but I've never had a better powdered sugar cake donut.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel due to the negative reviews, but I decided to try it anyway.

I really liked this hotel, and I have no complaints at all. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The hotel is very clean and new. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and I didn't see any ants or bugs as reported in some of the reviews. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. My room faced the highway, but I didn't feel the traffic noise was excessive. It was mostly blocked by the AC fan. The breakfast was above average for a continental breakfast at a hotel. Breakfast included eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, pastries, bagels, make your own waffles, and more.

The only downside to this hotel is the location. If you are looking for a hotel that is walking distance to the beach or the Strand, this is not. You basically have to drive to all of the fun spots in Galveston. However, I have stayed at many of the hotels on the Seawall, and I thought this hotel was nicer and cleaner than those. So personally, I would choose this hotel over the hotels on the Seawall at which I have stayed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldTraveler000
New Orleans, LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed here for a total of 3 months from May to August 09. I put up with a lot of discomfort that I would normally not have put up with, except I'm a glutton for Marriott Points and this place gives you 10 points for every 1 dollar spent. If my company hadn't paid for my stay, and if I didn't get any points, I would not have stayed here even one day.
The hotel did a lot of refurbishing after Hurricane Ike in Sept 08, so all the rooms have new beds, linens, towels, etc. But the staff is incompetent (young, untrained, can't even transfer incoming phone calls half the time), the A/C is loud and inconsistent (I stayed in about 10 different rooms throughout all 4 floors of the place and there was a wide range of hot/cold rooms), the breakfast is cheap and nasty (fake eggs anyone??), and the workout room is a joke (2 treadmills and a broken stairstepper). Unless your company pays for your stay and/or you get free points, I would not waste my time here. The hotel is nowhere near the beach. It is located next to an abandoned building right off a noisy freeway which is about all you will see out of your window. You're better off finding an inexpensive hotel/motel right on Seawall Blvd.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

I've read the other reviews here, and I'm amazed. We stayed due to the rate we received from a Marriott employee friend, but I would stay here every time I come back to Galveston. The room was clean and nice. We had zero problems with the front desk. The breakfast was "standard free breakfast" fare, so if you're not expecting eggs benedict & mimosas, you aren't going to be disappointed. The pool was warm and well-kept.

Pre-Ike this wasn't the best part of town. There is still a lot of wreckage around the hotel itself. The houses being built in the place of trailers are $1M-plus. There's a new Target on the other side of the highway. The views on the north side of the hotel are great - Moody Gardens and the back bay.

I can't say enough good things about this place. And I hope the other reviewers here will give it another chance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family