New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston

Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Malakoff, Texas
“Very Nice Hotel Close to the Seawall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently had to spend the night in Galveston on business and since I am a Hilton Honors member I chose the Hampton Inn & Suites. I was a little disappointed that it did not overlook the seawall and Gulf of Mexico but being only a half block away, I could still smell the fresh ocean air.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by a friendly staff member who promptly checked me in, upgraded me to a suite, and gave me a snack to take to my room. The room was a large corner suite that had a couch, table, chairs and writing desk in one half of the room and a king bed with two nightstands in the other half. A 37 inch flat screen TV could be seen from anywhere in the room. When I was leaving to go out to eat, I asked the staff member for recommendations and she gladly provided me with a printed list of all the area restaurants grouped by type of cuisine, then gave me her own suggestions. Very helpful!
After dining and walking along the seawall for a bit, I returned to my room and did some work at the desk with my laptop. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. My only complaint is that the curtains didn't close all the way and the morning light woke me up earlier than I intended. The hotel has a self-serve hot and cold breakfast which was surprisingly good. The best part was the half moon shaped mini egg, ham and cheese omelets. Very good quality breakfast. At checkout, staff was very nice and friendly. Overall, a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Glenn Heights, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We are a family of five, we stayed in a King suite (one king bed, sofa pull out bed, a rollaway bed was brought in our room). It's difficult to find a room that's affordable and can accommodate all of us. We always know when we stay at a Hampton Inn we will have a good breakfast and clean room. Located just off Seawall Blvd we enjoyed our stay.

richmond, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch! the hotel is very nice, rooms are very spacious and clean. They even serve a full breakfast free... BUT when you have staff using the same rag to wipe down trash cans and utensils you eat with thats a NO NO NO!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

2 Thank Monica M
islandhampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Galveston, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
We are so sorry for the issues you experienced at our hotel and we are actively working with our food and beverage staff to make sure that it doesn't happen again. The comfort and safety of our guests is our highest priority and we thank you for your review.
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I usually give Hampton Inns four stars because they are consistently clean, friendly, have a reasonable breakfast bar and do all the right things to keep you happy. This was a normal Hampton Inn off the main beach strip so there are no Gulf views like the more pricey hotels. Room was large and clean with wet bar, frig and microwave. Everything you normally expect from Hampton Inns and a good price performer for this area. There was a security gate at the entrance that implies there is a reason for it. We had no problems and our vehicle made it safely through the night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaineonvacation
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Excellent front desk service. Good room, good breakfast, parking in the front very easy to access. Nice to have a Walmart right across the street, and only a few steps away from the beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Houston, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The rooms were very clean, breakfast was great. My plans for the family vacation were to visit the water park and Moody gardens. The hotel is so close to the attractions it was amazing plus! you can walk to the beach!!!! All of the hotel staff i encountered was very friendly and to me that is the most important thing!

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights the Memorial Day weekend. I believe the room rates were high for that reason. We would normally go for a B & B but going to Galveston was a late decision. Though the hotel has its good points, it was simply too expensive for what we got (I think it was about $250/night). Pros: the location is nice, about half a block from the Seawall, and we could see the water from our room (the non-Wal-Mart side). The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The shower was large. WiFi worked perfectly. Cons or semi-cons: no bathtub and the shower water pressure was not great. We looked at the breakfast bar the first morning but nothing was appealing so we never ate there. Toiletries were bland. The pool and fitness room are small; we ended up just getting our exercise through long walks on the Seawall, which was more fun anyway. There are no towels at the pool so ask for them at the front desk. Overall, this was a perfectly nice place to stay but really not worth what we paid. I understand that's a consequence of late booking on a summer holiday weekend, but as a result in the future I would look to stay elsewhere.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leslie K
Thank you for your review. We do all we can to create a great experience for each of our guests; actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for comfort and convenience. I appreciate your review as it provides valuable feedback. The next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us at again.