“I like the mole”

Ranked #117 of 315 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Mexican
“I like the mole”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Ate lunch here today and wife had the Abuelitas Plate and liked it. I had the chicken mole and it was good. The flour tortillas are very good and the service was great.

• Visited August 2014
Thank rickrockport .

Orange Beach, Alabama
“Best Mexican Food in the World”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

So, I consider myself an expert on the topic of Mexican food. Mi Abuelitas in Galveston is the very best Mexican restaurant in the world. Starting with the chips, salsa and tortillas and ending with either the breakfast or lunch entrée...authentic, fresh and just spectacular. If you ever went to El Nopalito's in the 80s/90s, you can count on this place being even better. And the owner is a super nice lady! If you go to Galveston and don't stop in, you will miss out on the very best the city has to offer.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank 234Michele2014
“Everything is homemade authentic meaxican food”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We found this restaurant through Google maps when we searched for Mexican restaurants on Galveston island. One of the tags said breakfast burritos so that's what we started out with. My boyfriend made an early morning run our first day of vacation. He brought back some of the best and biggest burritos we have ever had!. I had chorizo & egg AND potato egg and cheese. Its funny because one burrito is big enough for two people to share. But I didn't care. I ate every last bit. My boyfriend's parents split the fully loaded which had: eggs, potatoes, chorizo bacon..pretty much everything that have. The prices varied depending on what you wanted but they were all around 3-4 dollars apiece. The tortillas were homemade and the salsa verde was the spicier salsa and our favorite. So after success at breakfast we went to the restaurant the next day for lunch. The atmosphere was very mom and pop. It was crowded for lunch and a deputy sheriff was enjoying his lunch when we got there. It's also a good sign when the locals eat there. Our lunch order included cheese enchiladas, migas and caldo. They enchiladas were amazing. No tex mex chile con carne sauce here. They were served with a chili powder gravy instead just like my mom makes them. If you are not familiar with the dish Caldo, it is a Mexican soup. It has potatoes, corn, cabbage a clear broth & either beef or chicken. It was top notch and also looked & tatsted like my moms caldo. Migas are fried corn tortillas strips scrambled with eggs and salsa. They were delicious like everything else. We even doggie bagged & refrigerated the left over tortillas and tried to recreate the breakfast burritos when we got back to Dallas. Just not the same lol.. We tried to eat dinner here the next day but we when arrived we discovered they close at 2 p.m. So plan accordingly. We visited other larger Mexican restaurants that have way more reviews but in our opinion they just couldn't compare with Mi Abuelitas. We would definitely eat here again and I suggest you to do the same.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank localaura_1984
Round Rock, Texas
“"Migas"”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Wanted to find a not so food chain to eat at. Found this place on Urbanspoon. Great food and great service. The queso tasted just like the Mexican restaurant from home. Next time I visit Galveston will be eating here.

• Visited May 2014
Galveston, Texas
“Solid Tex-Mex”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

A small breakfast-lunch cafe with outstanding Tex-Mex. Recognize some of the staff from the old El Nopalito's.
Very tasty combination plate, with cheesy enchiladas and crackly tacos. Nicely filling.
Waitstaff friendly and helpful.
Ambiance is funky, but you come here for the food and familiar staff and locals.

• Visited March 2014