“Best Breakfast & Lunch on the Island”

Sunflower Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #4 of 13 Dessert in Galveston
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Located in the heart of Galveston's historic East End.Featuring fresh Gulf seafood, homemade sandwiches, and the best bakery in town. The Sunflower is everyone's favorite neighborhood cafe.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We eat here at least twice a week...best breakfast on the island....chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes are TO DIE FOR...love this place...it's always fresh!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Our B&B hosts had highly recommended this place, as this is a place frequented by locals, so off we went. Some things were very good, such as the very fresh garden salad and delicious homemade avocado vinaigrette. Other things were just OK. The brownie that came with the dessert was not so great, but the presentation was nice, served with ice cream. I had a fish special, a snapper crusted with almonds that was supposed to be in a lemon butter sauce. I kept thinking that something was missing as the plate was kind of dry, and lacked seasoning and lemon. It wasn’t until talking about it the next day at the B&B that I realized the kitchen had forgotten the sauce! That’s exactly what was needed. The vegetables were really excellent though (caramelized Butternut squash, grilled asparagus and pecan rice), so for that reason I would try the place again. Get there early though as the place closes at 8.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

My family visited for breakfast and later came back for sweets from the bakery! We enjoyed our breakfast, yummy pancakes, ham, sausage, potatoes. A few items were just so-so. The bakery had some very good desserts and then some not so great... blondies, cheesecake brownie, and cinnamon roll were all hits. Overall it was fun and a good experience, we would like to visit again!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

As tourists fron England, we are keen to try as many good places in Galveston as possible. Sunflower Bakery & Cafe definitely fits that bill.

It's so good we came here for breakfast on our first morning, and have already been back for lunch. It's simple food, well done.

The breakfast was superb. My wife had eggs benedict, which you would have raved about if you were staying in a 5 star hotel. Fabulous! My vegeterian oemlette was fantastic, with great rye bread, though I forgot to ask them to toast it on both sides.

Today, we had the ham and pea soup and the toasted ham, gruyere and tomato sandiwich with some of the best tasking fries I havr had in ages. The quality of the ingredients is outstanding, and the servics is friendly and charming.

You do wait a bit for the food, but when it's this good, it's worth waiting for.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We headed down to Galveston for the Lone Star Biker Rally - My honey had heard of The Sunflower Bakery and Cafe and wanted to give it a try - Weather was perfect and we pulled up to the entrance on 14th street and were greeted cheerfully as we entered - The Cafe is in an aged, but well maintained building. Parking for motorcycles is hazardous - pull up on the sidewalk or the other side of the building. We were led to the cheerful yellow room to the left and were immediately offered beverages. Our waiter was very friendly and informative - we both selected the Eggs Benedict with lump crab meat as we had been told how heavenly it was. We fully agree - the Sunflower was fairly crowded, but we received our food promptly and were provided excellent service. We each selected a bakery item - the GF selected the coffee cake which I thought just a bit dry. My raspberry coffee cake was spot on and all the fruit was easy to pick out within the cake. We HIGHLY recommend the Eggs Benedict - it was absolutely perfect - a sizable portion with a generous helping of tasty crab meat. We will most certainly return.