“Schlitterbahn Was Awsome (Except a Little Crowded)”

Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark
Ranked #14 of 101 things to do in Galveston
texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Schlitterbahn Was Awsome (Except a Little Crowded)”
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Schlitterbahn In Galveston Was Okay but it's best to get there right when they open which is 10:00 am.The Line were long but they move fast. The Lazy River Was Okay in the morning but it got a little crowded in the afternoon (not too bad). The New Part Which Features about 6-8 Waterfalls that are about 3 ft down. But if you have a smaller child that can't swim either have them in a raft with a bottom or don't bring them down that way. Cause I have two kids who flipped over on the raft's And Went under. It is pretty rough i will not do that again to be honest they should have a lifeguard right there but they don't there is 1 at the end and then the other end. we all had fun there are lockers for rent and if you have cash you dont want to put in the locker's they will give you a second wristband to load with the cash. And if you don't use it all they will give you it back. Also there is 1 part inside where there are about 7 foot wave that push you far away from each other it is very easy to get separated so hold on to each others raft's. HOPE THIS HELPED EVERYONE OUT THANKS.

1 Thank mustang8369

Montgomery, Texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Schlitterbahn Continues to Innovate”
Reviewed August 10, 2008

For the record, I have been a big fan of the original Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels for many, many years. So I headed to the park on Galveston Island with rather large expectations. I have to admit I was expecting a bigger park after the two-park setup along the Comal in New Braunfels. But what this place lacked in quantity it certainly matched in quality.

The river system that a previous reviewer slammed based on her injury is actually the top draw at the park for my family, The ingenious arrangement that allows you to move around the entire park without having to walk in congested sidewalks under a Texas sun is outstanding. We loved the waves in the indoor section of the river and the rapids section in the back of the park.

My family will most certainly be returning on a regular basis. I look forward to checking it out during the winter season as well.

And oh yeah, heading to the park Tuesday through Thursday would be wise.

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I am sure it would be great when less crowded!”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We went to Schlitterbahn on Friday July 25. When we arrived at opening the park was fine, but by 11:00 it was so crowded that we spent all of our times in lines or in the rivers which were so crowded you couldn't move and they were dangerous (more about that later). Unlike Disney or Seaworld, where there are always things to do without lines (shows, parades or less popular rides), this park is smaller and everything is packed. We left around 2:00 and in the four hours we were there our family went on 11 rides (that includes both of the "rivers". Ok, that means each ride cost us $3.25, not worth it. By far the worst part of the day, and why we left at two, was when my 13 year old and I were in a double tube going around the Whitewater River. It was so crowded and right when we got to the area that goes under a bridge and there is a concrete divider with NO padding to protect you someone pushed us and I crashed head first (it sent us backwards and I couldn't see the post) into the concrete post. I had such a horrible headache from that we had to leave. So, when people say go during the week in summer I would say Friday is not a good choice either. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday? For the price and more importantly the lack of supervision in the rivers from staff I will not be going back.

1 Thank CristinaTx
houston
“Kids had a blast! Loved being able to bring in own picnic!”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We've lived in the Houston area for 3 years and finally made the weekend trip to Galveston. Spent all day Friday at Schlitterbahn. Packed our rolling cooler w/plenty of drinks and food, and brought our wagon for our 3yr old and gear. We also have 3 other children (12 yrs, 9yrs, 6yrs) We found a table under one of the pavillions and parked our stuff and it was fine leaving it there. Also served as a great meeting place as we had to split up since the 3 older kids wanted to do different things than my 3yr old could do. The big kids loved it. A few issues for me though, the water seemed too warm...not enough ramp access to areas...the river floating was a bit scary when there are SO MANY floats together, many were empty so we would get bunched up and those people that were out of the floats were getting squished in the water. That did seem dangerous to me. There are also not enough "pink" floats---double floats with one open side and one with a bottom that a small child can sit in. W/o that part they can "sit" in, it is too easy for smaller children to fall through the tube. And even though signs everywhere say to leave your floats so others can use them, the people lucky enough to snag one of those w/a bottom in one side carted them around all day so as not to lose their prize possession.

Also, there is an area in the river float to choose to go left toward the "white water rapids" or the more subdued waves and if you are not completely to the left you can't get over in time. At one point we lost my 9yr old daughter because me and my other 2 boys got trapped to the right. Thank goodness she knew where to go and met us back at our picnic table. I was freaking out until I saw her. And of course the lifeguards didn't care...in fact, at one point at the end of the rapids area you go thru a small tunnel one tube at a time and the guards have to help you. The two young girls working this area were so rude and loud about their displeasure it was amazing to me. I had the chance to hear them go on and on because they kept pushing others thru before me and my son...we waited about 5 minutes while person after person was shoved thru the tunnel before us. I blow that up to typical teenage disrespect. They just don't know any better than to be rude to patrons at their jobs. But all in all we enjoyed ourselves and will probably go back. I'd like to choose a day in the middle of the week though when it isn't so crowded. Also, we got our tickets ahead of time at HEB and paid $2 cheaper for each, so we saved $10 total.

dallas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good family fun as long as you avoid the crowds”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Schlitterbahn was fun. The wife, son, and I had a good time. Just be careful and go only on the weekdays and avoid the crowds. Don't know why the other reviews were complaining about Safety. It's not like they have rollercoasters in there or something... the worst that can happen is drowning. The lifeguards were ever present and watched us like a hawk. When I fell face first trying to surf on the boogie board... well that was part of the fun. I can understand complaints when there was wall to wall people though. Schlitterbahn apparently doesn't have any limits to the number of guests admitted.