“Good family fun as long as you avoid the crowds”

Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark
Ranked #14 of 101 things to do in Galveston
dallas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good family fun as long as you avoid the crowds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

Schlitterbahn was fun. The wife, son, and I had a good time. Just be careful and go only on the weekdays and avoid the crowds. Don't know why the other reviews were complaining about Safety. It's not like they have rollercoasters in there or something... the worst that can happen is drowning. The lifeguards were ever present and watched us like a hawk. When I fell face first trying to surf on the boogie board... well that was part of the fun. I can understand complaints when there was wall to wall people though. Schlitterbahn apparently doesn't have any limits to the number of guests admitted.

Oklahoma City
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A fun, family waterpark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Me, my wife, my six year old boy and 4 year old girl went the ghe Galoveston Schlitterbahn waterpark on Thursday, June 19. We arrived at 10 (opening time) and stayed until around 5pm. We had a blast and the kids said it was the best part of their vacation (they rarely go to waterparks)

When we arrived, we paid $5 for a locker that is big enough to hold your valuables, sunscreen and maybe some flip flops, but don't think about storing your food in there. But don't worry, just put your cooler and towls on one of they many tables avalable and then go have fun. Every one does this and there seems to be no fear in having your stuff stolen. We brought just snacks and drinks, but many families brought full fledged meals.

The food there is reasonable prices, much cheaper than movie theater or ball park food. The quality is okay and the service can be good or bad, depending on if your cashier speaks english or not. (the park employs a lot of foreigners, and their nationality is on their nametag. This is cool, but language barriers were a problem when I ordered the cheeseburger "combo".)

The park is in three sections, including one that is supposedly indoors and used in the winter. The indoor part did not look very fun. The lines weren't that bad early in the day. They got longer on some rides, remained short on others. I didn't try all the big slides because of the kids. The Torrent River and rapids ride is relaxing and fun, but also requires supervision of the kids because the waves can get high.

My kids didn't notice, but the kid areas were not that fun. There were three and they werw small and had one in each section of the park. We only saw two, so the one we missed may have been the best.

Overall, we had a great time. The parking is free and the policy of bringing in coolers can save a lot of money. You should definitely try this park out if you come to Galveston. However, just by glancing at it, I don't recommend the indoor park in the winter. It just doesn't look anything like the Great Wolf Lodge or other indoor parks.

2 Thank garbi
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not that much fun”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

I used to live in Galveston and everyone I knew did not like it. I went last year and will never go back. I flipped out of a tube and cut my elbow, the lifegaurds just laughed. My friend and I left after being there for only 3 hours. If you are going to go to a Schlitterbahn DEF go to the one in New Braunfels, SOOO much better!

1 Thank ktaggie2010
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun, but lacking in safety...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

We went to the park on Wed 6/18/08. Our kids are 6yrs, 11yrs and 14yrs, we all had a nice time on the river and the waterslides, lines were not that bad, maybe 20-mins or so. We left our things at a pic nic table and went back to it on and off all day, nothing was messed with and we liked that.(kept our valuables in a locker) **In response to previous review....If I needed a place to eat and all tables were taken, I would have eaten at any table that just had an ice chest on it , and then left the table after I finished eating) We thought that the rails should be higher when climbing up to the slides, and as FUN as the river IS, some children should be "required" to wear a life-vest because it can get pretty rough and it's hard to all stay together. We had a really nice time and we would go back (only on a week-day) but as parents, we did see cause to worry on some things.

5 Thank honestmeTexas
phoenix, az
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Save your money, don't go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

We went on a Saturday in June and it was wall to wall people. They should not allow that many people to have entered the park. The river ride was like a mosh pit and very unsafe for children. The tubes were so smashed together on the river ride that if someone got stuck underneath it could be disasster. The lines to the bathrooms were very long and bathrooms were not clean. People brought in their ice chests and set them on picnic tables and it was impossible to find an open table. The sad thing is that there were no open picnic tables any where. We bought our lunch there but there was not chair or picnic table available in the entire place because they allow people to put their ice chests on picnic tables all day saving them till they eat their 30 minute lunch. The same for the chase lounges and the chairs, they were all being saved for someone. Some of the slides had wait times of over 1 hour. Our children are 3 yr, 4yr and 6 yr and there really wasn't very much for them to do. No big pool for them to really swim in, just the little baby pool and than they had these smaller pools that feed into the river but the current was so strong in that it wasn't safe for small children to swim in. Their prices are way too high for what you get. Save your money and don't go or possibly go on a weekday.

2 Thank bmoraine