“Winter visit to Galveston Schillterbahn”

Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark
Ranked #19 of 109 things to do in Galveston
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went to Galveston Schlitterbahn on December 27, 2012.

Pros -
-Well worth it for the kids and maybe most adults with the limited rides,
-Take your food and drinks
-Customer Service - assisted me with my lost key. Didn't have to wait long. The employees were mostly, college age and a few teenagers (unlike what other post said) and very courteous. Free tubes, parking, out door hot tub.

-No crowds. We did not have to wait for any rides.

Cons -
-It maybe cold for some. I thought it was ok, The air temp at the "lazy river" was definitely cooler than the kids area but I had not problems (but my wife did). She also thinks the Comal River and Barton Springs is freezing.
-only a handful of "adult" rides but nothing to complain about.

The outside weather was 40-50 degrees and windy. I was not sure what to expect, as I read good and bad reviews about the indoor park. I had a 2, 6 and two 8 year old children with me and my wife. We arrived at 10 am and was ready for the unknown. We were one of the first there, we paid for a locker for our valuables. The locker was small about a 12 x 12 x 12 inches. Big enough for a purse and wallet and a few other things but not for our jackets.

As we walk through the gates, they check our bags and ice chest for any glass bottles but this is standard for anyplace that allows you to bring in your own food (which I suggest). As we brave through the cold wind, we are told to go to the area that has the "kids" play area, it is warmer there. We head out to the locker area and secure our valuables, it is warm inside with the heaters, I am sweating with my sweatshirt on. As we walk to the kids area, I realize our 2 yr old doesn't have any swim diapers, so I head back to the locker but I can't find my key. I am not sure how this happened but I lost the locker key in 2-3 minutes. I asked an employee for some assistance and he calls someone, within 5 minutes, they opened the locker and informed me to get a new one at the front. So off I go and get a new locker.

I go to the kids area and my kids and niece are in water having fun. I walk in the pool area (only 6" - 18" deep), the water is warm. The kids are enjoying themselves for 30-45 minutes. They ask to go somewhere else. Off we go to the lazy river. Walking there is an adventure. Keep in mind it is 40-50 outside and very windy. The indoor area use plastic tarps that keep the heat in and the cold air/wind out The 1 minute trek is chilly but bearable. At the lazy river we notice the temp difference and get in the tubes. The water is not as warm but comfortable. I would say it is around 72-75. The kids area is around 80. The kids had a blast with the waves.

It takes about 5-6 minutes for a round trip voyage. We did this for about 30-40 minutes and then had lunch. Take you food and save money. After lunch I took the kids to the out door hot tub. The swim up bar looked so tempting but I had children with me so we stayed in the water as it started to rain. We didn't care because the water was comfy.

We went on all of the fast rides but only a handful are open. I told our kids we would leave at 4pm. They fussed but had the look of "I want to sleep" now. We left the park but not without buying some cotton candy.

All said and done. I would give a 4.5 for the park. I had a blast even though I couldn't go with my wife on the rides. Someone had to stay with the 2 year old.

Would I go back? Definitely! would I go during the summer? probably not due to the crowds.

2  Thank ATM1876
in 11 reviews
"short lines"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been season pass holders at Schlitterbahn for two years now. The facilities are very clean and family friendly. They also have more than ample life guards on duty. Weekends in the summer can get very crowded; we like to go after 3:00 in the afternoon as it gets less crowded.

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We love to visit Galveston in the off season & always include Schlitterbahn in our trip. They do a great job of keeping you warm and offering enough of the slides/river to be fun. The lack of lines makes going from one slide to the next quick & easy. You can bring your own food & drinks to this water park which is a huge money saver if you have a large family like us, but the food prices there are not horrible so that's an option as well. I recommend for all ages!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

this is a nice waterpark to have only an hour away from us. i like that we can bring in our own food/drinks which saves money and if the kids get hot you can go inside and swim. love it

See more reviews
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am an avid water park-er. My all-time favorite place is Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. That park is HUGE and awesome and one of the 3 parts is completely run on river water. So with those high expectations in mind, Schlitterbahn Galveston was a little bit of a let-down, due to it being much smaller. However, it's still a great water park and even better than New Braunfels in some ways. For example, New Bruanfels is hard to navigate around in just one day, it's too big, but you can easily ride everything at Gavleston in one trip. It also has a much better lazy river system, there's actually 3 rivers that converge at points, and it basically takes you around the whole park. There's a regular lazy river that splits off into two, and connects with a really fun wave pool river. There's also some great slides and tube-slide rides. It's not too crowded, even on hot days in the summer, and wait time in lines is reasonable. You can bring in your own food and drinks in coolers and leave it out and no one steals anything. Overall...GOOD, but if you want GREAT, head to New Braunfels! (Or Noah's Ark at Wisconsin Dells!)