“Reserved room was downgraded”

Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel was an average Quality Inn. The room was pretty spacious and the bed was comfortable. Everything seemed clean (although there was an unpleasant antiseptic “hospital” smell very noticeable in the the hallway), and we like the convenience of the refrigerator and microwave. Breakfast was average. I would probably have given this hotel 4 stars based on comfort of the bed, cleanliness, and easy to find location right on Seawall Blvd.… but there were some problems.

First, my reservation was changed without my knowledge. I reserved a King Suite two months in advance, using the Advance Purchase Rate (non-refundable, no cancellation). A few days before our stay, I received an email reminder. Scanning the reminder, I did not notice that the word “suite” had been removed. When we checked in late in the evening, we were given a standard king room. Arriving in our room, I knew something wasn’t right. But it had been two months since I made the reservation so I thought maybe it was just me and I let it go. However, checking my email confirmations after our return, I saw that the word “suite” which appeared on our initial confirmation had been removed in the email reminder we received. The price was unchanged, though a standard king room should have been cheaper than the suite we reserved. I have no idea how, why, or who changed our reservation.

This is a big deal to me. I reserved and even pre-paid for a particular room, and I expect to get the room I paid for. So that seriously affects my rating. But I might still have gone with 3 stars, because the room was comfortable….Until the morning when I was in the bathroom getting ready to leave, and saw a roach climbing up the wall. Ewww!

The “partial sea view” was quite limited. Check my photos. You have to walk across a large parking lot and then across the street to access the beach. It’s not far, but you should know that the hotel is not directly on the beach and the rooms do not have forward-facing views. You have to sort of scrunch into the corner of the balcony to get a view of the sea… which is beyond the view of the parking lot.

I also include photos of the laundry facility and pool. We did not use these, but if you have an extended stay the laundry can certainly be convenient to have available. The pool is indoors so can be used year round. There is even a limited amount of covered parking if you are lucky enough to snag one of the covered spaces.

The price can vary wildly. We paid a low off-season rate. Just a couple of weeks later, at the end of January, rates were showing on the website more than twice as high. Not sure why they were so elevated that weekend (still off-season), but if your dates are flexible it would be worth your time to check various dates.

I try to be fair in every review, pointing out the good and the bad. The room here was spacious and the bed was comfortable. But given the change of our reserved, pre-paid room and the roach problem, I certainly think this is a case of Buyer Beware!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Luckybeckyblue
Journeyman1234, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hello, I wish I knew who this is so I could investigate this reservation, but from what I saw about your getting confirmation e-mails and the advance pay option, I assume you made it on Choicehotels.com. We at the hotel can only give you what the reservation that goes directly into our system calls for, we have no control over this, and we would never give you something you didn't reserve. The only reason you couldn't cancel, is because you booked a special advanced purchase rate that is much lower than normal, and part of that plan is that it can not be cancelled...this is noted on the site. If you would like to call me, I would be happy to look into this further and see if there is any remedy available for you. As far as views go, we advertise a "partial view" and that is what we have. We get many positive reviews from people who love the views on this very site, so I am sorry you were unhappy, but we gave you what we advertise. We do not advertise that "we are on the beach". There are no hotels on the beach in Galveston, due to the hurricanes we sometimes get. We are across the street on the Seawall, just like everyone else. We value the opinions of our guests, and appreciate your review, they are very helpful for helping us improve our guest's experiences. Best Regards,
James Marx, GM.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Beachfront

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our stay was great! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was nice and clean. The view from the room was amazing. Breakfast was typical free breakfast more fruit would have been nice. It had great access to the

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tfreach1
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great place for your pre-cruise stay and enjoy the Gulf before you sail! Clean rooms and all rooms have a great view of the Gulf. They also, have free parking while you cruise. Swimming pool is in doors. Free breakfast that is plenty to tie you over till you get on the ship. Wife and I always stay here before our cruises out of Galveston, TX.

2  Thank papa1952
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We have stayed here twice and each time the rooms were excellent. Comfortable beds, refidgerator and microwave in the rooms. We love to sit out on the balcony and listen to the oceans waves before retireing for the night and drinking coffee in tne mornings. What an excellent view of the ocean. We hope sometime we can stay longer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kbake00y
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Was granted early check in. The elevators, hallways and our room were dirty. There was a bag of trash that sat in the hallway by the elevator the entire time of our stay. The front desk clerk 'had a cold' and was serving/setting up the breakfast food. Our room, jacuzzi suite, was dirty. The jacuzzi tub had scum around the jets. The tile had not been washed in a long time and there was nail polish in the bottom of the jetted tub. Do not book this hotel for full price, choose an off day (sunday-thursday).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sassytraveler16
Reviewed December 20, 2012

First let me say the staff was very friendly and informative. Special request for accessible room was attended to before we arrived. Good selection of breakfast items laid out well with large seating area. Room was clean but halls could use some extra attention. Perfectly adequate for a stay in Galveston where you do not expect to spend most of your hours at the hotel anyway.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a value! Excellent quite rooms, great beds, fantastic continental breakfast! The staff are eager to help with their advice on restaurants and attractions. This wonderful gem is just across the street from the sea wall. A wonderful stroll as the sun sets, or a dip in the indoor pool. Laundry is on site. We will be staying here on our next trip.

Room Tip: even handicap access rooms
1  Thank Robert_Mark