“Harbor Cruise from Pier 21”
Review of Port of Galveston

Port of Galveston
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We enjoyed a 1.5 hour harbour tour on board the Seagull II. It was warm, sunny with only a slight breeze, a perfect combination for a tour on thewater. There were only about 20 or so people on board, so there was plenty of available seating. After a brief life jacket demopnstration the tour got under way and we were able to go on the upper deck which had unobstructed views 360 degrees. The tour passed by the Crown Princess and the Disney Magic which were in port loading passengers. The captain narrated the entire trip, explaining the various other vessels in port and jack-up rigs and floating oil platforms under retrofit. The mosquito fishing fleet offered a close up view of the fleet and resident pelicans. The boat passed by Seawolf Park ofr a water side view of the USS Stewart and the submarine. Several other vessels passed by, including the Bolivar car ferry. All in all it was a pleasant diversion at a reasonable price.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I took a cruise on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston from January 27, 2013 to February 3, 2013. We purchased round trip transfers from Houston Airport (IAH) through Carnival and were very disappointed in their service. Bus was several hours late picking us up from the airport and also several hours late upon debarkation from the ship. Not well organized by Carnival!
Upon arriving at the terminal we stood in line for almost three hours waiting to get through security, they blamed this on the ship coming in late! Did not make a great start to the cruise.

The Carnival Magic ship itself was a pleasant experience. The room staff kept it very clean throughout the cruise and we always had clean glasses and towels in the room. They also left ice in the room several times a day. There was plenty of food available all day long. The buffet was pretty good and had lots of choices. We ate in the Southern Light dining room each night and the food was good. We had Lobster one night, Filet Steak one night and Prime Rib on another evening. The "every day" part of the menu could use improvement, as the choices were quite limited. I wish they would put Filet Steak on there instead of Flat Iron Steak. All in all, the staff were were very good and friendly, always said hello when passing in the halls. We were joined on the cruise by my Daughter, Son-in-Law and 2 Grandsons ages 5 and 8. The 8 year old celebrated his birthday on the cruise and they decorated his room (paid for by my daughter) and sang to him at dinner. This was a very nice touch! The kids enjoyed the cruise and they were able to eat all of the things they liked such as hot dogs and pizza. The dinning room staff fussed all over them and made sure they had something for dinner they liked, even made pasta for them that was not on the menu. Only problem was that the kids had so much fun that they would become overtired and a little ornery! I commend the staff on taking great care of the kids!
This cruise is more tailored for the younger generation with kids than for the senior generation. There were very limited activities for the older generation.
The evening shows were good but you needed to get there very early to get a decent seat.
I gave this review only three stars because of the transfer problems. Probably would have gone four stars if Carnival had there act together with the buses.
Good cruise for young families but not great for seniors. Spoke with other seniors while waiting for transportation back to the airport and they all said they were luke warm about this cruise and would try something different the next time.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I have been cruising for 29 years . For the past 10 years the majority of the cruises have been carnivale. The "magic" has been the ship of prefrence for the past 3 cruises. The employees really go out of their way to make your cruise special but it appears that corporate may not be on the same page. This cruise on non port days the ship did not serve a breakfast and lunch in the normal dining room- they served a brunch. I am a senior as is my wife and I choose to cruise for the service and I really do not want to stand in line for the buffet of the day or have the ship decide that the buffet is better than a breakfast and lunch.
The brunch was advertised as a comedy club type brunch but there was no entertainment.
On the bright side the dining room staff was outstanding.
I spoke with a number of seniors on the cruise and the general opinion was to bring back the breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms everyday.

They

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have taken two Carnival Cruises out of Galveston. Both times we purchased parking at Galveston Park and Cruise. Its across the street and perfect. No waiting on shuttles to take you to the boat and back to your car. The port is easy to get to its a straight highway shot from Dallas to Galveston. Since this is the only port we have ever left out of I'm not used to anything else. But its very easy to find and easy to get to and using the parking across the street we are in and out of our car quickly. Inside the port, the employees seem to know what they are doing. This time we arrived a little later, so yes we had to wait in line outside but it moved pretty fast. The first time we arrived close to 12:30 and were one of the first ones there...so waited in a seating area inside. Everything has flowed quickly both times we left from here. I've been very happy with the process and employees.

5  Thank skalvarado
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Galveston is a great place to go. So many places to eat. and hang out. It's fun when the Rally is on. Or any other ''party'' is happening. Mardi Gras is one of them as well. The whole city is the party. Such a relaxed atmosphere..and tons of fun.

1  Thank GenieMHS72