“My 5 year old loved it.”

Galveston Island Railroad Museum and Terminal
Ranked #11 of 103 things to do in Galveston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The museum itself was entirely average. There were 4 tracks that had older (sometimes quite musty) cars and engines on them. The bathroom was stellar; clean, stocked, and roomy. The additional buildings containing other exhibits were being remodeled and didn't really contain anything. Train rides are on weekends only. There is a penny press.

1  Thank Macy S
There are newer reviews for Galveston Island Railroad Museum and Terminal

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really didn't want to see this exibit, but it was on the list of things my husband wanted to do. I was pleasantly surprised. Tickets are cheap ($6 each I think) and even if the only thing you look at is the amazing model train set-up, it IS worth visiting.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The parking is free and the museum is a wonderful self guided tour museum. I was able to go in and out of trains, take pictures, and see the exquisite china that was used in the dining cars. I loved the miniature train display that moves when you push a button and it shows a night scenery, too. Then as I entered the big part of the museum, they had the "ghosts" so one could get an idea of what it was like to be in a train depot in the old days. After touring the fabulous Railroad Museum, I was allowed to keep my car parked in their free parking lot and go downtown. I accepted that offer and enjoyed The Strand and other streets and attractions. Before returning to my car, I had one more opportunity to enjoy the Railroad Museum one last time and take picutres. This was an awesome place to visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

You can buy tickets for a little trip on a train. Do it! Fun, little kids loved it and so did I. Inside neat train displays and history. Outside you can climb through old trains. Some are fixed up and other not. Lots of places for pictures!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Unfortunately there is little to see at the museum and we felt it was not worth the cost. We hope they will be adding more exhibits.