“Excellent Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Los Compas Taqueria & Mexican
Ranked #72 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Beaumont, Texas
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

This is some of the best mexican food we have eaten. The place is a little small but the favors are huge and so are the portions. Hot sauce was excellent has a spicy after bite. They also now serve dinner. Will definitly be back!!!

Lake Buchanan
“Nice find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Wife noticed this place when we were driving on 45th Street; small restaurant in a house - she said she knew it would be great. Four of us went back for lunch and she was right. We arrived at 11:40 and the place was packed. Lunch special was Pork Guisada w/ potatoes in a spicy tomatillo sauce; we asked the guys at the next table if it was good, and they said they came to Los Compas every Tuesday just for that. 3 out of 4 ordered the Special, and the server came over and said they had just run out. It must be good to be gone that early, but the place was rocking. Instead we had beef fajita burrito, gorditas plate, quesadilla, and enchiladas - all were good, especially daughter's enchiladas. Service was good, and owner (I think) was very friendly, engaging and hospitable. Total was about $25.00 with tip. We shall return!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank John W
USA
“Decent Mexican fare”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I ate here at lunchtime on a Wednesday based on a recommendation. My family and I arrived to a packed little place that is a few blocks off of the main thoroughfare, Seawall Blvd, on 45th Street. I was impressed at how busy they were on a weekday lunch, but most of the folks in there seemed to be locals who were enjoying a nice lunch and came from a very diverse array of ages and occupations. Due to it being full (about 2 dozen people or so) there was a bit of a wait, for those of you who care about such things, of 5 minutes before a server visited our table, and once ordered, the food took 20 minutes to arrive.

I ordered the Los Compas Special (taco, tamale and enchilada with sides of rice and beans) a can of coke while my wife ordered the chicken quesadilla, which also came with sides of rice and beans. Both meals included the veggies, sour cream and guacamole that you'd expect, as well as the typical pre-meal salsa and chips (note that the salsa is runny and has a bit of a kick that will sneak up on you spice wimps). Total cost of meal was $18.61 after tax and before tip.

My food was ok, but did not have the burst of fresh flavor that I'd expect from a small, little place like this. My wife's quesadilla, however, was quite good and if I were to return, I would probably go with that, rather than the special.

If you order a Coke here, you have the option of getting it in the typical aluminum can, or in a glass bottle, if you prefer.

Visited January 2012
Houston, Texas
“Best Mexican Food on the island!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

This place was not good but Great!!!
Small place but Huge Taste! Los Compas is definitely one of my pit stops whenever im at Galveston. if your looking for some Great Mexican food this is the place!!!

• Visited August 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

We arrived in Galveston and asked the front desk at our hotel for a great place for lunch. He sent us to Los Compas. We LOVED it. Best Mexican I have ever had. Locals frequent this place so you know it is good. Prices are great, fantastic service. Parking a little tough but well worth it. Open only for breakfast and lunch - Mon- Sat 7 - 2 and Sunday 8- 2. Don't miss this one!

• Visited October 2011