“Great breakfast spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gumbo Diner

Gumbo Diner
Ranked #12 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Seafood, Diner, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dallas
“Great breakfast spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had a wonderful breakfast here. My egg-white omelet was well cooked and very savory. The beignets are amazing! It's a bit pricey, and we did not have any other meals, so I can only review the breakfast. Service was good.

San Antonio, TX
“Just Okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent the weekend in Galveston, wanted to try some gumbo. Had been seeing their ads and decided to try it. It was Restaurant Week, so we got a package deal for a fixed price, which was good. Had a small Caesar salad, Seafood gumbo, and bread pudding, all for $10 - the lunch price. The salad was okay, fresh, lots of cheese; the generous portion of gumbo was pretty good, had lots of shrimp, crab, and oysters, and the dessert was a basic bread pudding with chocolate topping.
The young wait staff were courteous and attentive. All in all, it was okay, but if we had been charged the dinner price of $20 each, I would have been upset.

Galveston, Texas
“disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

we were looking forward to trying the new gumbo diner on seawall.
The seafood gumbo they forgot the oysters. The hamburgers were frozen patties without any fries. The chicken fried chicken was edible, potatoes were lukewarm, and the french bread was uncooked. Comparing this location to the other location of Gumbo Diner, they were missing the ciopolino (which we enjoy) and did not have sweet potato fries. Terribly idsappointing since the staff was nice.

1 Thank scrabbler1
“Nice for a late evening meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I were looking for a small late dinner meal. We decided a nice bowl of gumbo might be just what we needed. I thought the $9 per bowl price was a bit high for the small bowl, but the portion was huge. It wasn't a cup at all; it was a chef salad bowl size. Our server was very attentive even though it was near closing time. I would love to go back and try the beignets.

• Visited December 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Beignets on the seawall!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I would not have eaten here for breakfast except my wife wanted to try the beignets, but I am glad we did!! We were warmly greeted by Lela, the manager and Shay, our wonderful server! My wife had her usual girlie girl breakfast, this time a egg-white veggie omelet, while I had a real breakfast! My glorious breakfast included a crisp waffle lathered in butter, then I took the 3 slices of bacon I ordered on the side and crumbled them on top of the waffle! I then thinly sliced 1/2 of the slab of ham I ordered on top of all of that and covered the whole thing in warm syrup! I love southern breakfasts!! Finally, to top of this "ELF" size breakfast, we split a pair of sugar coated yummy beignets! They were so good we came back for a late night dessert, but this time we added chocolate syrup and ice cream! While we were there for our late night snack, we sat at the bar and noticed the counter guy was making a delicious bowl of gumbo. I know it was delicious because he was kind enough to serve my wife and I perfect bite size portion! Great service, great food, great view!!

• Visited December 2013