“Best Service on the Seawall!”
Review of Gumbo Diner

Gumbo Diner
Ranked #8 of 315 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Looking to try something new on our recent trip to Galveston we stopped in for lunch at The Gumbo Diner and ordered the namesake gumbo and a Po-boy. It was a typical hot, humid day in Galveston and brought out a tremendous thirst which the wait staff promptly cured by seeing to it my glass was never empty! Portions are HUGE and can easily be shared. Their gumbo was hot, flavorful, and full of goodies, but it was somewhat thin without the great roux- body I was expecting. Oysters in the Po-boy were flavorful, well seasoned on a special roll with home made mayo and slaw. Delicious!! Restaurant was extremely busy at lunch, but the service was efficient and extremely friendly. I will go back!.

There are newer reviews for Gumbo Diner

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice cozy little diner on the seawall with a great view. The staff were very friendly and the management even spoke with us. For lunch we chose the fried shrimp dinner with homemade fries and the fried shrimp po-boy. The shrimp dinner had 10 large shrimp with tails and oodles of hot fries. The small po-boy was about 8" and toasted with a hot/mayo sauce. Delish! All the shrimp tasted fresh, too. We were told that this place just reopened in March, after recovering from a storm, so the place was spotless and the décor all new. The menu offers a daily special and it seems they have a well stocked bar. As others noted, parking can be tight in front. What a pleasant experience not to be ripped off on a main drag. Good food, service, an awesome view and reasonably priced.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Wow! Have things changed since this was the former Dutch Kettle. We had lunch there yesterday. The staff was pleasant, the food was good, and the new design is impressive.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice Breakfast menu, I never had lunch only breakfast, but it was excellent, and you have an ocean view from inside the restaurant. Most breakfast meals were $7-$10.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This used to be a Waffle House. Don't be scared by this. It's squeaky clean, crisp decor with fresh paint and they're working with the structural elements like overhead ductwork. Still has that Waffle House exterior but inside is a nice surprise.

We missed the breakfast menu on a Friday morning, so we ordered the daily special -- Shrimp & Grits. While we were waiting for our order and watching the two cooks in the open stainless steel kitchen, we were lamenting not having ordered the fresh oysters on the half shell or the grilled oysters. this topic came up because the day's seafood delivery was coming in the front door and clearly the oysters were fresh. Our server overheard us and suggested the grilled oysters, so we ordered happily. Nice upsell, but a welcome one.

The oysters were $10 for 8. Nicely grilled on the half shell, sprinkled with garlic butter and parmesan cheese that got crispy but left the oysters perfectly plump, juicy, and frilly. The order came with a few slices of garlic toast to sop up the oyster juices and extra crispy bits of parmesan. Seriously good, and while I usually prefer my oysters raw, I would definitely order those again.

Now for the shrimp & grits: best I've had outside South Carolina! The grits were soft and creamy, with enough butter and cheese to keep them together but not stiff, nor were they runny or greasy. Nicely seasoned, with a sprinkling of chopped green onion tops for extra flavor and fresh crunch. The huge bowl of grits came topped with 9 large (2-bite) tail-on shrimp that were perfectly cooked and seasoned: they still had some "pop" when I bit into them, they had a buttery garlicky dusting of something mild and smokey, like maybe Spanish Paprika? Not strong like Old Bay, but whatever it was, it was good.

They have Modelo and Dos XX on tap, a good selection of bottled beers, wines, and I think a full bar. The iced tea was fresh without that funk that comes from using the coffee maker to brew tea, the refills all came with lemon, and my glass was kept full. My husband's diet Pepsi was refilled without asking as well. Nice touch, as were the cloth napkins and grind-your-own sea salt and pepper.
We will definitely go back. In fact, we may go back tomorrow. It was THAT good.