“Friendly Folks, Nice View, Good Food”
Review of Gumbo Diner

Gumbo Diner
Ranked #9 of 316 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice Breakfast menu, I never had lunch only breakfast, but it was excellent, and you have an ocean view from inside the restaurant. Most breakfast meals were $7-$10.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This used to be a Waffle House. Don't be scared by this. It's squeaky clean, crisp decor with fresh paint and they're working with the structural elements like overhead ductwork. Still has that Waffle House exterior but inside is a nice surprise.

We missed the breakfast menu on a Friday morning, so we ordered the daily special -- Shrimp & Grits. While we were waiting for our order and watching the two cooks in the open stainless steel kitchen, we were lamenting not having ordered the fresh oysters on the half shell or the grilled oysters. this topic came up because the day's seafood delivery was coming in the front door and clearly the oysters were fresh. Our server overheard us and suggested the grilled oysters, so we ordered happily. Nice upsell, but a welcome one.

The oysters were $10 for 8. Nicely grilled on the half shell, sprinkled with garlic butter and parmesan cheese that got crispy but left the oysters perfectly plump, juicy, and frilly. The order came with a few slices of garlic toast to sop up the oyster juices and extra crispy bits of parmesan. Seriously good, and while I usually prefer my oysters raw, I would definitely order those again.

Now for the shrimp & grits: best I've had outside South Carolina! The grits were soft and creamy, with enough butter and cheese to keep them together but not stiff, nor were they runny or greasy. Nicely seasoned, with a sprinkling of chopped green onion tops for extra flavor and fresh crunch. The huge bowl of grits came topped with 9 large (2-bite) tail-on shrimp that were perfectly cooked and seasoned: they still had some "pop" when I bit into them, they had a buttery garlicky dusting of something mild and smokey, like maybe Spanish Paprika? Not strong like Old Bay, but whatever it was, it was good.

They have Modelo and Dos XX on tap, a good selection of bottled beers, wines, and I think a full bar. The iced tea was fresh without that funk that comes from using the coffee maker to brew tea, the refills all came with lemon, and my glass was kept full. My husband's diet Pepsi was refilled without asking as well. Nice touch, as were the cloth napkins and grind-your-own sea salt and pepper.
We will definitely go back. In fact, we may go back tomorrow. It was THAT good.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The seafood omelet was very good. Others with me said they liked what they had also. Small place with not much parking. I parked in a lot behind the diner. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Heard the resturant was fairly new, some friends and I tried it. Everyone ordered the sausage and chicken gumbo it was good but not exceptional as far as gumbos go. My wife is Cajun I've had great gumbo. With the name we thought it might be more cajun styly food. One of the guys asked for red beans and rice and the server offered up green beans or mac & cheese, it has somewhat of an odd mix on the menu, Only (2) gumbos to choose from yet the place is called Gumbo Diner. I personally would not go out of my way to eat there again, but it was close to hotel and food was ok.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Too expensive. Food was terrible (all four of us agreed) and the service is just OK. It's nothing but a redone Dutch Kettle, no ambiance whatsoever.

If you want gumbo then go to the other Smecca owed places and get some ambiance and really good food and better service...Gumbo Bar or Saltwater Grill and for Italian Nono Tony's is very good.

1  Thank criticalchristopher