“Surprisingly good food and delightfully good service”

Tortuga Coastal Cantina
Ranked #68 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stopping in at a chain restaurant at 2:00 in the afternoon, I didn't expect much more than a decent meal, but I was pleasantly surprised.

We were seated in a booth by the window, which was nice, but as the place is old, the booth seats kept rocking and making noise. Bad start. But, once we received our food, the good times started. I had the Lunch Seafood Stuffed Avocado, substituting a green salad for the beans and rice. Both the salad and the entree were very generous servings. The vegetables mixed with the shrimp and crab were still crisp (love that!) and the queso poured over the top was neither thick nor runny. My husband ordered a combination plate with a taco, queso tostada and two enchiladas. Both of us ate till we were too full because the food was just too good to leave. That's a rare sentiment from either of us.

Our server was attentive without hovering, and very pleasant.

We will have to go back because I've got to have that stuffed avocado again!

Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

Love this place! The spinach enchiladas are phenomenal and the margaritas are very good! Definitely one of my favorite restaurants on the island!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We chose to eat here because we were staying in the hotel next door. It was a great choice. We were able to try some foods we had not tried before, and really enjoyed them. Our server was fantastic. He made our dinner very enjoyable, and he was wonderfully accommodating. We had just come from a stroll on the beach where we had collected some shells so we asked him for a to go box for the shells. He did one better and brought us a potato salad container that kept our shells safe while we were on our cruise! Food and margaritas were great...I could have easily stayed and kept enjoying margaritas for hours! There was a family at the next table celebrating a birthday, and the wait staff made it very fun for them! We would drive a ways to eat here again!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We ate here kinda of late but the service was fantastic and the food was great! The waiter was very accommodating and treated us like we we're the only customers in the place. We had appetizers and drinks. I had a top shelf Margarita which had plenty of alcohol in it.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We had the ultimate fajitas- I have eaten a lot of them and these were some of the best we've ever had . Tender, flavorful. The rice was homemade with a hint of lime. Salsa was fresh and not salty.( saw a prior review). Absolutely would come back and reccomend.