“Best Gumbo Ever”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We are from Chicago and were in town over the weekend looking for some fresh seafood. Found the Gumbo Bar and had a awesome meal. My husband had a Shrimp Po'Boy which he said was outstanding and every bit as good as New Orleans. We both had Gumbo, he had the seafood I had the Chicken Sausage. I am a gumbo freak always looking for the best and this was certainly some of that. I might have moaned a few times while eating. But be warned the Big Daddy size is huge. Also had the garlic bread which was delicious. Beer selection was very good. Staff was attentive and prompt. Wish we had one of these places in Chicago I would be there all the time.

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Came from Kansas for gumbo and soft shell po-boys. They didn't have the po-boys and ran out of bud light. Waitress was great. Suggested we return on Friday that they should have crabs by then. So we came back and they not only didn't have the soft shell crabs but was still out of bud light.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We visited the Gumbo Bar in Galveston with some co-workers one evening in April. For our entrees we had the fried shrimp and a bowl of gumbo. We also had cole slaw and dessert, which were both really good, but for me the shrimp was exceptional. I have had fried shrimp in many restaurants but this really just stood out for me. The service was good, as the wait staff was attentive but didn't hover. We sat outside on the sidewalk and the atmosphere was really nice. The street is not terribly busy so it was very enjoyable to sit outside and visit while we had our meal.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Many of you must like this place but we found the gumbo the worst we had ever ordered. It is very dark and tastes like all the ingredients are over powered by the flavor of beef bullion. We ccould not taste the shrimp, sausage, okra, etc. Everything tastes the same and it was not good.

Additionally, the staff seems to have an aversion to cleaning - table tops, rest rooms, etc.

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Four of us had different gumbo combos. All great taste, but watch the quantities. The big daddy is, well, too big for me, but I finished it anyway. Could not leave something that good.
We all agreed best Gumbo this side of N'Orleans.