“Gumbo Heaven”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013

OMG! WOW!Stopped in this place today on a visit to Galveston, the place was fresh and the smell of gumbo was in the air. The menu consisted of many different kinds of gumbo, my wife had the seafood and sausage and I had the Mumbo Gumgo which had Oysters, Chicken, Andouile Sausage, Shrimp and Prime Rib. What a fantastic gumbo this was, the roux was a deep dark chocolate color and tasted like gravy heaven. I have had some very good gumbo's in my time and this place is definitely in my top 3. As a matter of fact it may be the best I have ever had.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Oh man was this place good. I have been reviewing recipes on line to try and duplicate at home. Service was great not just one person the whole staff. Everyone was waiting on us. Drinks were always full. Food and service I dont think could get any better. Should have found earlier in our trip.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Wish I would have gone here last night for my birthday dinner over Willie G's (horrible). The breakfast was excellent, menu enticing, food very fair priced and good portion. Beverages expensive over the average. Looks like a redone dinner and questionable from the outside which doesn't do it justice. Nicely decorated, clean inside, great atmosphere.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Excellent little bar & gumbo joint in the Strand. We sat outside on the sidewalk, sipped our cold $1 drafts, and people-watched until our delicious bowls of gumbo arrived. Shrimp, oysters, okra and rice in a dark, spicy roux - very tasty. Good value, too - two people had a nice dinner for about $25, including drinks & tip.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We wanted a quick inexpensive meal in Galveston so we checked out Tripadvisor and the Gumbo Bar got high marks. It is everything that the reviews have said about it. The gumbo was great, as good as any that I have had in New Orleans and the service good. We sat outside and enjoyed dining alfresco. We will be back.