“Good food and big portions”
Review of Rainforest Cafe

Rainforest Cafe
Ranked #27 of 315 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Good food and big portions”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in Galvestion in the off season on a Thursday evening and was having a problem finding a place to eat at 9pm that wasn't either closing the kitchen down or wasn't a full on bar...so we ended up there because we knew the food was good. The chicken egg rolls are really good, and we made the mistake of ordering too much food...since the portions are quite large. Kids will love this place...but prepared to pay some money...it is like a Disney production.

• Visited October 2012

Houston, Texas
“Of course it's overpriced but ...”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The atmosphere is what you're paying for. I've been to this location several times and I've always come out content knowing what I was going in for. The food is average for a tourist place, the drinks are a little weak, but the staff and fun atmosphere (VOLCANO!) definitely make up for that.

If you want a fun place for the kids, I would recommend this place.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank KL-0713-
Houston, Texas
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Loved the feeling of being in the rainforest. Food was so so.
Great place for families just to go and look at the fish tanks. Wow such a nice place. Go and order an appetizer or a dessert to enjoy this place.

Visited October 2012
Houston, TX
“Over-priced”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I ate here with our daughter for lunch on a Sunday. Place was fairly quiet, no wait for a table and the hostess let us pick where we wanted to sit. My husband chose to sit in the back near the waterfall - bad idea - it was so loud back there that we could barely hear each other or the server. Although it was interesting to look at.

I was expecting the place to be expensive and it was, but $8.49 for onion rings? You've gotta be kidding! Even so, we still ordered some, but I wish we hadn't - they were average at best and nowhere close to worth the price.

My husband ordered a margarita, which looked impressive in a nice big curved glass with the logo on it. But when the server asked if he would like a refill, it was then we realised that he had been given a 'souvenir' drink - one where you get to keep the glass. Would have been nice if the server had mentioned that when my husband ordered it - he would have been happy without the glass (and definitely without the $13 price tag).

The food was average, again not worth the prices. I had the chicken fried chicken, which was a large piece of chicken with a small scoop of mashed potatoes (only one side here). The chicken was well cooked, but at the end of the day, it was just chicken fried chicken, nothing to write home about.

Service could use some improvement too. Our server was not over friendly, and just gave off a 'I don't really want to be here vibe'. We were also put off when it came to pay the bill - after giving her cash she asked us if we wanted change. She was basically expecting to get a $30 tip! I personally just think that is in poor taste. Also, seeing other servers congregating at a table in the bar area as we were leaving - that just confirmed that service isn't too high on the list of priorities here.

Overall, it seems like they are happy to coast along on the novelty factor of the place, rather than provide good food and service in an interesting enivronment. It was interesting to see the place once, but we won't be back.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank AussieinTexas
Calgary, Canada
“Great staff!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Staff are very welcoming and friendly. The store has lots to keep kids busy from the store to the ride to the entertaining decor. Food is good.

Visited October 2012