“we love Italian food”

Mario's Ristorante
Ranked #49 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: It all started back in 1967 when Sicilian born Giovanni Smecca decided to move to Galveston, Texas from Patterson, New Jersey after hearing Glen Campbell’s famous “Galveston” during a card game. Giovanni always dreamed of being a professional fisherman, so he decided to give it a shot and made the drive to Galveston. After battles of sea sickness, Giovanni quickly decided that the fish business wasn’t for him.Heartbroken, Giovanni was about to move back to New Jersey when he met Mario Bonaccorso who was trying to open a pizzeria. The two became great friends, and together, these two young Italian entrepreneurs started Mario’s Flying Pizza and brought the “pizza pie” to Galveston Island.Today, we are still family owned and operated and are considered a delightful, neighborhood restaurant with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We serve a wide variety of Italian cuisine and New York style pizza and strive to use fresh, seasonal, ingredients wherever possible, so come on in, sit back, relax, and enjoy a wonderful meal and a nice glass of wine at Mario’s Ristorante!
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The view of the Gulf was awesome. The food and presentation were excellent. All of us were completely satisfied (food quality and value-for-the-price).

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stopped here for lunch. The kids ordered a pizza which they shared, my wife ordered the fettuccine alfredo, and I ordered the lasagna. Everyone enjoyed their food immensely. Personally I think the lasagna may have been the best I've ever had. Our waitress was very attentive and interacted well with our children.

1  Thank joshdanell
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Since I travel for business each week, sometimes I like a nice, light meal in a casual setting. Mario's perfect with everything Italian from pizza to tender veal in a light wine sauce. Good service, fair prices, and a surprisingly good set of wines by the glass. If you want white table cloths, Mario's is not your place but for good food, reasonable prices, and great service you would be hard pressed to do better.

1  Thank Holeinone53
GSmecca, Owner at Mario's Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for your review and most importantly for dining with us! Hope to see you again on your next Business trip to Galveston!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Good for a quick dinner while in town, but wouldn't go out of my way to pick this place. The ambiance is so so.

Thank you for your review. We are always looking for ways of improving our business, so customer feedback is very helpful. Please take a moment to let us know what we can do to make your next visit better.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Lots of good feedback on Tripadvisor made us go to Marios. For Europeans who have been in Italy or have been in restaurants with real Italian chefs, will probably not recognice the genuine Italian cousine. I example the pizza dough was not even close. No real coffee, no blottlegger water and so on. I was very disappointed.

My sincerest apologies for your visit! I hate to hear that anyone left disappointed. Unfortunately, I'm sure it is too late now, but if there is a next time, just ask for me personally and I will make sure that our Chef puts together something more traditional for you and your family.