“Nice little pizza place!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mario's Ristorante

Mario's Ristorante
Ranked #42 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It all started back in 1967 when Sicilian born Giovanni Smecca decided to move to Galveston, Texas from Patterson, New Jersey after hearing Glen Campbell’s famous “Galveston” during a card game. Giovanni always dreamed of being a professional fisherman, so he decided to give it a shot and made the drive to Galveston. After battles of sea sickness, Giovanni quickly decided that the fish business wasn’t for him.Heartbroken, Giovanni was about to move back to New Jersey when he met Mario Bonaccorso who was trying to open a pizzeria. The two became great friends, and together, these two young Italian entrepreneurs started Mario’s Flying Pizza and brought the “pizza pie” to Galveston Island.Today, we are still family owned and operated and are considered a delightful, neighborhood restaurant with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. We serve a wide variety of Italian cuisine and New York style pizza and strive to use fresh, seasonal, ingredients wherever possible, so come on in, sit back, relax, and enjoy a wonderful meal and a nice glass of wine at Mario’s Ristorante!
Texarkana, Texas
“Nice little pizza place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I went here while on our anniversary vacation to Galveston. We had been driving pretty much non stop and we hadn't gotten to sit down and eat a nice meal in a couple days and really wanted pizza so after reading the reviews on this site we decided to give this place a try. The atmosphere is nice, and you can tell it's a family place because there were lots of kids there. The waiter we had was really friendly and helpful and he got our order correct. We had a 10" pizza with spinach on one half and olives on the other (vegetarians) and a side of the cheest garlic bread. The pizza wasn't wonderful, it was like any pizza you can get just about anywhere else, but it wasn't bad either. The garlic bread was AMAZING. Probably the best cheesy garlic bread I've ever eaten. It was really rich though. and The sauce they give with it is more of a tomato soup based sauce rather than marinara, and we loved it. The price wasn't too bad, I think for a 10" pizza, the sauce, and 1 drink (I get water) it was around $19. They had desserts that looked really good but we were full and didn't get a chance to try them. Overall I really liked this place. The only complaint I have is that it took a while for us to get our food and there weren't that many people in there, but that was ok with us at the time because we were exhausted and just wanted to sit and talk for a while.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GSmecca, Owner at Mario's Ristorante, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the garlic cheese bread and if you guys ever make it back this way feel free to ask for our marinara sauce if you are looking for the traditional style sauce since we server the garlic bread with our tomato sauce. Hope to see you again!

Austin, Texas
“Good basic Italian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

A good restaurant that serves basic Italian food along with some more "upscale" entrees. The portions are large, there are smaller versions of some plates if you don't want as much. Some of the prices are a little high, but if you poke around on the menu, you can find what is right for you.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the feedback, Kevin! We appreciate hearing what our customers think and thank you for taking the time out of your day for telling us!
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Awesome pizza. Pricey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Went to the one on 61st Ave. Not the one on the seawall.

Great Pizza. Very Expensive. $18 for a 2 topping large pie. Very good quality of ingredients. Didn't dine in... had takeout. Restaurant looked nice inside.

Visited July 2013
Texas, the Lone Star State
“Good, not spectacular”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a very nice meal at Mario's. The atmosphere is casual and seems well-suited for families. There were tons of small children in the place, and they all seemed to be having a great time. I would consider this more of a family place than a "date" place.

The waiters are friendly and provide good service. The food seems fresh and the portions are large. We didn't try the pizza, but we saw lots of people eating it, and it looked good.
Overall, we had a great dinner, but it didn't knock my socks off.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
“Great Celebration Meal-Gluten Free”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I wanted seafood but will never turn down gluten free pasta. I got the penne shrimp pomedora. It was soupy but absolutely tasty. My son wasn't as happy because he likes al Dante pasta and it definately was not. The desserts are beautiful and made there. I got the gluten free chocolate cake. It was so rich that I should have ordered a milk. Beautifully done! Our waiter was great, he was the trainer. My only words for him was "tune up your personality, you need to relax and smile. Stop heavy breathing, use a bit more deodorant or don't get so close." Okay the last part was from my hubby. I didn't smell him.