“Benno's on the Beach”

Benno's on the Beach
Ranked #30 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Looking for fresh local seafood and a casual beachfront atmosphere? Benno's on the Beach has both! Our menu offers a variety of Cajun grilled, golden fried, and hot boiled entrees. Dine in or take out today.
Hondo, Texas
“Benno's on the Beach”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had the ettouffe which was way too tomatoey, tomatoe paste is supposed to be for coloring. Ettouffe is supposed to be spicy, no it was bland. And I had to search for the shrimp. My wife had fried crawfish, which was pretty good. The place is just O.K, I have had better. There are better choices in Galveston like the Fisherman's Wharf which has a good view of the beach.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jarvis O

“Overlooking the Gulf of Mexico”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Benno's is a casual diner that you walk up to order then they delver to your table. The serving sizes are generous and hot out of the kitchen. I would recommend the fried oyster dinner. It's cooked to perfection not over done and tender with a great batter full of flavor. It comes with fries but I substituted them for seasoned potatoes they were great! They also have ice cold beer you can enjoy with your dinner. The place is usually busy but there is plenty of room inside and out and they clean up quickly so the next guest can enjoy. We will be back!!!

• Visited July 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We wanted something authentic and casual on the beach. The one positive was its location on the beach. We arrived after 9 on a Friday and it wasn't crowded. I waited 15 min plus just to place my order. Counter service was unfriendly. And don't expect a healthy meal. Once seated, it was another 30 minutes to get our food. I had to check on it BC it seemed we were the last left without food. And it wasnt crowded! I got the Cajun shrimp and it was ok but the shrimp were ridiculously small. My husband got the fried shrimp and catfish. The catfish and its batter was tasty, the hushpuppies and fries were nothing to write home about. I'd skip this one. Guess it would work if ur on the beach and desperate for lunch. That said, 2 entrees, a cup of gumbo, and 2 beers was $43. Thankfully we didn't have to tip!

2 Thank Hollie H
Lima, Peru
“Nice place with good food. A little overpriced though.”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Definitely enjoyed the food, which was not Lousiana quality but still good. The hushpuppies are the best I've had in Texas, fried oysters and shrimp were good, and someone at a different table ordered the fried catfish that was huge and looked like a good plate to order. Definitely overpriced but worth it every once in a while.

Holly Lake Ranch,TX
“Great Cajun Style Seafood!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have found that for consistently good, moderately-priced seafood, Benno's on the Beach is the place in Galveston! Don't go to Benno's for the smiling service, because you won't find it. Orders are placed at the counter, you pay and are given a number and the food is brought to your table usually by a pleasant server. The people people behind the counter tend to be surly and sometimes just plain rude! But, on to the food...Seafood of all types is offered grilled, blackened, or fried and is consistently well prepared, particularly the Cajun grilled platter! Portions are large enough for the biggest appetite and always piping hot. Gumbo and Po Boys are a good lunch choice. We always look forward to our meal at Benno's and are prepared for "the battle at the counter, but relish the meal that follows, The food far outweighs the service!