“Crispy and fresh”

Benno's on the Beach
Ranked #29 of 308 Restaurants in Galveston
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Looking for fresh local seafood and a casual beachfront atmosphere? Benno's on the Beach has both! Our menu offers a variety of Cajun grilled, golden fried, and hot boiled entrees. Dine in or take out today.
Rio Vista, Texas
“Crispy and fresh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

We ate here the day before our cruise enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The outside area was perfect to watch the beach. The wait for food was a little long (30 min) but worth the wait in our opinion.

• Visited November 2012

Kansas City, Missouri
“Gotta Try The Boudin!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

It is very spicy...but good! They make their own. Also, lots of seafood. Price is $$ on a scale of $$$$. I recommend this place.

Visited April 2013
Houston
“Good Seafood and Great View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Benno's has an awesome patio with good seating and a great view for Galveston Island. The food is good, but too much of it is fried or soaked in butter. If you are looking for a healthier option here, the boiled shrimp are excellent, but watch the butter soaked corn. Best thing on the menu, hands down, are the Cajun oysters! I would definitely recommend thus restaurant to anyone visiting the island.

• Visited April 2013
Arlington, TX
“Picnic-Style Surroudings on the Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Nothing fancy about Benno's. Walk-up ordering, red-checkered table clothes and hot seafood served with French fries and hush puppies. Benno's is right on the beach and has an outdoor seating area for those wanting to feel the salt spray. Looked like a lot of locals dining there - always a good sign.

Visited March 2013
“Don't get the hype but would give it a second chance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My son and I went to Benno's while on our annual Spring Break vacation. The restaurant was strongly recommended to us by the bar tender at the hotel at which we were staying, but I have to say, I just didn't get the reason for all the hype. The restaurant is rather small inside and if it is the busy season you should expect to have difficulty finding a place to sit. When we arrived, the line was out the door and I would say we waited in line for 25 minutes before we submitted our order at the counter. This is the aspect of the place that perturbed me the most. Because of the restaurant's small size, people standing in line and people sitting at their tables or otherwise trying to move about the restaurant were falling over one another. It just seemed to me that while counter service may have been an efficient way to handle customers at one point in Benno's history, it has long since outgrown that manner of customer service. The food was good but not great. My son ordered the crawfish étouffée, which he said was quite bland. I ordered the crab cakes, and they were good, but the piece of shell I found in my first bite tended to taint the meal. We both had an ear of corn on the cob, but it doesn't take a trained chef to boil an ear of corn. I think it was the service aspect of the restaurant that bothered me the most. I would also say that the food was only average. I will say that the popularity of the place intrigued me enough that if I were to be in Galveston again, I would definitely give it a second try. If that many people think the restaurant is great, there has to be a reason for it.