“What a sandwich”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I joined a mixed group of tourists and locals for an early evening supper. You have to order at the counter, so if you want ONLY sit-down service, don't come. But the line moved quickly and the lady at the counter was friendly and efficient. I ordered the Island Slammer. When it arrived I ate the shrimp off the top, six succulent and GRILLED-to-perfection large beautiful shrimp. Then what I had left was one of the best bacon-lettuce-tomato-cheese sandwiches I've ever had on a can't-be-beat roll. The place was a little noisy, but I was too busy smacking my lips to notice. Oh, mama!

1  Thank Robert H
James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and for your business! I love your review and hope you don't mind if I feature it on our Facebook page. The Island Slammer and the Turkey Divinity are our top two most popular sandwiches and I think it's fair to say you can attest as to why the Island Slammer is. We take a lot of pride in the entrees we serve our guests and treat everyone as though they are guests in our home. It was our pleasure serving you and thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope to see you again on your next trip to our Paradise Island!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We visited the Mosquito several time during our stay in Galveston and it was always busy and justifiably so. The breakfasts were superb and dinner was also good. Everything is cooked freshly and the service was good.
There is plenty of parking and also outdoor seating.
There is even one of the famous tree sculptures in the car park.
Recommended.

1  Thank Littlesoapyfrog

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to dine with us (numerous times). We strive to provide an all around phenomenal dining experience including outstanding food, excellent service, a warm friendly atmosphere, and a true sense of value. Again thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again on your next trip to our Paradise Island!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was once one our favorite places to go but not any longer. Customers enjoy good food and interesting menu here, but MG has a seating problem that has now managed to agitate and anger customers. The last three times we've been here, we've encountered this! To have to fuss over a seat or be relegated to the upstairs (particularly with a mobility issue) has become a problem and not worth the effort. There are simply too many good restaurants in Galveston. Our visit yesterday was a quick one since we were told that no one in our party could take a seat until we've ordered. This just couldn't work for us and we won't be back until the MG enlarges it's seating area or finds a different solution.

2  Thank R J D

Thank you for your feedback. We're terribly sorry that our seating arrangements have become an issue for you. This summer has been incredibly busy and we do the best we can to accommodate all of our guests. We don't allow tables to be held for parties who haven't ordered yet as a courtesy to our guests who have ordered. There are exceptions to this situation though those with mobility restrictions, pregnant women, and for parties with reservations. Again I apologize and hope you understand that we're trying to be fair and reasonable to everyone. Please come back to visit us and let us know that a member of your party has a mobility issue and would like to have a seat, we understand and will take care of you. We hope to see you back in the cafe soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I took a visiting friend to The Mosquito and bragged about it being one of the best restaurants in Galveston. I was surprised and pretty disappointed. It had been awhile since my last visit, but I do not recall the over priced menu and unhappy staff. The place was dirty (especially the bathroom), there was soup on the floor which I barely caught myself from slipping on and the tea station had empty containers. So much for a refill. What happened to the smiling faces that used to greet customers? We had Chicken Caesar salads with warm soggy lettuce and two teas for around $31.00 with a tip. Embarrassing.

James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for your business. I feel terrible that your experience wasn't what you had expected or deserved. Our summer has been incredibly busy, our staff and management work very hard to maintain a wonderful dining experience for everyone. We are very well known for cleanliness and your experience was a rarity. We are constantly checking our beverage bar to make sure it's stocked and ready for our guests but occasionally several tea urns run out at the same time and it takes a few minutes to brew each one. The staff behind the counter in charge of the beverage bar would have gladly refilled your tea straight from the brewer. All of our entrees are made to order the only possible reason for warm lettuce would be the fresh grilled chicken that's laid on top of the salad. I'm sorry you feel that our menu is overpriced, just for reference despite the rising costs of everything the Mosquito Caesar with chicken has not increased in price in at least 5 years. We hand pick the premium ingredients for our entrees, we inspect and hand cut all of our romaine lettuce, we make our own croutons, we make our own caesar dressing, we use premium thick cut bacon, we use imported Italian parmesan cheese, and our chicken is fresh never frozen. For the quality and labor we provide we feel that our menu items are fairly priced and are comparable to some of our competitors using lesser quality ingredients. I'm sorry this is so wordy but you have a valid concern and I wanted to address it and make sure there were no misunderstandings. Please know we value your business and are excited that you want to share us with your friends and hope that you'll continue to. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I had read the reviews out here and expected alot seeing as it is rated #6 in Galveston?!? You order upon entry instead of being served by a waiter. For this kind of format, I felt that the prices were a little high. I got the Reuben and my husband got the fish tacos. They were average. We walked away full, but not overly impressed.

1  Thank aimeerosier
James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and for your business. I'm sorry you felt the prices were a little high. We've done our due diligence to make sure that our prices are fair for the premium quality ingredients that we provide. For instance our cheeseburger (half-pound certified angus beef patty, premium cheeses, fresh tomato, red leaf lettuce and red onions on a locally fresh baked honey wheat bun) is $8.99 and includes a side dish. A popular fast food chain cheeseburger with a quarter pound unknown grade beef patty with no fresh vegetables and no side is $4. We are proud to offer hand picked fresh premium quality ingredients for our entrees. I apologize your meal didn't wow you, both of the entree's you had are very flavorful and have a lot of hand made hard work incorporated. We hope that you'll give us another shot because we know you'll fall in love with us!