“A nice little cafe.”

Mosquito Cafe
Ranked #6 of 311 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“A nice little cafe.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I liked the outdoor area. I also liked the fact that this was a bit different from the normal formulaic eating places. I didn't like Cheesy Grits, but at least I had the option to try.

Visited March 2013
James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for your business! We enjoy providing extraordinary combinations of ingredients to make delicious entrees and we put our own twist on some of the more traditional entrees to make them more interesting. Sorry you didn't care for the cheesy grits I hope you told our staff so they could get you a different side. We look forward to your visit the next time you're in the Galveston area!

Galveston, Texas
“Awesome easter brunch”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went to mosquito cafe on easter sunday with my boyfriend. Place was busy but there was still room for us! Both enjoyed a great brunch and i even had a mimosa! We loved the food and they even have fresh baked cookies up front that i purchased as i was leaving and loved that too! I will be coming back with friends!

• Visited April 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for choosing to dine with us! We take great pride in providing quality, fresh made to order entrees and the fresh baked treats will get you every time. We look forward to seeing you again and if you have a party of 6 or more give us a call so we can reserve a table for you and your friends.
CEDAR PARK
“Really good food, service and ordering process need some work.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We decided to try this place out because it has a lot of Yelp reviews, and a generally good rating. We had an okay experience, but it could have been better.

Upon walking in, we weren't sure if we were supposed to wait to be seated, seat ourselves with menus or order at the counter. They really need an "Order Here" sign. Anyways, after asking another patron what we were supposed to do, we picked out our lunches and ordered up at the counter. The lady up at the counter was a little grumpy to our friend who asked if they had fries, which we didn't appreciate.

After that, we sat down at a nice table and waited for our lunch. Our friends got some pre-lunch snacks - the feta and spinach scone which was excellent, and the brownie which was also excellent. My apricot peach tea was also really, really good.

For our entrees, which we received after about ten minutes we ordered a shrimp wrap which my friend said was pretty good, the almost-reuben which my husband said was alright, the mushroom soup which didn't quite taste like mushrooms - more like cream, the turkey chili which my friend said was pretty good, and I had the turkey divinity. While I really liked my turkey divinity, I had to eat a lot of the turkey and grilled apples in it in order to eat it like a sandwich. The bread was so stuffed that there was no way I could eat it like a sandwich the way that it came to me. It also dripped a lot of grease from the bacon that made it kind of messy. In addition, there was *a lot* of mayo on it that it truthfully didn't need.

This is a really nice, local type place and definitely a relaxing place to sit and have lunch whether it's inside or outside. They are located in a charming neighborhood just off the main drag and it was nice to see a place that wasn't jacking up their prices to tourist trap height. We definitely got a lot of food for our money which is a refreshing experience in Galveston.

• Visited March 2013
James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for you feedback on here and on Yelp. I'm going to provide the same response for both reviews.
~Typically our staff members on the dining room floor greet the guests as they arrive, present them with menu's, explain the ordering process while showing them the chalkboard specials, and address any questions the guests have. Sometimes on busy holiday weekends our staff members may miss the new guests as they arrive but will take care of you as quickly as possible. Brooke was your cashier, she is really a sweet girl and if she came off harsh it wasn't intentional often times we get compliments on how helpful and nice she is.
~Our daily fresh baked desserts or "pre-lunch snacks" are always a hit, I like to tease people and say that dessert makes the best appetizer. Our fresh loose leaf teas and coffees are premium quality and the taste proves that!
~Your group ordered a great selection of entrees, I hope you got to try a little bit of everything. The brandy mushroom soup is a cream based soup that has a good portion of puree'd button mushrooms in it so you should pick up the mushroom flavor followed by rich creaminess. The Turkey Divinity is a borderline fork and knife sandwich it really does overflow with all of the incredible ingredients!
~We aim to provide a friendly, warm, and fun dining experience serving fresh premium quality entrees for fair reasonable prices.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to your next visit!
Dallas, Texas
“Great foot and friendly service”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been going to Mosquito Cafe for years, and always pleased with the food there. They have a fantastic menu that has something for everyone on it. The food is high quality and they have unique dishes and sides that make the meal fantastic. Food is the highlight here.

The downside is that it takes FOREVER to order. They have only one register, and you order at the counter. For whatever reason it is fingernails-on-the-chalkboard frustrating waiting for everyone to get their order in. So go with a "we have all day" attitude and that helps. Seating is also very limited, as is parking. Those are the only negatives, but don't let them scare you away. It's a must do in Galveston. I really wish they could fix their order process because it's just stupid slow, and doesn't help when patrons don't know what they want when they get to the counter despite staring at the menu and waiting 10 minutes to order. Duh.

• Visited January 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for continuing to dine with us. We take great pride in the quality, unique, and fresh entrees we provide. As far as the ordering process goes, we'd love to be able to increase the efficiency of the ordering process but our little kitchen would not be able to keep up. On top of a little kitchen every entree is made to order to ensure we are providing the freshness and quality everyone expects and deserves. You have the right idea, come in with the laid back island life mentality and it'll ease your frustrations. To address your seating and parking concern I did a quick calculation; when you combine our dining room, patio, and upstairs overflow seating we can seat 140 people (pretty impressive for the size); the neighborhood streets are always available for parking. We have staff members on hand to help explain the ordering process to our guests when they arrive but we are always catering to the guest who isn't quite sure what they want. Again thank you for giving us your feedback and for repeatedly being a guest in our home!
Houston
“Very Good!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

"Never disappointed" These two words say it all. They have a great menu to cater for all, and lovely food. Always worth a visit when in Galveston. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
Thank you for your review and your business! We hope to never disappoint and please tell us immediately if anything is ever sub-par so I can fix it right on the spot. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in Galveston!