“Really good food, service and ordering process need some work.”
Review of Mosquito Cafe

Mosquito Cafe
Ranked #7 of 315 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We decided to try this place out because it has a lot of Yelp reviews, and a generally good rating. We had an okay experience, but it could have been better.

Upon walking in, we weren't sure if we were supposed to wait to be seated, seat ourselves with menus or order at the counter. They really need an "Order Here" sign. Anyways, after asking another patron what we were supposed to do, we picked out our lunches and ordered up at the counter. The lady up at the counter was a little grumpy to our friend who asked if they had fries, which we didn't appreciate.

After that, we sat down at a nice table and waited for our lunch. Our friends got some pre-lunch snacks - the feta and spinach scone which was excellent, and the brownie which was also excellent. My apricot peach tea was also really, really good.

For our entrees, which we received after about ten minutes we ordered a shrimp wrap which my friend said was pretty good, the almost-reuben which my husband said was alright, the mushroom soup which didn't quite taste like mushrooms - more like cream, the turkey chili which my friend said was pretty good, and I had the turkey divinity. While I really liked my turkey divinity, I had to eat a lot of the turkey and grilled apples in it in order to eat it like a sandwich. The bread was so stuffed that there was no way I could eat it like a sandwich the way that it came to me. It also dripped a lot of grease from the bacon that made it kind of messy. In addition, there was *a lot* of mayo on it that it truthfully didn't need.

This is a really nice, local type place and definitely a relaxing place to sit and have lunch whether it's inside or outside. They are located in a charming neighborhood just off the main drag and it was nice to see a place that wasn't jacking up their prices to tourist trap height. We definitely got a lot of food for our money which is a refreshing experience in Galveston.

James C, General Manager at Mosquito Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for you feedback on here and on Yelp. I'm going to provide the same response for both reviews.
~Typically our staff members on the dining room floor greet the guests as they arrive, present them with menu's, explain the ordering process while showing them the chalkboard specials, and address any questions the guests have. Sometimes on busy holiday weekends our staff members may miss the new guests as they arrive but will take care of you as quickly as possible. Brooke was your cashier, she is really a sweet girl and if she came off harsh it wasn't intentional often times we get compliments on how helpful and nice she is.
~Our daily fresh baked desserts or "pre-lunch snacks" are always a hit, I like to tease people and say that dessert makes the best appetizer. Our fresh loose leaf teas and coffees are premium quality and the taste proves that!
~Your group ordered a great selection of entrees, I hope you got to try a little bit of everything. The brandy mushroom soup is a cream based soup that has a good portion of puree'd button mushrooms in it so you should pick up the mushroom flavor followed by rich creaminess. The Turkey Divinity is a borderline fork and knife sandwich it really does overflow with all of the incredible ingredients!
~We aim to provide a friendly, warm, and fun dining experience serving fresh premium quality entrees for fair reasonable prices.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Mosquito Cafe

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been going to Mosquito Cafe for years, and always pleased with the food there. They have a fantastic menu that has something for everyone on it. The food is high quality and they have unique dishes and sides that make the meal fantastic. Food is the highlight here.

The downside is that it takes FOREVER to order. They have only one register, and you order at the counter. For whatever reason it is fingernails-on-the-chalkboard frustrating waiting for everyone to get their order in. So go with a "we have all day" attitude and that helps. Seating is also very limited, as is parking. Those are the only negatives, but don't let them scare you away. It's a must do in Galveston. I really wish they could fix their order process because it's just stupid slow, and doesn't help when patrons don't know what they want when they get to the counter despite staring at the menu and waiting 10 minutes to order. Duh.

Thank you for your feedback and for continuing to dine with us. We take great pride in the quality, unique, and fresh entrees we provide. As far as the ordering process goes, we'd love to be able to increase the efficiency of the ordering process but our little kitchen would not be able to keep up. On top of a little kitchen every entree is made to order to ensure we are providing the freshness and quality everyone expects and deserves. You have the right idea, come in with the laid back island life mentality and it'll ease your frustrations. To address your seating and parking concern I did a quick calculation; when you combine our dining room, patio, and upstairs overflow seating we can seat 140 people (pretty impressive for the size); the neighborhood streets are always available for parking. We have staff members on hand to help explain the ordering process to our guests when they arrive but we are always catering to the guest who isn't quite sure what they want. Again thank you for giving us your feedback and for repeatedly being a guest in our home!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

"Never disappointed" These two words say it all. They have a great menu to cater for all, and lovely food. Always worth a visit when in Galveston. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you for your review and your business! We hope to never disappoint and please tell us immediately if anything is ever sub-par so I can fix it right on the spot. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're in Galveston!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Easter Saturday Morning : The queue was hanging out of the door and we almost turned away but I remembered reviews said '10 minute wait' so we stayed - and was I happy we did! We waited for 11 minutes before reaching the counter and placing our order, with a 'not so friendly lass'. We are from South Africa, so she probably didn't care for our accent.
We then patiently waited for our food, becoming more and more grumpy as time went by. Thirty odd minutes later the food arrived and my grumps turned to grins when I pierced the eggs in my Mosquito Benedict and the yolk oozed like delicious lava all over my meal - wow it was great! And even better, four big, plump shrimp hidden like gold nuggets under the potato and egg whites. I can't find anything negative to say about our meals, except maybe that there was just too much food to finish. Compliments to the chef - really great meals - thank you. We will most certainly be back and will spread the word.

Thank you for your kind words and for staying and dining with us. Your review title "Best Neighborhood cafe I've been to" really means a lot to us thank you! Our holiday weekends are generally very busy but we anticipate that and have extra staff on hand to try to make your wait as minimal as possible. Our little kitchen works as hard and efficient as possible to get your entrees out, every entree is made to order so occasionally there is a little wait but its definitely worth the wait! We are sorry for your experience ordering at the counter and it has been addressed. Who doesn't love a South African accent??? Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you in the cafe again!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Cute place! Great service! The chalkboard specials were crazy good. The crustless quiche was phenomenal. We also had the turkey, bacon and Brie sandwich plus the green chili burger. The most fabulous thing of all was the side order of cheesy grits! I am not sure which meal was the best. They were all outstanding. Next time, i am going to get a slice of the lemonade cake - literally everyone was getting a piece! I think they went through 3 whole cakes while we were there i highly recommend this place!

Thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing to dine with us. We are voted as the best breakfast in Galveston which means that our Sunday Brunch is a major hit! Providing fresh, delicious, and unique entrees is the name of our game. Our daily fresh baked desserts are to die for especially the Lemonade Dream Cake... next time save some room or take a piece with you, you wont regret it! Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the cafe again soon!