“Average, but maybe great for Galveston?”
Review of Saltwater Grill

Saltwater Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Saltwater Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: American, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 21st Street
Description: The Saltwater Grill is located just steps away from The Grand 1894 Opera House. Featuring an array of tantalizing fresh-from-the-grill and fresh-from-the-kettle seafood specialties, Saltwater Grill is in a class of its own when it comes to quality and attention to detail.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We ate here before a show at the Grand Opera House. We started with crab cakes. I had a bowl of gumbo, then my mother had the sweet potato crusted catfish & I had seafood linguine primavera. The best part of the meal was the gumbo - it was really delicious and I wish I had ordered it as my main entree. The crab cake & linguine were average, and I did not care for the catfish at all (though it was served on a very nice bed of sauteed spinach). The service was good, but not anything special or above and beyond what I would expect from this type of restaurant. Their wine list was decent, and some of the bottles were priced very well. We ordered a bottle of wine that was $19 that we'd never had, but turned out to be pretty good. We were able to have them cork the bottle and take the rest back to our hotel. The location is great - there is parking next to the restaurant for guests and there is plenty of street parking within a block or two.

I'm not familiar at all with the dining options in Galveston; this was my first visit in several years and I chose the Saltwater Grill based on Trip Advisor reviews. I've had much better meals in my hometown as well as in other cities, and think that this was a pretty average experience compared to other restaurants I've dined at at a similar price point. But, without having much else to compare this to in Galveston, perhaps this really is one of the best options on the island.

Brittany R, Manager at Saltwater Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the gumbo! On your next trip to Galveston, we encourage you to try out one of our other Galveston Restaurant Group locations!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Everything about our dining experience was great. Dined with another couple. My husband and I shared the barbeque oysters with blue cheese. Delish. We shared the house salad and the special entree that night, the red snapper. It was all so good! Our server was Calvin. Service was professional, friendly and well paced. A new favorite restaurant in Galveston!

Hi Susan!

We are honored that you now consider Saltwater Grill one of your favorites! Come back anytime and thanks for giving us your feedback!!!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

So many choices but finally decided on the Coconut Almond Crusted Grilled Salmon with fresh asian vegetables! Friends had BBQ Shrimp, another had a pasta dish and they were all Excellent.

Hello Sherry!

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself at Saltwater Grill! We look forward to your next visit with us. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We went and started with the Chardonnay Mussels which were excellent. I had the bouillabaisse for dinner and it was right on target. Our server struggled with pouring a beer several times, but overall the service was good.

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the review! We're so happy you enjoyed your meal. We will double check that all of our servers know how to properly pour a beer! We apologize for that. Come back and visit us next time you're on the island!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

In the Historic District, very good food with emphasis on fresh seafood, preparation is not run of the mill, the saltwater salad was excellent, enough for 2 people if served with an entree. the mustard vinagrette was excellent and a nice combo with the blue cheese sprinkled on salad. Pot stickers offered as an appetizer were excellent as was the soy type sauce served on the side. Big Daddy gumbo was also flavorful. Atmosphere was nothing special, would probably be the only criticism I have. Somewhat dreary and bland but seemed clean, bar area was nice.

Thanks for the review! We appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your meal!