“terrible service, decent entres”

DiBella's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 319 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've been going to this restaurant for many years. The food has always been good if not exceptional. But two recent visits in the past week have put us off in a way that we may never return. We were told on one evening that the restaurant had run out of red wine, which is a first in any Italian restaurant we have ever patronized, and would be a capital offense anywhere in Italy. We left without ordering. We returned two nights later to be told that they had run out of lettuce and thus wouldn't be serving salad! We stayed for the second meal, but repetitively had to ask the over-his-head-waiter to bring water, bread, wine, etc. The owner sat through both evenings engaged in eating and drinking with friends. Perhaps he should have been paying more attention to what was and was not happening in his restaurant.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

After a day of strategic planning, I took my Advisor and a colleague to DiBella's. The atmosphere was perfect and meal very good. The restaurant, while dark, is open, casual and warm. My Advisor enjoyed the rich fettucini alfredo and I the vegetable dibella (note if you really want it vegetarian, request it, otherwise the dibella sauce has a chicken broth base). Thanks, in part to the well tested wine list, we were full, happy and relaxed by the end of the meal.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This little restaurant was very 'Italian' and fun to go to with wonderful family owned atmosphere and attentive service. The interior is small and intimate with very good food. Worthy of attending.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I checked a month before we were to visit Galveston to see if they could reserve a table for 24 people during the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a room to ourselves once a couple of tables vacated early that evening. We only had one waitress (sorry can't remember her name), but she was excellent and handled our crowd with no mistakes. I think everyone said their food was good, the entrees were large and several of us were able to split and still have enough to eat. It was a nice change from the touristy seawall restaurants which I have found were vastly overrated. One thing I did note that there was no pizza for the kids which was a little disappointing, but they enjoyed the spaghetti or frenchbread pizza (appetizer). Very enjoyable birthday celebration for me (I didn't have to cook, too).

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This has long been one of our favorite restaurants in Galveston, but this time, it was pretty bad. All the food seemed to be over-sweetened and otherwise not tasty. This was during Dickens on the Strand, so maybe it was because they were swamped and had to add inexperienced cooks, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.