“The food was fine, but the service made it better.”

Mario's Seawall Italian Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 314 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Austin, Texas
“The food was fine, but the service made it better.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's a small but nicely arranged place. They have lots to choose from, especially pizzas and desserts. Had the Four Seasons pizza and the arugula/proscuito pizza. They were average tasting. Our server, Oksana, was so friendly and though very busy, she stayed on top of everything. We were very pleased with her. Our experience would have been rated much less had it not been for the service.

Plantersville, Texas
“Lunch with family”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Fresh and hot buffet, the kids enjoyed trying the different pastas and pizzas. It was well prepared and not the usual "pizza joint" food..the dessert items on display and gelatos were made fresh daily. Recommended it to others and will definitely go back. It's toward the end of Seawall at 7th St. - Go down and try it out.

Visited July 2013
Frisco, Texas
“Great waiters - lousy manager!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our dance team (68 people) had a marvelous time at Mario's. Excellent pizza, fabulous shrimp and pasta..wonderful food. Unfortunately, we were not able to give alot of notice (3 hours), but I was told by the manager, Danielle, they could handle our party. We only had 2 waiters (instead of the normal 6), but Gilbert and Benny were more than up to the challenge. They kept everything humming and our food was brought out with virtually no issues (except for 1 meatball that took all night!). These 2 guys were marvelous, had smiles on their faces and always reacted quickly to all the requests coming their way. Everyone enjoyed the atmosphere, excellent food and wonderfully frantic pace Gilbert and Benny kept. Because of them and the food, we will be back!

Amazingly, I almost cancelled the entire evening after we arrived because of the manager. After we were seated and Gilbert and Benny had already taken most of the orders and were starting to have salads delivered, in walked Danielle. This was the first time she had come in to check on us and her first order of business was to count the number of people we had in our party. Then she asked for me and began to berate me that I had called too late, that we had 68 people instead of the 60 people I had reserved for (the banquet room could hold another 20), that she normally has 1 waiter to every 10 people and that I would have to be patient because it would be over an hour before the food would come out. She also chided me for not having everyone there at the same time to be seated and that she had held the dinner orders until everyone was there. In other words, it was my fault that she had accepted reservations for 60 people when she wasn't prepared for it, even though I asked her 3 times if she could handle this size of a party and she assured me she could. No one had complained about anything, she was just busy trying to blame me in case anyone did. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and she left never to be heard from again - thus the happy ending!

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gluten Free crust available!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Nice spot with a good menu which includes a gluten free crust. Thanks guys! BTW... kids loved playing with the dough you gave us. Even if it literally baked into bread in the car the next day. Oops! Must remember to take it out of the car.

Visited June 2013
Friendswood, Texas
“Great food and friendly service ruined by strange management”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The food was outstanding. Really delicious, and definitely authentic Italian. The calamari tentacles were a little crisp, but everything else was truly Great. Some of the best fried shrimp app I've ever had. They were so delicious because they were so fresh.

The waiters tried to do a good job, but with 3 different waiters assigned to us at different times it was hard for them to keep track. We had multiple parts of our order come out wrong or not come out at all, probably because between taking our order and delivering it to the kitchen we got a new waiter for no apparent reason. The fact that the new waiters section was far away from us didn't help either. Same thing when another waiter tried to help out. Just too confusing. At first we thought the changes were somehow prompted by the waiters or their actions, but later it became clear it was random. I don't think I've ever been out to eat where the meal was unsatisfactory despite good food and waitstaff who tried hard to do a good job and be friendly. We talked to the manager, and they did take the things we didn't get off the bill as well as make adjustments for things that were not prepared as ordered. It would have been much simpler, much better, and much more fun for everyone if they'd just left our waiters alone, though.