“Great atmoshphere”

Ranked #4 of 316 Restaurants in Galveston
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Went to Mario's for our first dinner on Galveston trip. Read all the good reviews and decided to try this place out. The decor and vibe of this restaurant was very good. We were seated without a wait and shown to our table. It was Friday night and still happy hour, so I decide to have a drink from their happy hour menu. It said call drinks $4, so I ordered a Crown Royal and Sprite. Now, I have been to a lot of bars in my life and when it says "call" drink it means you can call whatever you want in the drink. Apparently not at Marios. My Crown and Sprite ended up costing $6.75 because I called for the Crown Royal. Whatever!! We had the garlic cheese bread appetizer served with warm marinara sauce. This was pretty good. The warm sauce went well with the cheesy bread. For entrees my wife had eggplant parmesan, daughter had spaghetti and meatball and I had the Mario Combo which included fettuchini alfredo, chicken rosa and sirloin marsala. The alfredo was good, the sirloin marsala was very good. The rest was just okay. My wife and I did not care much for their eggplant parmesan. We both agreed we have had better elsewhere. This is a nice place for a date as atmosphere is very romantic. I did see a lot of people were eating pizzas here. If we return, that is probably what we will try next.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Had a recommendation to have dinner here. Went the Wed before Thanksgiving. Immediate seating, nice wine, great wait staff. Ordered a wood-fired Chicago style pizza. It was amazing. We will be dreaming of that pizza for years to come.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

Service, food & ambiance are great! The food here is fresh-made, and good Italian food is my weakness. After a piece of yummy bread, this visit, I had their lasagna, which they make with small chunks of Italian sausage. While there was too much sausage for me, I'm sure others would love that! The lasagna wasn't too heavy, and Mario's gravy (sauce) is delicious - and I'm hard to please.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

After seeing all the wonderful comments about Mario's here on tripadvisor, we were excited to give this place a try. We didn't eat the buffet, we actually went for dinner on a Saturday night. It was busy, so maybe that is why my food didn't impress me like I thought it would. The waiter we had was great but that is about all I can give a good rating. To start things off, my wife ordered the vegitarian delight salad for us to split. The salad looked great and didn't taste bad, but it was kinda bland and nothing to rave home about. I ordered the chicken parmesian and she ordered the penne pasta. My chicken parmesian was pretty dry and tough compared to some of the others I have had. It was just average. She says her entree' was kinda bland and didn't have much flavor. The kids ordered the white pizza. Waste of money because they didn't like it. Probably a bad choice on our part ordering the pizza because we didn't realize it was made without tomato sauce and would be dry. Maybe I will try this place again for the lunch buffet someday, but I probably won't be going back for dinner and paying those prices for average italian food.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

The food was amazing....The service was great and the waiter was awesome.